Building a Solo Controller

Mercurias

Hi guys! I'm installing the game now, and I can't wait to get in and be entirely too enthusiastic for most people in every channel available to me!

So I was wanting to make a Controller who is effective in a team setting, but primarily effective going solo from 1-50. There are some new archetypes I'm unfamiliar with that have been added, and I was wondering which fit the criteria.

To the best of my knowledge, the three best Primaries for this kind of setup are Fire, Illusion, and Mind. Likewise, to the best of my knowledge the strongest solo Secondaries are Radiation, Time, and maybe Dark?

For the record, my old main was an Illusion/Radiation Giant Monster slayer. I loved him like a son. 

I ended up deciding on Fire/Dark. I probably won't be soloing GMs with it, but honestly that was more for bragging than fun.

I have him at level 8 now, and he's a really solid little dude. I like the Sorcerous Flight/Teleport combo for him at the moment, but eventually I'll probably phase it out in favor of super speed. 

Fire/Dark is a great combo, and you probably CAN solo GMs with it when built right :p

Fire does a lot of damage but faceplants a lot early... and Dark is one of the strongest defensive secondaries starting from early levels and improving regularly. It's a great combination, possibly the strongest Controller in the game when considering soloing, soloing farms, and soloing AVs. And it also does fine with a team.

Wow did some playing with sets and other than HP and mez protection you can get Scrapper/Brute numbers for resists and defense.  Have not played a troller so this could be terrible to play but seems ok based on numbers.  Maneuvers is there for a mule for LotG more than added defense but I'm sure with enough targets for Soul Absorption it could be run to get over the AoE soft cap without issues.  Perma hasten, perma Soul Absorption, Perma Fade (including cast time), capped S/L resist.  I may have to try this.  I also have no idea about Imps vs Dark Servant so those sets could be swapped around if the servant is better.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 2.22
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Controller
Primary Power Set: Fire Control
Secondary Power Set: Darkness Affinity
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Fire Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Char -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(7), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(9)
Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- TchoftheN-Heal(A), TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(11), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(11), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(13), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(13), TchoftheN-%Dam(29)
Level 2: Fire Cages -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(39), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(39), PstBls-Dam%(39), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40)
Level 4: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(5), Rct-ResDam%(5)
Level 6: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 8: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(9)
Level 10: Howling Twilight -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Tar Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(15), UnbGrd-Max HP%(15), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(27), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(27)
Level 16: Shadow Fall -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def(17), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(17), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(25)
Level 18: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def(19), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(19), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 20: Fade -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def(21), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(21), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(23), Rct-Def/Rchg(46)
Level 22: Darkest Night -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(A), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(37), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(37), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(37)
Level 24: Flashfire -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(29), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(31), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(33)
Level 26: Bonfire -- SudAcc-KB/Acc(A), SudAcc-KB/Rchg(33), SudAcc-KB/Dam/EndRdx(33), SudAcc-KB/Dam/Rchg(34), SudAcc-KB/Acc/Dam(34), SudAcc-KBtoKD(34)
Level 28: Soul Absorption -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(36), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(36), Prv-Heal/Rchg(36), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(40), Prv-Absorb%(42)
Level 30: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 32: Fire Imps -- SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg(A), SvrRgh-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SvrRgh-Acc/EndRdx(42), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), SvrRgh-Acc(43), SvrRgh-PetResDam(43)
Level 35: Fire Ball -- Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Rgn-Dmg(48), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(50), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(50)
Level 38: Hot Feet -- Arm-Dam%(A), EndRdx-I(40), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(46), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Arm-Acc/Rchg(48)
Level 41: Fire Shield -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(45), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Dark Servant -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(45)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
------------

Edited by HelenCarnate
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, HelenCarnate said:

you can get Scrapper/Brute numbers for resists and defense. 

Brutes have higher resist caps, 75% vs. 90% IIRC.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

18 hours ago, HelenCarnate said:

Wow did some playing with sets and other than HP and mez protection you can get Scrapper/Brute numbers for resists and defense.  Have not played a troller so this could be terrible to play but seems ok based on numbers.  Maneuvers is there for a mule for LotG more than added defense but I'm sure with enough targets for Soul Absorption it could be run to get over the AoE soft cap without issues.  Perma hasten, perma Soul Absorption, Perma Fade (including cast time), capped S/L resist.  I may have to try this.  I also have no idea about Imps vs Dark Servant so those sets could be swapped around if the servant is better.

It is absurd how tough /dark can get.  You get Scrapper resists and defense and regeneration and your controls prevent damage. 

Dark Servant is a great power. It's probably the most useful power in Dark after Fade and Soul Absorption.  I six slot it.  I put in 4 Cloud senses for the 5% recharge time, making sure to slot the Negative Damage proc. Then I do the Touch of Nitctus negative energy damage proc and Trap of the Hunter lethal damgae proc. With those sets, Dark Servant puts out a nice ToHit debuff and can do some damage.

31 minutes ago, HoundsTooth said:

It is absurd how tough /dark can get.  You get Scrapper resists and defense and regeneration and your controls prevent damage. 

Dark Servant is a great power. It's probably the most useful power in Dark after Fade and Soul Absorption.  I six slot it.  I put in 4 Cloud senses for the 5% recharge time, making sure to slot the Negative Damage proc. Then I do the Touch of Nitctus negative energy damage proc and Trap of the Hunter lethal damgae proc. With those sets, Dark Servant puts out a nice ToHit debuff and can do some damage.

Ok so what about fire imps? I can 6 slot 1 or the other. Would they be better off with just accuracy or should I try to find some middle ground on both?

Imps are vicious little damage pets made out of tissue paper. I usually slot them for damage and recharge. Given the control already in Fire/Dark, I tend to value Imp damage over enhancing control further. Both pets are very good, however. 

3 hours ago, HelenCarnate said:

Ok so what about fire imps? I can 6 slot 1 or the other. Would they be better off with just accuracy or should I try to find some middle ground on both?

Do you need any set recharge set bonuses? If so, both Expedient reinforcements and Cloud Senses give +5% recharge with 4 slots. Slot Dark Servant if you need more protection or slot Imps if you need more damage.

If you're good on set bonuses, I'd split the difference. They're both great powers. Maybe try to steal some slots from another power. I think they're both worth investing 5-6 slots. If you're dead-set on one or the other, decide if you want more control or more damage.

Edited by HoundsTooth

I found an old build a friend made for me for a Fire/Dark Controller back on live (Hi Riora!). What do you all think about how it stands up to the test of time? I'm not sure on the Alpha whether I used Clarion or the one that recovers Endurance. Even IO'd out, this guy was always a thirsty boy. 

Pardon the plain text. I couldn't make Pine's export something the forums used for formatting. 

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Umbral Flame: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Fire Control
Secondary Power Set: Darkness Affinity
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Concealment
Ancillary Pool: Fire Mastery

Hero Profile:
------------
Level 1:    Char    
 (A) Superior Will of the Controller - Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Recharge
 (3) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized
 (3) Superior Will of the Controller - Endurance/Recharge
 (5) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Endurance
 (5) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Endurance/Recharge
 (7) Superior Will of the Controller - Recharge/Chance for Psionic Damage

Level 1:    Twilight Grasp    
 (A) Touch of the Nictus - Healing
 (34) Touch of the Nictus - Heal/HitPoints/Regeneration/Recharge
 (34) Touch of the Nictus - Accuracy/Healing
 (36) Touch of the Nictus - Accuracy/Endurance/Heal/HitPoints/Regeneration
 (36) Touch of the Nictus - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge

Level 2:    Fire Cages    
 (A) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage
 (33) Positron's Blast - Damage/Endurance
 (33) Positron's Blast - Damage/Recharge
 (33) Positron's Blast - Damage/Range
 (34) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
 (46) Gravitational Anchor - Chance for Hold

Level 4:    Tar Patch    
 (A) Recharge Reduction IO
 (31) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 6:    Super Speed    
 (A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points)

Level 8:    Hot Feet    
 (A) Obliteration - Chance for Smashing Damage
 (11) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
 (13) Obliteration - Damage
 (13) Obliteration - Accuracy/Recharge
 (15) Obliteration - Damage/Recharge
 (27) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

Level 10:    Howling Twilight    
 (31) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 12:    Flashfire    
 (A) Absolute Amazement - Stun
 (27) Absolute Amazement - Stun/Recharge
 (29) Absolute Amazement - Accuracy/Stun/Recharge
 (29) Absolute Amazement - Accuracy/Recharge
 (31) Absolute Amazement - Endurance/Stun

Level 14:    Hasten    
 (15) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 16:    Shadow Fall    
 (A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed
 (17) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
 (17) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
 (23) Titanium Coating - Resistance
 (25) Titanium Coating - Resistance/Endurance
 (25) Titanium Coating - Resistance/Endurance/Recharge

Level 18:    Cinders    
 (A) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Hold
 (19) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Recharge
 (19) Basilisk's Gaze - Endurance/Recharge/Hold
 (23) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge/Hold

Level 20:    Fade    
 (21) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
 (21) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Recharge
 (42) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 22:    Combat Jumping    
 (36) Kismet - Accuracy +6%

Level 24:    Boxing    
 (A) Damage Increase IO

Level 26:    Tough    
 (A) Titanium Coating - Resistance
 (37) Titanium Coating - Resistance/Endurance
 (39) Titanium Coating - Resistance/Endurance/Recharge

Level 28:    Soul Absorption    
 (A) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Recharge
 (39) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Accuracy/Recharge
 (39) Performance Shifter - EndMod/Recharge

Level 30:    Weave    
 (37) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
 (37) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 32:    Fire Imps    
 (A) Sovereign Right - Resistance Bonus
 (40) Sovereign Right - Accuracy
 (40) Sovereign Right - Accuracy/Damage
 (40) Sovereign Right - Damage/Endurance
 (50) Sovereign Right - Accuracy/Endurance
 (50) Sovereign Right - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

Level 35:    Fire Ball    
 (A) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy)
 (42) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage
 (43) Positron's Blast - Damage/Endurance
 (43) Positron's Blast - Damage/Recharge
 (43) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

Level 38:    Dark Servant    
 (A) Cloud Senses - ToHit Debuff
 (42) Cloud Senses - ToHit Debuff/Endurance/Recharge
 (48) Cloud Senses - Accuracy/ToHitDebuff
 (50) Cloud Senses - Accuracy/Recharge

Level 41:    Fire Blast    
 (A) Devastation - Accuracy/Damage
 (46) Devastation - Damage/Endurance
 (46) Devastation - Damage/Recharge
 (48) Devastation - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (48) Devastation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 44:    Fire Shield    
 (A) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
 (45) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
 (45) Impervium Armor - Resistance
 (45) Impervium Armor - Resistance/Endurance

Level 47:    Rise of the Phoenix    
 (A) Damage Increase IO

Level 49:    Grant Invisibility    

Level 1:    Brawl    
 (A) Damage Increase IO

Level 1:    Containment    
Level 1:    Prestige Power Dash    
 (A) Run Speed IO

Level 1:    Prestige Power Slide    
 (A) Run Speed IO

Level 1:    Prestige Power Quick    
 (A) Run Speed IO

Level 1:    Prestige Power Rush    
 (A) Run Speed IO

Level 1:    Prestige Power Surge    
 (A) Run Speed IO

Level 1:    Sprint    
 (A) Run Speed IO

Level 2:    Rest    

Level 4:    Ninja Run    
Level 2:    Swift    
 (A) Run Speed IO

Level 2:    Health    
 (A) Miracle - +Recovery
 (11) Numina's Convalesence - +Regeneration/+Recovery

Level 2:    Hurdle    
 (A) Jumping IO

Level 2:    Stamina    
 (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End
 (7) Performance Shifter - EndMod
 (9) Performance Shifter - EndMod/Recharge
 (9) Performance Shifter - EndMod/Accuracy

Level 50:    Agility Core Paragon    
Level 50:    Pyronic Radial Final Judgement    
Level 50:    Reactive Core Flawless Interface    
Level 50:    Phantom Core Superior Ally    
Level 50:    Clarion Partial Core Invocation    
Level 50:    Assault Radial Embodiment    
------------

Edited by Mercurias

7 hours ago, Mercurias said:

I found an old build a friend made for me for a Fire/Dark Controller back on live (Hi Riora!). What do you all think about how it stands up to the test of time? I'm not sure on the Alpha whether I used Clarion or the one that recovers Endurance. Even IO'd out, this guy was always a thirsty boy. 

Clarion is nice. Perma mez protection is hard to beat. 

I'm surprised you have end problems. WIth perma soul absorption I don't worry about end. It's even better with Agility as my alpha slot.  My endurance to vanishes if I let soul absorption lapse, though.

Edited by HoundsTooth