IO Sets for both post and pre lvl 50 play?

HellsFury

Hi All, thanks for sharing all the great builds.

I am wondering what most people do for IO sets when:

1.)  They want to play their way to 50 (I'm lvl 25 at the moment with my Fire/Fire blaster)

2.)  When they are lvl 50 and they don't want to restrict themselves from playing lower level content

I am all about building the Ultimate toon, but of course there are always trade offs.  I was thinking of buying Attuned enhancements so that they work over a wide range of levels, but I realize that is making it so I am not as good as I could be when playing at level 50, so I suppose that I am wondering if I will be shorting myself too much by buying attuned.

I suppose what I is motivating me to ask for advice is that I want to start buying stuff now and use them as I play my way up to 50.  I read all the IO set bonus rules a few weeks ago, but they are already slipping my memory.  I will try to read those again, but I want to hear people's experience of whether buying Attuned is good or if I should just go with commons for now and then go with lvl 50s IOs when level 50 - and consequently not worry about not having functional enhancements if I then play lower level content.

Sorry for my question being a bit "rambly", but that is where my mind is right now :)

5 hours ago, ed_anger said:

you can buy purple sets, which are always good, or you attune regular sets so they are effective at power levels. 

I need to refresh my memory, but I seem to recall the set bonus for the purples always work even at lower levels but the enhancements themselves don’t.  Possibly just the set bonus are beneficial enough just to get them.

7 hours ago, HellsFury said:

Hi All, thanks for sharing all the great builds.

I am wondering what most people do for IO sets when:

1.)  They want to play their way to 50 (I'm lvl 25 at the moment with my Fire/Fire blaster)

2.)  When they are lvl 50 and they don't want to restrict themselves from playing lower level content

I am all about building the Ultimate toon, but of course there are always trade offs.  I was thinking of buying Attuned enhancements so that they work over a wide range of levels, but I realize that is making it so I am not as good as I could be when playing at level 50, so I suppose that I am wondering if I will be shorting myself too much by buying attuned.

I suppose what I is motivating me to ask for advice is that I want to start buying stuff now and use them as I play my way up to 50.  I read all the IO set bonus rules a few weeks ago, but they are already slipping my memory.  I will try to read those again, but I want to hear people's experience of whether buying Attuned is good or if I should just go with commons for now and then go with lvl 50s IOs when level 50 - and consequently not worry about not having functional enhancements if I then play lower level content.

Sorry for my question being a bit "rambly", but that is where my mind is right now :)

ok let's tackle this : 

mostly depends if you have the money to afford stuff or not, usually by level 25 is when you start to dump stuff on AT sets, Luck of the gamble recharge on your stuff (i remake them at 50 to +5 them but since you dont really want to gimp yourself on lower level content you may want to skip the +5 part and just attune shit up), then i build the sets that are lower level then 50 and will get attuned too (kinetic combat / rectified recticle / call to arms and so on) and make the procs that wont change level wise like panacea-miracle-preventive medicine-performance shifter.

only things that i usually change between xp and final build is usually the temporary IO's non set and the Lotg recharge that i like to have +5 instead of attuned on level 50 and im forced to re-do

16 minutes ago, HellsFury said:

I need to refresh my memory, but I seem to recall the set bonus for the purples always work even at lower levels but the enhancements themselves don’t.  Possibly just the set bonus are beneficial enough just to get them.

All enhancement always provide their primary benefits even when exemplared down, although if you go below level 32 they start to scale down. Let's say you have a level 50 Damage SO slotted in one of you powers. At levels 32-50 you will get the full 33.3% boost from it. At level 20 the boost will be roughly half its normal value, so around 16.6%. And at level 5 your enhancement will provide merely 10% of its initial value.

Now those are not the exact numbers, as the scaling is not linear, but if I recall correctly, on average you lose around 3.5% of enhancement's effectiveness per level below 32.

"First in, Last out"

Motto of Scrappers.

You mix and match.  On Homecoming an Attuned set enhancement will “match” a non attuned one.  So you use Attuned while leveling and then when you hit 50 you buy Enhancement Unslotters and Boosters and Catalysts and start mix and matching.  Example:  on LotG sets you want to keep the +Recharge so you leave that one Attuned but any others with +Def you’ll unslot the Attuned version, sell back to store and buy the non-Attuned and then slot and boost it to +5.  But honestly, for me, I exemplar down very little at 50 since I’m spending another 20-25 levels post 50 working on Incarnate powers.  

I generally buy a mix of level 25 generics and attuned sets while leveling with inexpensive frankenslotting as placeholders for purples or in powers I'm planning to respec out at 50. 

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I attune all my sets because I exemp a lot.  I buy them as soon as I can slot them.  Procs and such, I buy at the minimum level because it doesn't matter, and the recipe and salvage is sometimes cheaper than the crafted IO.  Anything that's not part of a set, I boost.  I buy attuned lower-tier sets to put in powers that will eventually have purples, then either unslot them or respec them out at 50 and put them in base storage, so either my SG-mates can use them or they'll be available for another alt.

Thanks for all the helpful answers guys and gals.  

I do have the funding source, I started a spines/fire brute upon returning to the game and I am shocked at how fast such a tune and pile up influence.  I am not sure of the total I have earned, but over a billion for sure (pretty sure I could do a billion a week).  Problem is that my son and I have made something like 25 toons in the last month :).

I just figured out last night before going to bed that you have have multiple builds on a toon and you can switch between them.  I hadn't ever noticed this option because it is less that obvious to people like me....  When visiting a trainer there is an option that saying something like "rename your build" (I am at work so I can't check the exact wording), but if you choose that you get to another screen where you can switch to a 2nd build and essentially respec your toon, but also keep your original build.  

So, I believe I likely will have a build that I play lower level content on using mostly Attuned enhancements, and a build that I play higher level content on (I believe I read that you get access to a 3rd build at level 50 as well).

One thing I don't yet know is if you are required to buy/build a whole new set of enhancements for the 2nd build, but my assumption is yes you do (which is fine).  Does anyone know if you play multiple lvl 50 builds on one toon if you have to build all the boosters for the incarnates slots for each build or whether you can share them between builds?  Again, I am assuming you have to build all the boosters for each toon build which would be tough in my opinion.

Again, thank you all so much for all the advice - everyone had useful things to say, much appreciated.

Yes you do need to buy a new set of enhancements for the second build. 

The third one as well if you really wanted to be pimped out for the next Posi 1.

Now how you get the third one I don't recall. Suspect it has something to do with becoming an Incarnate though. 

Edited by Sakai

I normally farm up a bunch of money, figure out a build I want at endgame and what IOs I'll need. Then I email a few hundred million to myself and while I'm leveling I buy the attuned sets that I will use eventually and slot them as I acquire the slots. For purple sets I normally just replace them with a common set until I hit 50 and can slot the purples. Then at the level 50 respec I mail those common IO sets and use them on the next character I level up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HelenCarnate said:

I normally farm up a bunch of money, figure out a build I want at endgame and what IOs I'll need. Then I email a few hundred million to myself and while I'm leveling I buy the attuned sets that I will use eventually and slot them as I acquire the slots. For purple sets I normally just replace them with a common set until I hit 50 and can slot the purples. Then at the level 50 respec I mail those common IO sets and use them on the next character I level up.

Yes, thank you.  I started to do this very thing earlier tonight.  I’m excited.  Can’t wait to have the destructive power of my original HellsFury from 2004 when I was allowed to fill all 6 slots with damage for all attacks and slot accuracies into my targeting drone.  She was fire/devices.  Mine today, HellsFury X, is fire/fire.  Can’t wait to play her with my son and show him how fun it is. 🙂

On 8/13/2019 at 2:27 AM, Constantine said:

All enhancement always provide their primary benefits even when exemplared down, although if you go below level 32 they start to scale down. Let's say you have a level 50 Damage SO slotted in one of you powers. At levels 32-50 you will get the full 33.3% boost from it. At level 20 the boost will be roughly half its normal value, so around 16.6%. And at level 5 your enhancement will provide merely 10% of its initial value.

Now those are not the exact numbers, as the scaling is not linear, but if I recall correctly, on average you lose around 3.5% of enhancement's effectiveness per level below 32.

Sorry, I missed this response and I see it as a very important one..... and this was something I was actually wondering about because I was thinking to myself that back in the day that I only had lvl 50 SOs slotted, I didn't think when I exemped down to say lvl 35 that I lost all my enhancement benefits.

Let me try and summarize what everyone has informed me of regarding a.) IO set bonuses and, b.) the enhancement values themselves:

1.) Set bonuses for IO sets are kept

a.) When exemping as long as you don't exemp more than 3 lvls below the lvl of enhancement.

- Attuned enhancements will adjust down to your lvl within the confines of the lvl range of an enchancement. 

-So, if you are exemping to lvl 25 but the lvl range of the set is 30-50 then that set bonus won't be active.

b.) Purple sets always keep their set bonuses

-Ed_Anger said in this thread that Purple Enhancements are always good, but I could only find the info on the set bonuses being good and I was figuring that the enhancements themselves            wouldn't work, but what Constantine said in my quote above clarified this.  The reason why I couldn't find this specifically about purple enhancements (not set bonues, bu the enhancements themselves) was that this is true of all enhancements which of course makes great sense!

So the value of Attuning is:

1.) If you buy them early they will lvl up with you as you go which saves you from constantly replacing enhancements as you do with DO's and SO's and such.

2.) Once you are lvl 50 they will help you keep you set bonuses when exemping

But the down side of Attuning is:

1.) Once you are lvl 50 you may as well have purple sets because

-they have great set bonuses

-you can boost them for even greater benefit

-you don't lose set bonuses when exemping

-you don't lose the benefit of the enhancements themselves while exemping.

Does anyone have information on the following?  I had read somewhere that boosting an enhancement also does something good to the set bonuses, but that was all that was said.