Question: rooms with grass floors

MTeague

Okay, I have stumbled and fumbled a bit, and managed to upgrade my plot, add three rooms, learn how to adjust floor and ceiling height, and set the cieling to open sky and choose the kind of sky I want.  So far, so good, for a complete newbie as base building. 

I would like to have one room that looks like a public park, etc.  As if you'd just walked from a cave out onto a grassy hill.

Under "Place Objects" and the category of "Nature", I found Grass Valley, but it looks like it's 24x24 or something and won't place. I also find Grass Transition #1 and #2, but those only make small patches of grass that don't actually even fill their whole cell... they just sink into the cobblestone floor. 

You get some grassy look, but I'd like a Wall-To-Wall grass/dirt/hill base for this room's floor.

How would you go about doing that?

screenshot_190914-21-08-52.jpg

If you look under the "surfaces" tab you'll see square sections of grass that you can place down as floor plates. You can use them to cover the ground and then put the grassy hills and such down wherever you like, and it'll blend together. Not perfectly, as the edges aren't really that smooth transitions, but close enough.

I'm a fairly novice base builder and I added a similar park room to my base, complete with rocky pool in the middle. If you need any advice just let me know.

I did have a slight issue with the grass floor in that if I overlapped parts of it, I would get some serious flickering. I resolved that by making sure that I used the correct tile sizes to get total coverage without overlapping tiles.

3 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I'm a fairly novice base builder and I added a similar park room to my base, complete with rocky pool in the middle. If you need any advice just let me know.

I did have a slight issue with the grass floor in that if I overlapped parts of it, I would get some serious flickering. I resolved that by making sure that I used the correct tile sizes to get total coverage without overlapping tiles.

Yeah, a lot of objects tend to flicker badly when they overlap something else, especially surface-type objects. I usually set the grid to 2x2 when I'm laying down large areas of floor, that way there's much less chance of it overlapping at all, since you can line edges up more easily.