Grav/, using Dimension Shift offensively

Nimruht

So, reading the tooltip on Dimension Shift, it appears that it makes 'that area' intangible/phased out. Anyone who enters, can then interact with that bubble.

This leads me to believe the outside world cannot, therefore what's to stop a person from using it as a form of defense. Toggle it on the ones you are fighting, ignore the others. Pop out when you are ready to deal. I guess that isn't really offensive, but wanted to know if it functions as I am thinking.

I hadn't ever used it before, and I wanted to experiment with the grav/time builds being discusssed, so I made a grav/time on Pineapple and played around with D.Shift. It does pretty much work as you describe. In can fight in, and out can fight out. But in and out cannot fight each other. Moreover, based at least on Singularity's behavior, it doesn't seem the NPCs can really tell the difference. They do not attempt to close the range if their ranged attacks don't affect you. That said, D.Shift felt to me like it didn't last very long. The info says about 20 seconds, which I guess right, but the recharge doesn't start until it toggles off, so it cannot be permaed.

Easiest way to think of it is that no attacks can "reach" ACROSS the boundary layer of the bubble.

Inside to Inside works.

Outside to Outside works.

In to Out or the reverse of Out to In does not work.

Easiest way to resolve the issue of NPCs not "knowing" that the bubble of Dimension Shift is "blocking" their attacks from doing damage is to use Wormhole to reposition the $Targets you want defeated.  Wormhole them onto your Singularity and THEN cast Dimension Shift to "lock them in together" while you stay outside and do /em Newspaper until the Dimension Shift toggle drops after 20s and then start blasting away at the survivors who are all firmly aggro locked onto your Singularity.

If the NPCs aren't going to be "smart" about things, at least the PCs can try to be ... (try) ...

• Like 2

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

I've used it more than I care to admit ironically.  Especially for rescue missions or when someone pulls a mob straight ahead of them but they didn't notice the three mobs hiding in the corner that they also pulled by mistake.  When moments like this happen I am able to lockdown 3 or more mobs.  1 group gets Wormholed and immobed, the other groups gets held and the third groups gets Dimension Shifted. 

6 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

A lot of the playerbase still doesn't understand the new revamped mechanics of dimension shift, and often have a reprehensible attitude towards it.

True ... but that kind of Conventional Wisdom™ can only get overturned by examples of "oh now that's clever!" gameplay that makes people envy what you just managed to pull of in front of them.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.