Sonic or FF + Water?

Rhaethe

I find myself wanting to make a Defender with Water secondary.  I'm still nailing down concept, but I've narrowed it down to a Sonic or FF Primary.  I stared at Poison for a bit, but just couldn't grab onto it.

For using with Water, would you choose FF or Sonic for the best synergy?

Ty!

A Sonic Def will offer a benefit that's far less likely to be redundant on a team.  By that I mean that if you join a quad with a Time user and say, a VEAT, they may well have all the +Def covered, especially since we now live in a world where most players build to have high defense with no outside buffs.

On the other hand res is rarely redundant.  Certainly the -res is never redundant.  I had both FF and Sonic defs on live, just FYI.  With Cardiac T4, the Sonic provided about 60% resists to the team.  

As far true synergy, Water would be made better by Sonic's -res by allowing it to do more damage.

Mostly true, but it depends on what you want.  I have a Water/Force Field Corruptor for Rikti mothership raids and Incarnate Trials, (which has a lot of irresistible damage anyway).  Why?  Force Field Controllers and Corruptors have the highest AoE mez protection in the game outside of the Clarion Destiny.  Higher than Force Field and Sonic Resonance Defenders even. 

Plus, Force Bubble helps a lot with both Rikti mothership raids and the BAF Incarnate Trial.  "You shall not pass!" 

I have the character slots, so I think I might give both a whirl and see how it plays out.  Current brain thought is to do a FF/Water def and a Sonic/Beam def.  Maybe.  I need to play with the creator and see what costumes I can come up with. Thanks for the input!! 🙂

• Like 1

Update!

Sooo, as far as a Defender using /Water ... I ended up with Poison/Water, heh.

Something just clicked when I started playing around in the character creator, and I have a hero who is a Perfumer by trade, and a Hero.  😄  Tinted the powers to make them pretty, delicate, and fairly subtle ... and her stick is that she just throws perfume at things.

Whether or not she'll be effective at all, I have no clue 😄

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rhaethe said:

Update!

Something just clicked when I started playing around in the character creator, and I have a hero who is a Perfumer by trade, and a Hero.  😄  Tinted the powers to make them pretty, delicate, and fairly subtle ... and her stick is that she just throws perfume at things.

Effective is nice, but the important things are that you aren't an active detriment to your team (which I can't see how), and that you enjoy it.  If both are met, then that's all that matters!

• Like 1

It's hard for me to hide my dislike of Sonic Resonance. It has the foundation for a good set, but its endurance hungry beyond reasonableness and too many powers don't accept IOs. At least with Force Field you've got 4 opportunities for Luck of the Gambler. 

That said, I'm rolling a Sonic Res character right now, because even not great sets are still fun to toy with.

Edited by oedipus_tex

• 3 weeks later

I'm absolutely loving my Radiation Emission Water Blast Defender. Water compliments Rad very well. All the knock downs (ups) and debuffs + Buffs = too much fun. So far pick up groups have loved me. Rad inf and Lingering Rad crush mobs defenses. Water Burst and Geyser keeps them on their butts and Whirlpool is just insult to injury. Add in Leadership (Vengeance), teleport (recall friend) and Power Mastery (Power Build-up) to be disgusting if an ally falls (Fallout). EM pulse is a wicked hold.

Neutron Moderator is his name.

On 8/15/2019 at 10:33 PM, Rhaethe said:

Update!

I hope you named it Proc'Nasty cuz all proced up that chars gonna be a nice combo. Was looking at it the other day and you can get some serious aoe damage going along with some in your face kup, kdown, kallaround.

... and debuffs and stuff. 🙂

• Like 1