How to earn Inf for your lvl 15 DOs and 25 common IOs

Razia

Hi all

I decided to write this mini sum up, because I have been on several groups in the mid 20s, where people weren't able to buy their DOs/SOs or common IOs. They weren't even aware that they got salvage drops.

I never wrote a guide and I am by no mean an expert, even though I played CoX since launch, but wanted to shared what I do to get some starting money.

After Toon Creation I head over to the P2W Vendor to get the double exp bonus and some veteran attacks (Nemesis Statt, Magic Wand, Sands of Mu etc). You won't get any influence drop at 200% bonus, but that doesn't matter. Head left from there and kill some Hellions, usually around 6 - 8 and you will be level 2. Get another attack at the trainer. It's optional, because we have veteran attacks, but it can help.

Now head over to the AE building and do some of those Elite Bosses Tunnel runs (just search for Tunnels), but keep your heroic difficulty settings. It needs to be set to no bosses, so you can earn tickets. You will get normal bosses, no EBs, but you can earn tickets that way. It usually takes me 3 - 4 runs and I am level 12 and can slot DOs.

Head to the ticket vendor and roll for one random common salvage for 8 tickets. Sell this one to the inspiration vendor for 250 inf. Now you have money to list something on the Auction House. Take the remaining tickets and buy rare salvage. This will usually sell for 400.000 - 600.000 inf. Now you have enough money to buy your level 15 DOs. Take the remaining tickets and roll for level 20 - 25 common tech and magic salvage, so you will have that already, when you hit 22 and can mostly craft you common level 25 IOs. I usually just buy the recipes on the working bench, but that is up to you. By the time you hit 22 you will have enough money for 25 common IOs. Those will not go red and you don't need to replace them so you will save money in the long run.

At levlel 12 I usually slot 15 DOs and upgrade them at level 17 so I can be of use to my teams. But that's up to you, I heard some people don't slot anything until 22. Just keep selling rare salvage that you might get as drops on your way to 22 and you should be golden.

Bear in mind that I am not a new player, so skipping the first levels to 12 is not an issue for me, but might be for a new player.  If you don't want to run AE you can just sell the salvage you get on your way, you might be lucky and get a rare drop.

This is actually really important.  You should also pay attention to the low level recipes you acquire.  I hadn't thought to sell salvage.  By the time salvage and recipes were a thing, originally, I had a bunch of high level characters and inf wasn't an issue.  But now that's not a thing, and I was sitting on a level 17 blaster with nowhere near enough influence for DOs.  I figured, what could it hurt and checked to see if my recipes were any good.  I just happened to have one worth 200k and now I'm flush for whatever I might need to buy going forward.

I will definitely check the value on my salvage too.  So thanks for the suggestion.

For those unfamiliar with Wenthworths.  When you talk to the broker you will want to open your storage too.  Drag whatever you're looking to sell into the broker window then click on find, it will give you a list of the values for the last 5 sales.  Pick a reasonable price based on that, there will be a charge based on the price.  If someone put an order in for that price or more you will get the best price available, there will also be a charge here and you will have to pay the difference between the new price and the price you originally paid.

Virtue Shard:

Quick Shot Kid

Liberty Vanguard

Gleaming Spark

Shadow Squirrel

I have to add this as an alt to buying rare salvage for 540 tickets each. Yes, you can make 400k to 600k that way But when you are like level 7 " I think it is " you can buy Random recipe bronze for 60 tickets each. Most of the time it will be a yellow recipe but you can get the orange ones too. When you have about 600 or more tickets buy the Random Bronze recipes. My self I wait till I have about 1200 or more "around two runs in AE" before I do it and then buy all the Random Bronze recipes that I can.  Then type /AH and put all the recipes in storage. Once done go to each one and press find to see what the last ones sold for. IF they don't sell for at least 2k or more I just press Get and vendor those. But here's the thing you have a high chance of getting yellows that sell for 25k or more. I list them for 10 influ to save on fees. There are some yellows that sell for 400k to 3million. yes, there are level 10 to level 14 recipes. Most of the time I make way more doing this, then buying rare salvage and selling them on the AH. I did this last night starting a new toon and made about 3million off two ticket runs in the AE. I went from level 2 to about level 9

Just thought I throw this out there to help

The only 2 add I would make:

*you can easily earn between 10K and 50K selling a single LARGE inspy.  And if you do Outbreak Tutorial, there's 2 right off the bat, and if you take Inner Inspiration from the P2W vendor, you can more more inspy's that will always be medium (not worth selling, but totally worth using) and large ones...You can easily generate 300K inf by level 20

*The P2W vendor gives 5 free special enhancements - they do damage+recharge rate, and each has a special proc that's good until lvl 22.  You can grab all 5 at once, and slot them in your damage powers as you level up.  So if you start crafting at lvl 15, there are 5 free enhancements you already have, and thus 5 less to pay for.  Caveats:  You can't sell these enhancements, and while you can collect as many as you want, you can only use 1 each of the 5.  But I usually get 2 of each, because I'll end up accidentally slotting over one, and I can just replace it right then.  Finally, the Proc goes away at lvl 22, and the benefits start dropping around then as well, so you'll want to replace these at lvl 22.

• Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Certainly some good options for earning money at the low end. I might even drop a link to this guide into my own guide on making money through Enhancement conversion.

As I point out in that guide, you can also get a decent chunk of money very quickly just by visiting all the badges in Atlas to get 5 Reward Merits, then buying 15 Enhancement Converters at the vendor and listing some on the market (while keeping others to use in making yet more money via conversion).

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

Architect Entertainment- it’s marked as AE on the maps where there is one.  It also called Mission Architect.  You can build and play player created missions.  It often used as farming missions for people who want to level quicker

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

*you can easily earn between 10K and 50K selling a single LARGE inspy.  And if you do Outbreak Tutorial, there's 2 right off the bat, and if you take Inner Inspiration from the P2W vendor, you can more more inspy's that will always be medium (not worth selling, but totally worth using) and large ones...You can easily generate 300K inf by level 20

I cannot reiterate this enough.  You have (usually) at least 10k of seed capital fresh out of Outbreak.  Use that to:

1. Buy unwanted recipes from the AH and sell them to vendors.  Buy them at lvl 50 since vendors pay based on level.

2.  Buy unwanted enhancements, especially SOs and sell them to vendors.  A lot of people would rather put them on the AH for essentially free.

3.  Trade common salvage.  I do this with all new alts and generally have my first million in less than 10 minutes while running missions.

That’s not even touching the crafting and converting strategies covered in the Market sub forum.

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

1. Buy unwanted recipes from the AH and sell them to vendors.  Buy them at lvl 50 since vendors pay based on level.

2.  Buy unwanted enhancements, especially SOs and sell them to vendors.  A lot of people would rather put them on the AH for essentially free.

3.  Trade common salvage.  I do this with all new alts and generally have my first million in less than 10 minutes while running missions.

That’s not even touching the crafting and converting strategies covered in the Market sub forum.

These are great suggestions!  I haven't really thought about the first 2 at all.

+1 Inf!

• 3 weeks later
2 minutes ago, Replacement said:

What?

Believe it or not, exactly like it sounds.  I should have a very specific guide up in a few days about how I do this.  Common salvage moves quickly, and it is easy to increase an original stake of 10,000 or so into a million.  It is not easy to increase a stake of a million into ten million, though -- it's pretty click-intensive and gets tedious.

Who run Bartertown?

10 minutes ago, Replacement said:

I'm asking if there's some mechanism I'm unaware of, or if you're talking about buying cheap salvage and NPCing it, or some other mechanism. I don't know what "trade common salvage" means.

Buying it on the AH and selling it on the AH for a higher price.

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?