Focused Feedback: 64-Bit Client

On 8/12/2019 at 10:19 AM, Number Six said:

Thanks, this is a known issue that I'm looking into. It is very likely PhysX related.

There are a couple of PhsyX changes in this build that apparently got missed when the patch notes were being prepared. The amount of debris that is allowed to exist was increased for the Medium, High, and Very High settings. Also:

• When particle physics quality is set to "High" or above, mutual collision is enabled between all PhysX objects. This means that junk from Propel will stack up instead of passing through other debris, bullet casings, trash, and leaves will bounce off of and can even come to rest on it, etc. These objects also affect each other, so pushing leaves around causes other nearby objects to move (depending on their mass). It's really fun to roll a gravity controller and push the junk around to see how it all interacts now.
  • When physics quality is set to "Very High", the simulation step resolution is increased by 50%, and the step rate is allowed to scale up to 120fps rather than being capped at 60fps.

While this all seems to work fine most of the time (provided you have a spare CPU core with enough horsepower), there have been scattered occurrences of extreme frame rate drops for no apparent reason. Leaves seem to be a common cause of this, I've also experienced it with rocks left over from earth assault powers. It doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes, and when it does it completely murders your framerate.

My current thinking is that we may need to scale back the increased debris limit some, or implement some form of dynamic scaling that removes objects if the scene can't be processed fast enough. I'm also probably going to disable certain collisions between small objects (for example leaf-leaf collisions or bullet casings colliding with each other), while still allowing them to interact with larger objects, though that will require some fx data changes to properly categories the items.

In the meantime, the easiest way to get out of it if you run into this on beta is to set your physics quality to "Medium". The problem shouldn't occur at that level, and changing the setting instantly clears out all debris from the scene.

Aha!  Good to know that I wasn't going nuts haha.  I actually love the PhsyX changes so I'm for implementing the dynamic scaling you mentioned.  The scaling sounds like a lot of work though and I wager you guys have enough on your plate as is...maybe you can scale back the debris by 50-75% or whatever you feel would show case the new changes without gutting the true wow factor.  Thank you letting me know how to temporarily resolve the issue :D.

This issue probably is a minor but as I was running uphill in Atlas I noticed Vehicles were temporarily floating as the starting their descent downhill.  It was almost if they were driving half a foot above the ground right at the beginning of the descent.

• City Council
14 minutes ago, Williwaw said:

Feedback: I can't get it to run at all on a Mac (not even in 32-bit mode), so I hope this isn't going live any time soon. :/

Are you using the Island Rum beta? 

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

Yes.  The main difference is when I use the old Island Rum, it just silently fails (green checkmark comes up when I hit the Play button, but nothing opens); while when I use the new Island Rum Beta, it coughs up a hairball full of error messages (which I've put in the topic you linked to) and then crashes before I can even hit the Play button.  I've got Homebrew and Xcode and up-to-date command line tools and all that, but they're not helping.

... huh, I thought I put the error messages in that topic, but I didn't.  I get "Wine not detected" when it opens, then when I hit Install (to install Wine, I presume?), it beachballs for ten or fifteen minutes, and then says "Installation failed", and when I messed with the settings and almost got it downloading something, I soon got "Unauthorized Access Exception!" and then it crashed. 

Edited by Williwaw
Error messages

Sorry for the dumb question, but I am a formerly tech-savvy, now increasingly tech-dumb person so: 

What does the 64 bit client mean for the layman? Will the change from 32 bit have noticeable effects for me? Will it impact performance and/or cause any more/less stress on my hardware (which is a little out of date, tbh)?

It means Mac users will be able to play the game after the Catalina upgrade. The changes that are noticeable were made in order to support the 64-bit version but apply to both 32-bit and 64-bit, like controller support, new physics parameters and so on. If you want to continue running the 32-bit version due to aging hardware you should have no issues doing that, and it is staying for backwards compatilibility down to Windows XP.

On 8/18/2019 at 2:00 AM, Manga said:

If your homebrew install fails, just go to http://brew.sh and follow those instructions, and then "brew install wine" after.  If anything fails, try using "xcode-select install" and trying again.

When I do that, it tells me "make: /Applications/Xcode: Permission denied", and then it fails at the end.  (I've checked; I have permissions on the Xcode folder set to allow Read/Write permission to Everyone, as well as Admin and Me, so I have no idea why it's having permissions issues)

I installed the latest Catalina beta last night on my Mac Mini (Late 2012). I just opened the usual Island Rum app and the first thing I saw was a black and white window superimposed with the list of everything in my Applications folder. I clicked the "X" at the bottom and it closed. Then I got a message saying I needed to run "Brew update wine" in Terminal so I did that. I had to give write permission to a folder but the error message told me how to do that and then the brew update ran fine.

Then I loaded the 64-bit client (not the beta, the "real" client) and it loaded! I logged in and accessed my characters no problem. 

I ran /showfps 1 and was getting about 30fps at 1920x1080, which is not bad for this ancient machine with 1.5G video RAM.

The fan ran like crazy though, so heat may be an issue in longer sessions.

So, in my brief initial test, I'd say 64-bit CoH is good! Well done!

• Leandro unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later

Hello,

The 64bit broke the use of the D-pad on gamepads.

The game recognized my gamepad (Razer Raiju for ps4 and pc) but the D-pad doesnt work properly anymore, i can only use up/down or left/right.

It only works properly on the safe mode option thru the tequila launcher.

Pls fix this asap, cause this is very annoying.

Thank you !

• Booper locked this topic