Suggestion: Remove Title Restrictions

Phanto

I have a game suggestion which has been on my mind since way back in the day. Have a look at this https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Titles

It never made sense to me that titles would be held behind Origin and Alignment restrictions. Why can't a Natural origin be "wise"? Why can't a Science origin be "strange"? It makes no sense to me and serves no real purpose in the game. For the sake of player creativity and investment, I think the Origin and Alignment restrictions should be removed.

What do you think? If you like the idea, give some support in the comments.

• Like 2

• Retired Game Master

I think, and could very well be wrong, the limiting factor is actually the UI. I've heard that certain elements of the UI are.... unfriendly... to being changed. Not sure if the title selection element is one of them.

There could have been theming reasons behind the original choice, too. Like as not there were. Though if selecting your title is all about choice, I'm not sure the wisdom behind arbitrarily limiting that choice. Perhaps to make Origins seem a little more important? Who can say. I like the idea of opening up title selection a bit, regardless.

13 minutes ago, GM Sijin said:

I think, and could very well be wrong, the limiting factor is actually the UI. I've heard that certain elements of the UI are.... unfriendly... to being changed. Not sure if the title selection element is one of them.

There could have been theming reasons behind the original choice, too. Like as not there were. Though if selecting your title is all about choice, I'm not sure the wisdom behind arbitrarily limiting that choice. Perhaps to make Origins seem a little more important? Who can say. I like the idea of opening up title selection a bit, regardless.

That all sounds very plausible, though I hope that the UI limitation isn't real in this case. In regards to original reasons for the title restrictions, I'm guessing its a matter of "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

In this image I borrowed from Paragon WIki, we can see a list of titles available to this particular character. We also see a scroll-down function, which implies that the list could be extended. I'm obviously not an authority on the CoH UI, but this gives me some hope that more titles could be added.

titles.PNG

Edited by Phanto
Formatting

While I would love to open up more options regarding the titles, my personal desire is for a "custom" option via a text box to allow us to enter what we'd like. Granted, the UI may not support that at all, but hey, it's nice to dream.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, n00baka said:

While I would love to open up more options regarding the titles, my personal desire is for a "custom" option via a text box to allow us to enter what we'd like. Granted, the UI may not support that at all, but hey, it's nice to dream.

Custom titles kinda scare me... I know what some of the players are capable of... 😂

I'd like to see an expanded selection from the existing options (I have one character right now, for example, who "needs" a title available only to the other side and a completely different Origin), but custom titles would be... "fraught". Heck, let's just admit it - most would be grossly obscene, ____ist, etc etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GM Sijin said:

I believe it might have had to do with the window length when all the titles were put together. Tried looking for the explination in obvious places on the Legacy forums, but some of them have quite a few pages.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.