Game won’t run now

dollface33

After yesterday, July 23rds patch my game won’t run. First it says it’s a Trojan virus on my Norton. Then after I shut that off it says my graphics card is not good enough or up to date. Both are wrong, I run a Nvidia 1080ti and it’s up to date. No other games have issues. This only started after the last update. Please help! How can I fix this without having to uninstall and reinstall!?! 

• City Council

Hey, sorry you all are having this problem. We have a few reports of players that are no longer able to the load the client as of the recent Windows 10 update (1903).

Where do you all have City of Heroes installed? (Where is the CoH folder located on your computer?) Feel free to block out your computer username if it is shown in the path.

Thanks!

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

I mentioned yesterday that I had this problem but I fixed it.  It is an Anti Virus issue.  In Norton go to: Security/Antivirus/Scans and Risks.  Then under exclusion and low risks, select configure next to "items to exclude from auto protect, sonar, and download intelligence Detection.  A new window will pop up and at this point you want to select add folder.  Select the folder for tequila and you should be good to go.  You are basically telling Norton to ignore tequila and new updates as a threat. 

Same problem, except I'm running Win 8.1.  Just checked Windows updates to see if I could uninstall any from 7/23, and it appears all recent Windows updates have failed anyway.  And the beta works as normal.  So it's not a Windows problem, it seems to be a patch problem.

Specifically, when running Homecoming from Tequila, the Loading bar has a green border around it.  Before login screen appears, a small green square is visible in upper left corner of my screen.  After login screen has loaded, clicking on anything (password line, exit, start, etc) has no effect.  I can tab to password line, enter password and press enter, but nothing happens.

I've set the associated files/folders to trusted/whitelisted in both Comodo Firewall and Avast Antivirus, and have tried deleting Tequila from my registry.

Any suggestions or updates on the issue are appreciated.

• City Council
7 hours ago, TheAeos said:

Alright.... my launcher just crashes after about 3 seconds. Tried without AV etc. Got it installed on my second disk so D:\Downloads\tequila\tequila.exe for example.

Try deleting TequilaActivityLog.txt and tequilalog.xml from your CoH folder then re-launching Tequila. As an aside - generally running it out of Downloads is a bad idea as Windows has started locking things down when run out of the Downloads folder.

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• City Council
7 minutes ago, AceCriss said:

Same problem, except I'm running Win 8.1.  Just checked Windows updates to see if I could uninstall any from 7/23, and it appears all recent Windows updates have failed anyway.  And the beta works as normal.  So it's not a Windows problem, it seems to be a patch problem.

Specifically, when running Homecoming from Tequila, the Loading bar has a green border around it.  Before login screen appears, a small green square is visible in upper left corner of my screen.  After login screen has loaded, clicking on anything (password line, exit, start, etc) has no effect.  I can tab to password line, enter password and press enter, but nothing happens.

I've set the associated files/folders to trusted/whitelisted in both Comodo Firewall and Avast Antivirus, and have tried deleting Tequila from my registry.

Any suggestions or updates on the issue are appreciated.

We're currently investigating your issue at the moment; hopefully I'll have something to get back to you with soon. In the mean time, try the instructions posted above.

Cipher

City Council

• Retired Game Master

13 minutes ago, AceCriss said:

The green border is a feature of Comodo's containment software (which is separate from the firewall).  It shows that the program is being isolated from the rest of your computer, which causes CoH to become unresponsive to the mouse.  You'll either need to disable containment or add a containment exception for Tequila and Homecoming.

7 minutes ago, GM Capocollo said:

The green border is a feature of Comodo's containment software (which is separate from the firewall).  It shows that the program is being isolated from the rest of your computer, which causes CoH to become unresponsive to the mouse.  You'll either need to disable containment or add a containment exception for Tequila and Homecoming.

Thanks for the tip, that did the trick!  Wasn't aware of the separate containment list.  Good to know!

That's the thing with anti viruses and firewalls, people use them but don't know how they work and think they have disabled it but haven't, this seems to be a common issue with firewalls and norton or other anti virus that have several layers of defense or blocking methods.

Edited by Silk

15 hours ago, Cipher said:

Try deleting TequilaActivityLog.txt and tequilalog.xml from your CoH folder then re-launching Tequila. As an aside - generally running it out of Downloads is a bad idea as Windows has started locking things down when run out of the Downloads folder.

Yeah they do that, but mine is a seperate Downloadfolder that has nothing to do with my Windowsprofile.

The deletion of those 2 files seems to have fixed it for me though.

Thanks guys

The thing about the whitelisting (telling the AV that it's safe to run) is that you really should be making the whole folder whitelisted. Also, people really need to start following the installation guides as we keep seeing the game installed in things like the Downloads and Documents folders. These are protected anyway and while it May run for a while, it's quite possible a random update could fubar your install's permissions.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I had the same problem, running Avast and MalwareBytes, disabling the two of them works. I tried to add exception but that wasn't working.

My game and tequila are on C:

I'd like to find a best way to fix the problem because having no AV or malware protection is not safe.

2 hours ago, AgratBatMalat said:

I had the same problem, running Avast and MalwareBytes, disabling the two of them works. I tried to add exception but that wasn't working.

My game and tequila are on 😄

I'd like to find a best way to fix the problem because having no AV or malware protection is not safe.

If you whitelisted added an exception correctly it would work with the A/V turned on.  The fact they work when disabled is your proof right there.  In some programs is adding an exception in some it's add ing an exclusion and in some you have to do it in more than one place as the anti virus has real time scanning /blocking.

Ideally you just add and exception/exclusion to the whole game folder so your anti virus/firewall/real time scanning etc just completely ignores everything in that folder.

My install guide, see link in my siggy, has a link in the troubleshooting section for avast as for malwarbytes you will have to google how to do it.

EDIT: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1130

Edited by Silk