Help! Looking to get started.

IzzieFrost

Hey All!

I am looking to start a new character on the Excelsior server and want to know where to start to get the best info for a great build and local players to hang with.  I am new to online gaming in general and would like someone willing to take me under their wing and show me the ropes. I know that there are "new user" forums, but I am looking for some specific links that might get me going quickly and maybe some friendly assistance. 

Thanks a bunch!

Iz

Edited by IzzieFrost
Clearer communication

Hi Izzie!  Welcome to the game, and to the server!

My advice would be to get in with a Super Group, and the best place to find those is The Excelsior Super Group topic.  It's about 3 pages long right now, but it is a really helpful resource in seeing what super groups are available on the server, and what they are like.  That way, you can find a group that will actually take the time to help you learn the game, rather than just expecting you to keep up.  I hope you find a good home here!

• Like 1

Excelsior is full of amazing, smart, helpful people, so you can drop your questions in Help chat or PM any of us (my global is also my forum name).  We'll all do what we can to answer your questions and help you out.  

For build help, check out the specific threads on various ATs.  I can help you with a blaster, mm, or troll build, but if you're running a tank, etc., I'm totally useless to you.  :P

To be honest, I'd recommend trying all sorts of different archetypes and power combinations in the starting zone, Atlas Park, until you find a particular combination that you find fun to play, before teaming up with anyone;  Familiarize yourself with how different powers and game mechanics work, what different enemy tiers are like, and so on, so that you at least have a foundation upon which to begin playing with other people.  Grab one of the movement and jetpack powers from the P2W vendor there, and just become more comfortable with moving around and navigating.  I'd suggest something like a scrapper, brute, or sentinel at first, since they have a more straightforward playstyle.  Make sure you absolutely love your character's look and powers, so you know you'll want to stick with them for a while.  Don't be afraid to push your comfort zone a bit and there's really no penalty to dying below level 10...