Cross punch damage?

eknudson

How much damage does Cross Punch do? The description in Pine's hero designer says "moderate" but doesn't give any numbers.  It also says "if you have also trained Boxing, this power's damage is increased by 15% and will increase your recharge and accuracy briefly".

My DM/SR has boxing but I never use it. I'm thinking about dropping Shadow Maul for Cross Punch. Pretty sure it does less damage and uses more end but the slightly larger cone and half the cast time might be worth it anyway. But I'm curious what the damage actually is if anybody knows and what it means to have "trained boxing".

"Trained Boxing" just means you already have Boxing from the pool. Having it increases the damage, and so does having Kick. To find out what the damage actually does, honestly I'd recommend making a character with your given class quickly on the Test server and trying it out. Nothing in the in-game info says the actual damage because of its special synergy so it's hard to tell. It probably isn't worthwhile on a Scrapper that already has good attacks, but who knows.

Edit: In terms of "vs Shadow Maul", I highly doubt Cross Punch can crit, so you might want to check that as well...

Edited by Microcosm

• 2 weeks later
On 8/2/2019 at 4:08 AM, Chance Jackson said:

notee cross punch does more than just do dmg it also provides a short recharge boost of about 10% apparently that is per target hit.

It also adds +to hit per enemy hit... has a very high chance of proccing +recharge from force feedback.   Crosspunch is way underrated imo

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2019 at 6:12 PM, Microcosm said:

Edit: In terms of "vs Shadow Maul", I highly doubt Cross Punch can crit, so you might want to check that as well...

I even don't know if Shadow Maul can crit for scrappers, because I loathe Shadow Maul and never take it. I also haven't paid attention to whether Cross Punch can crit for scrappers. It does for my stalkers, though.

Scrap

• 1 month later
On 8/16/2019 at 4:21 PM, Scrapulous said:

I even don't know if Shadow Maul can crit for scrappers, because I loathe Shadow Maul and never take it. I also haven't paid attention to whether Cross Punch can crit for scrappers. It does for my stalkers, though.

Scrap

Shadow Maul crits I can tell you from the old days I got good at lining up enemies for multiple hits when solo. Yes i skip it now days

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

I took both Shadow Maul and Cross Punch (along with boxing and kick) on my DM/SD Scrapper. I've found both to be essential for AoE purposes (I've also taken Spring Attack and obviously Shield Charge as well). While Shadow Maul can be a PITA to line up and the animation time is rather alarming; when paired with AAO and Soul Drain, it'll typically hit 3 non-DA mobs for over 400 damage each. That's usually 1200 total damage over 3 mobs in under 3 seconds (and that's assuming no crits). It'll also absolutely wreck Rikti mobs if you find yourself in the RWZ with any regularity. 

And as mentioned by a poster above previously, the FF Proc in Cross Punch is borderline Footstomp levels of good. Just logging in now to test Cross punch on even level 50 mobs in AE ComicCon S/L Farm.

CP hits for 168 damage (non-crit) 5 slotted Hetacomb (no proc) SINGLE Target

Shadow Maul hit for 240 w/5 slooted Hetacomb (no proc, no crit) Single Target 

Edit: CP is 5 slotted with Armegeddon

Edited by ThrillMill

• 2 weeks later

Thanks to everybody here!  I decided to eventually respec to have both shadow maul and cross punch (and in another level, Fire Ball).

What I've found matches the above, plus one thing.  I just did a couple tests on some opponents with no difference in smashing vs. negative resistance. Cross Punch does basically 68% of Shadow Maul damage-- with a much shorter activation time, and slightly higher endurance cost.  The 50 degree arc on cross punch does make a difference--noticeable but not huge. It doesn't debuff ToHit, but does have a nice chance for knockdown.

Cross Punch CAN crit for a scrapper.

You hit Gunslinger with your Cross Punch for 129.5 points of Smashing damage.
You knocked Gunslinger from their feet!
You hit Operation Officer with your Cross Punch for 129.5 points of Smashing damage.
You hit Operation Officer with your Cross Punch for 77.49 points of Smashing damage CRITICAL

Cross Punch is a good power, with some quirks and caveats.

The caveats:

1.  It's ONLY a good power if you take both Kick and Boxing, neither of which is good even with the synergy benefits they gain.

2.  It's a pool power, so a bit more END-intensive than if not.

3.  If cued up and chasing a runner, it won't fire as soon as other powers will, even other cones - you can usually get beside or even past them before it'll properly detect and trigger.

4.  It's a melee cone, and as a pool power cannot take ATOs, so your choices are limited on slotting; further, as a power with innate KD, using a Winter set risks double-proc firing enemies away from you.  This can be good or bad, depending on playstyle and Knock tolerance.  My assumption is most folks who are going high-end stuff will slot in either the purple or PvP set; the latter for the -Res proc.

Now, the quirks:

1.  You need to take Boxing and Kick both....but it doesn't care WHEN they're taken in relation to Cross Punch, or even if they're available to you at the time of use.  One of course has to be taken early to unlock the higher tiers of the Fighting pool, but the other can be taken at 49 without worry via respec or if you don't mind Cross Punch being weaker on the way up. 

2.  The +toHit and +Recharge are +5%/+10% per target hit per synergy power owned - if you can smack 5 targets at once, that's 6 seconds of +50% Tohit and +100% Recharge, or 25%/50% if you only have one prereq.  This is not slottable for, nor can To Hit sets be used.  It also does not show up in your under-life-bar buff display, but you can observe it if you monitor recharge and ToHit.  I'm unsure if it's stackable or not, but given the very short duration of the buff, I doubt it would matter even if it was.

3.  You CAN slot stun sets as well as Knock sets, though the procs are fairly weak by comparison; this does give the option of double-stacking Knock procs for an inconsistent melee catapult 😛

4.  The damage buff is not a 'damage buff' per se - it is an increase in the BASE damage of the power, which is one of the reasons it doesn't show up properly ingame or in-Mids.  This means damage enhancements boost it, which is why this power easily competes with most T3 melee powers, and beats some higher-tier ones such as the aforementioned Dragon's Tail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1