Those temp power bars

They're annoying.  They're unnecessary.  They're messing with my UI and I don't like it.

People in the help channel keep telling me that Null the Gull can make them go away, but I've talked to him multiple times (even accidentally a badge in the process) and I'm not seeing the option. 

Is there a way to make them go away?  Or am I stuck with a stupid power bar I don't need getting in my way every time I get a temp power?  And who thought it was a good idea to add those things without an option to disable them in the first place?

Null seems to be context sensitive, you only get the option to rid yourself of a bar your character can currently invoke.  Without Mystic Flight or Bright Nova or its ilk, the option doesn't appear in Null's menu.  I have no idea of you can use him to get rid of the pop up bars from temporary powers like from Summer Blockbuster.

So, basically, use a Pocket D teleporter in the middle of the Terra Volta respec trial, when you have a coolant belt on hand, and talk to Null at that point.

(Or the Abandoned Sewer Trial with its temp power weapons, or any other trial that's saddled you with a temp power...)

Or immediately afterward when those temp powers haven't expired yet, I guess.

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

So, basically, use a Pocket D teleporter in the middle of the Terra Volta respec trial, when you have a coolant belt on hand, and talk to Null at that point.

(Or the Abandoned Sewer Trial with its temp power weapons, or any other trial that's saddled you with a temp power...)

Or immediately afterward when those temp powers haven't expired yet, I guess.

The bar goes away after the TF, but the Temp remains.  I kept one yesterday.

And who thought it was a good idea to add those things without an option to disable them in the first place?

Having a temporary power tray appear is a distinct and attention-catching way to let the player know that they have acquired a power or ability that is important to the TF/SF/trial, and perhaps vital, as well as drawing attention to it if the information was otherwise lost (e.g. in the chaos of battle).  Previous iterations of the game put it in pre-existing trays which, depending on your archetype or power choices, could result in anything from noticing it late to (if all the room was taken) not seeing it at all, forcing you to go through a list of temporary powers.

(Lest us forget, these powers were things that players rarely, if ever, used and kept them as trophies.  This was a recurring issue on Lambda Trials, with people having to fish around in their stuff for acid and grenades so the raid leader could keep everyone honest.  Probably on others, too.)

The idea was that nobody would request that they be disabled because their presence was temporary, the change constituted a fraction of the time of the user's UI experience, and provided immediate information about important temporary powers.  Your dislike is noted and understandable, but do understand that the change was made with a specific purpose in mind, that being ease of understanding and use.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

Yes, I get that.  It is a great thing for people who are new to the game, or unfamiliar with the various temp powers that are given out and are needed for certain content, or who keep their trays full.  And they should be enabled by default.  But we did without them for years, and they had no business putting them in without also adding an option to disable them for those who do just fine without them.

And the temp bar actually blocks UI elements I want easy access to, which is the main reason I want it gone.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 years later

Just wondering how to turn on the temporary power tray that seems to have disappeared or accidentally disabled? This has happened to two characters not all, but I have no idea what I hit or typed to cause this to disappear. I'm talking about the temporary powers bar that shows up under the power/exp bar.

Edited by SylvanMansion

I have a related but different question - when the bar pops up is there a way to automate the activation of a power in it. The only way I know of is literally mouse click but some form of key press would be great.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

4 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I have a related but different question - when the bar pops up is there a way to automate the activation of a power in it. The only way I know of is literally mouse click but some form of key press would be great.

/powexec_server_slot 1

could be bound to a key, though you can also bind the power itself to a key.   Automatically, I don't know.

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't tested it, but an easy way to invoke the temp powers tray might be to go to Steel Canyon and help out the firefighters.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)