recreating old heroes versus new.

Schreg

I saved all of my characters in a special way. (It's sort of like having a picture album) Here is Healix, my very first toon created in April, 2004. This is how all my other characters are set up. If I were to recreate them here, I can use their bio-pic as costume reference even if I change the AT.

D4oLB9L.jpg

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

A little bit of all options, if we're honest

At least one character has made a comeback, with her original powersets, but INV/EM tank was a frustrating powerset to level to 50 the first time round, so she may only crop- up in RP sessions.

A couple of characters I never really got to play much due to their powersets being released too close to the shutdown have come back (Rad/Time corr, SJ/WP brute) as they were.

Then there's the "changed name" characters.

My peacebringer has had to be slightly renamed due to name clash (not that it bothers me personally.) She's essentially staying the same with the variation in name,

My main EN/EM blaster started off as a simple rename due to (again) name clash. Then I decided that I wanted to use EN/MA as that more closely fit her original concept from waaay before Martial arts in blast was a thing. As I played, I realised she no longer fit her new adopted name, so I rechristened her, and created a new EN/EM blaster with that name (and same power vfx)

I then got bored, my altitis happened, and I creates a BS/Shield scrapper using the same power vfx, vanguard weapons, and a similar outfit, named her in the same theme, and so, out of me wanting to have my cake and eat it, I ended up with Project BRIGHT, a multi-phase project to create Expert-System Assisted Quantum Waveform-Engine Battlegear (Phase 1: Ranged Combat (EN/EM). Phase 2: Frontline Melee (BS/SD). Phase 3: AI Type Human-mimic Combat/Infiltration Frame (EN/MA)

That whole business has taken a life of its own now, due to my insatiable need to create stories.

There was no debate for Sister Flame: she was going to make and play her old character... and is.

I did the "both" approach. I remade two of my old mains right away and then made a few new ones: Doctor Detroit as a healing support and John Wyck....

My youngest daughter, who was 9 when the servers shut off, made a brand new character. Her old character was Fencebolt, an electric/electric blaster that she enjoyed. She goes where angels fear to tread and plunged into a brand new character who is a dark/dark dominator. She is rocking it hard and amazes me by how quick she mastered her new powers.

That whole business has taken a life of its own now, due to my insatiable need to create stories.

It didn't take Homecoming for me; I'd created a Bots/Dark MM, with a backstory (that has grown to six pages, held up for my not being able to write a reasonable fight scene) of being a Soviet project to create a robotic combat director accidentally given sentience that, instead of just carrying out the orders it was given, replaced them with its own tactics, critiquing the generals who'd issued them. Labeled a failed project, he and his bots were crated up and stuck in a dusty warehouse until accidentally awakened. After taking him blueside, I realized that I still enjoyed playing the sets redside, so I created another from the same Soviet research program, intended to correct the 'flaws' in the original design, but which through a mislabeled backup had portions of the original's programming loaded (the project completely canceled and the techs involved sent to Siberia), creating a more ruthless version of the original. Still later, I made a third character from the same project, the infiltration unit that was to have been part of the 'BRIGADYR' program.

(edited to address the problem that the forum, unlike the game itself, does not support Unicode)

Speaking of all this, on live a LOT of people wrote great bios for their characters. I loved checking for them and was seldom disappointed. Some were so creative it left me in awe. For some reason very few folks here make a backstory for their heroes/villains. Did anyone else ever click on other's toons to see if there was a bio?

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

Speaking of all this, on live a LOT of people wrote great bios for their characters. I loved checking for them and was seldom disappointed. Some were so creative it left me in awe. For some reason very few folks here make a backstory for their heroes/villains. Did anyone else ever click on other's toons to see if there was a bio?

My reason is that I'm not completely confident about the permanence of this server/host. Why invest time in something that might disappear?

You know, I never thought of just writing it out in Notepad and saving it somewhere... oops. But, I expect most people don't for that reason.

I'm out.

I intentionally kept records of my old Alts for this reason. Many were on the Beta/Test server at Sunset so I have plenty that are still new concepts. Either way, I'd say both TBH.

I kept a spreadsheet of all of my characters w/ their bios.  I used their levels to sort and sorted the lowest levels to the top so I could show them some love :)

So I have a record of all of my characters, their levels and their bios.  Some I'll recreate, some I'll base new characters on and some will be totally new.

I also tried to capture a screen shot of all of them hitting 50.  Got most of them, maybe I'll attach each character's pic to the spreadsheet.

For those few toons that I bothered to write bios for, I remember them, so can restore them rather easily.  Oddly enough, I was finding running Stone Armor stodgy and have since remembered that I like being able to move in a fight from the intervening years on WoW (Druid, Monk, Demon Hunter, and Death Knight being my favorite characters).  So I took my main that I had been running Stone Armor/Electrical Melee and rebuilt him as a Shield/Stone Melee Tanker, emailing everything out to be taken by the new build.  I then took the bio and laid it as this new character being the old one's nephew who had recently gained similar powers recently and remembered his uncle who disappeared like a snap with all the other heroes and villains seven years ago, so he's taking up the mantle in honor of his uncle.  Some of the costume design is different, but I kept a couple things that I felt were iconic to the original.

Have to say, I like having done that change.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

I have some core favorites I am rebuilding (and happy I could get the names) knowing myself I will also be rolling up new peoples with new ideas - It is fun to try out new character ideas.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I remade a few of my old mains with the same name - but changed on a few to powersets that were not available at the time I made them.

Sadly I have a lot screenshots of my old heroes and some of them I cant even remember their names or even what powers they had.

I had so many 50's and over 40 toons I forgot how slow it is to start over on a new toon.

But I want to get one 50 so I can use it to finance my other toons as I make more.

My reason is that I'm not completely confident about the permanence of this server/host. Why invest time in something that might disappear?

You know, I never thought of just writing it out in Notepad and saving it somewhere... oops. But, I expect most people don't for that reason.

Nothing will be lost. If the homecoming project fails (for some reason), the bio that you write won't be in vain. You can use it again on a new server/project. I have my outfits saved on my hard-drive and my bio saved on a .txt file for whenever I'll be forced to move somewhere else, which I don't believe will happen that soon btw

Interestingly, all of my characters had a backstory, and some of them were quite intricate, but almost none of them were really reflected in the in-game bio. As a roleplayer, the view of me (and a number of others) was that, just like your character name, ui-world, wasn't floating above your head, so your bio and history were not available to just any rando that happened by (how would anyone know?)  There was some leeway, of course, and always room for pithy quotes and snippits of hilarity, but full bios were for wiki pages, and forum fiction.

When the server started up I thought I'd do one thing but I totally did another. I thought I would mostly recreate old characters but actually I'm mostly playing with new ones.

At least one of my core old favorite characters was revised with the new sets. I had a dark/dark defender who in my mind was always supposed to be a dark/dark controller. That worked well, but one of my other signature characters I who I also wanted to tweak to /time just didn't feel right. Seems like a good character so I'm keeping him as a "clone" and will eventually reroll the character as his original self.  I'm actually kind of saving that character for now while I get acquainted with the new powersets.

I actually struggled to remember some of my old characters' names including some favorites, but as I have played some of that came back to me. I recovered my Titan account and logged into City Info Tracker and the data was completely borked, only 10 characters saved, not final data when several of them were 50 it had them at 30; and 3 of them had other characters' bios. Ironically, that helpful because it was enough to remember them by so that was 13 characters I then remembered.

I'm currently playing a character who has an old character's name but a completely new concept and he's a blast.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

When the server started up I thought I'd do one thing but I totally did another. I thought I would mostly recreate old characters but actually I'm mostly playing with new ones.

At least one of my core old favorite characters was revised with the new sets. I had a dark/dark defender who in my mind was always supposed to be a dark/dark controller. That worked well, but one of my other signature characters I who I also wanted to tweak to /time just didn't feel right. Seems like a good character so I'm keeping him as a "clone" and will eventually reroll the character as his original self.  I'm actually kind of saving that character for now while I get acquainted with the new powersets.

I actually struggled to remember some of my old characters' names including some favorites, but as I have played some of that came back to me. I recovered my Titan account and logged into City Info Tracker and the data was completely borked, only 10 characters saved, not final data when several of them were 50 it had them at 30; and 3 of them had other characters' bios. Ironically, that helpful because it was enough to remember them by so that was 13 characters I then remembered.

I'm currently playing a character who has an old character's name but a completely new concept and he's a blast.

Totally this, I rolled my old chars but found out they were just sitting there at lvl 2 and I didn't feel like playing them so I decided that some of them would be re-rolled with new powersets or even as different AT's and some others, well, those are gone for good, they were fun to play but I already played them a lot so I prefer to explore new things. Also, there's the fact that most of my old and beloved chars were melee and for some reason, I am now enjoying ranged chars more than melee chars.

Interestingly, all of my characters had a backstory, and some of them were quite intricate, but almost none of them were really reflected in the in-game bio. As a roleplayer, the view of me (and a number of others) was that, just like your character name, ui-world, wasn't floating above your head, so your bio and history were not available to just any rando that happened by (how would anyone know?)  There was some leeway, of course, and always room for pithy quotes and snippits of hilarity, but full bios were for wiki pages, and forum fiction.

Don't you have a phone?  I kid.  I kid.

But only partially.  It is not hard to view the ID page as a page brought up by the in-universe hero/villain equivalent to Google Glasses.  It presents all the data your character is going to give up to a random passer-by.  If they want more, then you can wiki it up outside the client.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

All of my characters were tied to ongoing RP on the Union server, so there's little point in trying to remake them.

I did create one who, in this "timeline," is the illegitimate daughter of my old main, who was a straight-up Batman expy.

www.paulanthonyshortt.com

Mostly new.

Had 30+ 50's at the end.

Tried to remake a couple and just thougt 'Eh, I already played that one'.

Might reuse a couple names, but I think my preferences have evolved in a number of ways.

Percy Verance, WP/SS Tank will live on, I mean, he does 'never stop trying' after all.

Minimus Prime, homage to my Mini I was just finishinhg up when the servers went dark.

Loving the fact the game still feels fresh enough I can continue making new chracters though!