Superior ATO's

Tankshock

I believe you are correct that they have to be slotted to upgrade, so I suspect it is a mix of buying and using unslotters, and people who are respecing and pull out the old ones to sell because they want something else in that power.  It is pretty easy to recycle IOs now that you have dozens of enhancement slots instead of just 10. Neither of those produces a lot, which is why I think the superior ATOs turn over a lot slower than the regular ones. 

What you're describing is typically due to market shenanigans that the homecoming servers use as part of the "i25" package.  I can't speak for certain on ATOs, cause it seems like there's a few rare exceptions to the following system & Superior ATOs may be one of them.  But almost everything that's sold on the market uses the following system:

Put simply, when you list an item on the market it gets dropped into a "bucket".  This bucket is basically just a count of the # of that item up for sale, and it includes any level of that item & makes no differentiation between attuned/not attuned. 

This results in several potential shenanigans, which all revolves around the result of the previous concept: someone can list a level 10 non-attuned IO & someone else is able to buy it as whatever version of that IO that they want. IE, a lvl 10 was listed but whoever buys it can get it as a level 50, or attuned, etc. & the price is exactly the same.

The biggest result of this is that it's almost always cheaper to buy the attuned version of an IO off the market than it is to craft the IO & attune it yourself (because you basically get a 3-4M catalyst "for free").  For the IOs that cost less than a catalyst (most of them) this is potentially a significant "profit".

A side effect is that for situations like your question, normal ATOs are usually in the same bucket as their Superior counterparts, no attunement required.

As I mentioned at the start this may not be accurate for ATOs, but I haven't looked real far into the exceptions to the system so I could be talking a lot about something unrelated...

As I mentioned at the start this may not be accurate for ATOs, but I haven't looked real far into the exceptions to the system so I could be talking a lot about something unrelated...

Superior ATO and winter aren't bucketed. It's hit or miss whether the difference is more than a catalyst but I'd imagine many would already have the regular slotted prior to 50 anyway.

How do people sell these?  Don't they have to be slotted to upgrade?  Unslotters and level 50 mules?

That's exactly what I did when I tried to start selling them. I'd buy a regular version, slot it and make it superior, then pull it out and post it. Great profit margin on each sale. But they sold really, really slow, so I bailed on that after a week.

What you're describing is typically due to market shenanigans that the homecoming servers use as part of the "i25" package.  I can't speak for certain on ATOs, cause it seems like there's a few rare exceptions to the following system & Superior ATOs may be one of them.  But almost everything that's sold on the market uses the following system:

Put simply, when you list an item on the market it gets dropped into a "bucket".  This bucket is basically just a count of the # of that item up for sale, and it includes any level of that item & makes no differentiation between attuned/not attuned. 

This results in several potential shenanigans, which all revolves around the result of the previous concept: someone can list a level 10 non-attuned IO & someone else is able to buy it as whatever version of that IO that they want. IE, a lvl 10 was listed but whoever buys it can get it as a level 50, or attuned, etc. & the price is exactly the same.

The biggest result of this is that it's almost always cheaper to buy the attuned version of an IO off the market than it is to craft the IO & attune it yourself (because you basically get a 3-4M catalyst "for free").  For the IOs that cost less than a catalyst (most of them) this is potentially a significant "profit".

A side effect is that for situations like your question, normal ATOs are usually in the same bucket as their Superior counterparts, no attunement required.

For winter IOs, the normal and superior versions are bucketed. For ATOs, they are not.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

For winter IOs, the normal and superior versions are bucketed. For ATOs, they are not.

You're right, my bad. Was convinced I'd seen winter with different prices so I went and checked - turns out I probably had as the data fetching bug seems to hit them really hard :D