The Dark Years (OOC)

Cyrickain13

Greetings fellow RP. I wanted to see if I was the only one who thought writing a version of the 6 years of no CoX.

Going from a World where heroes and villains were pretty common place to going to where there are none.

I'm guessing that is what ship of heroes was going to be like. All the heroes and villains got rounded up and placed on a ship...

Anyways I have several thoughts I am exploring on this topic. 

1. Mandella Effect: only a few people remeber heroes and villains. Nothing really has any solid concrete evidence. No actual Paragon City. 

2. Paragon City and the surrounding zones closed up the Rikti Force Fields and all Villians and Heroes have lived in that bubble for 9 years. After almost a decade trying to break out someone finally did. Heroes and Villians are being released back into the wild and how the governments will deal with that.

3. Genetic Virus wiped anyone with powers and now the power genome has finally mutated enough to start producing heroes and villains again.

Anyways those are my thoughts and a Rp post should be coming out soon.

Edited by Cyrickain13
Changed amount of years.

It's been 6.5 years, not 9. (Or about 156, if we go in-game time, since every RL hour is a day in Paragon, but I've never met anyone who tracks things that way)

Pedantry aside, most people I've run in to seem to assume that the city kept right on going, no cataclysm, no blip, just business as usual.

• Like 1

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

This is the sort of topic that should have been discussed when Homecoming & Everlasting first opened.

But I don't think it's a topic worth approaching. Personally, I oppose any kind of "server lore", that is, a group of people deciding how people are allowed to approach a certain topic (in this case, the Real Time between shutdown of live and Homecoming), since there will always be people left out due to not reading the forums/discord. 

If you want, on a personal level, to say your own characters did X Y X in that time, that's fine. I did that with mine, but I feel a line has to be drawn under "[This Event] happened to everyone."

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

eh, it was discussed, actually:
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/1433-the-big-question-of-continuity/

Basically most people came down on:  Everyone is right, since multiverse theory.  There are versions of it where yes; Paragon City and the Etoile Isles were nuked by a pre-emptive attack by The Battalion.  There are versions of "things just kept on keeping on."  And there are versions of "we evacuated, but came back to find XYZ had happened / not happened."

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses. For my characters the time skip doesn't matter. I thought it would be a good writing exercise for me to delve into CoX lore and come up with a plausible explanation within those confines.

Again thanks for your replies.

Edited by Cyrickain13
Mispelled word

18 hours ago, AerialAssault said:

This is the sort of topic that should have been discussed when Homecoming & Everlasting first opened.

But I don't think it's a topic worth approaching. Personally, I oppose any kind of "server lore", that is, a group of people deciding how people are allowed to approach a certain topic (in this case, the Real Time between shutdown of live and Homecoming), since there will always be people left out due to not reading the forums/discord. 

If you want, on a personal level, to say your own characters did X Y X in that time, that's fine. I did that with mine, but I feel a line has to be drawn under "[This Event] happened to everyone."

I'm not doing server lore. I am writing my version of what happened during the time of no CoX. 

It affects as many people as any other story would. Perhaps if I compose it well enough ot might give the Devs something to read but that's about it.

21 hours ago, Zolgar said:

It's been 6.5 years, not 9. (Or about 156, if we go in-game time, since every RL hour is a day in Paragon, but I've never met anyone who tracks things that way)

Pedantry aside, most people I've run in to seem to assume that the city kept right on going, no cataclysm, no blip, just business as usual.

Thank you.

The personal Lore that several of my characters use among my little group of RPers is that at the conclusion of the Mot War (the DA arc) Paragon and Etolie were basically hazardous and unlivable, and had to be evacuated. Those characters either retired/traveled the world, or moved to Millennium City (ala Champions Online) for a time. Once Paragon City was returned to a state of livability, most everyone came back.

We use some bits of CO's lore to cover some non-conflicting details of the larger world, since CoX kept details of anywhere outside of Paragon City or the Rogue Isles painfully sparse.

This varies on a per character basis.

Dr Mechano is from the 'original universe', something happened that caused him to flee and dimension hop for the next seven years. He can't remember what it was since his brain and memories have become kind of scrambled through having been through so many forms and timelines (His theory of 'dimensional scaling' is that the dimension will naturally force your power or form to whatever it deems appropriate upon arrival. Hence why he was a Gnome in WoW and an Asura in GW2 etc.).

However Amy Zon, is the 'Everlasting' version of that character, she's a Rogue, not a hero and thus is a muscle or hire.

Heraclea was ordered by the inscrutable gods to travel to the Underworld.  (Every epic hero does this.  It's in the contract.)  From there she travelled to even more wondrous places, like Hyboria.  (She still visits when she is in a drinking mood.) 

As is customary when one spends time in an eldritch and fey place, when she returned she found a world that had been subtly changed.  Where once she relied on pure force of arm, she found that the infernal gods had granted her dark powers: of life-stealing, of fear, of leaching skill of hand.  People she knew were often still there, but oddly changed, although they all seemed unaware that anything was amiss.  Little she could do but shrug and carry on. 

• Like 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291