Idea for a different kind of "costume contest"

lordbasl

While playing the other day on TB, I encountered a character who explained that he created the name and power sets for the toon after hitting "Random" in the costume design step of character generation.

That got me to thinking ...

Since costume files are saved locally to the client system, might it be possible to create rando costumes tagged as such and submit them for conrest judging?

What say you, Homecoming Community? Brainstorm or Brain Fart?

I sometimes page through the random costume rolls to see what comes up.  Most of them are awful and ugly.  That would make for quite and assemblage of folk though, visually.  Like an ugly, ugly assemblage.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 9/4/2019 at 3:58 PM, RikOz said:

I know it's RNG, but man, every time I've played around with the random feature it seems to be heavily weighted toward selecting the bestial and monstrous heads and pieces. That, and those jester parts come up with alarming frequency.

I was about to mention those animal heads when I made my post!  So many green tigers, dark blue wolves!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:
On 9/4/2019 at 4:58 PM, RikOz said:

I know it's RNG, but man, every time I've played around with the random feature it seems to be heavily weighted toward selecting the bestial and monstrous heads and pieces. That, and those jester parts come up with alarming frequency.

I was about to mention those animal heads when I made my post!  So many green tigers, dark blue wolves!

Same here.

And crab legs, seems like every third roll has crab legs.

I don't think the RNG's dice are regulation.

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Another alternate costume contest that I use to participate in a lot back on Legacy was on the forums and used the colour palette. The player that ran the contest would pick 5 colours from the costume creator palette (sometimes 3) and players could create whatever they wanted with the stipulation that you use use the colours selected for that week and only those colours. Skin was exempted from the required palette.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

As far as I can tell the RNG doesn't weight anything, so because "monstrous heads" is a basic head option like "Full Helmets", you're as likely to get that as the other, even though the latter is a more common *choice*, let alone the more normal head options.

Random basic head choice, random basic torso choice, random basic leg choice, random basic back choice, then random selections within each of those categories, working down the hierarchy, as far as I can tell.