Proposed new powerset: Dual Gunblade Assault -- What do you get for a Dominator that has it all?

Zepp

Alright, I was in the other recent Assault suggestion, and I was thinking about how handedness would make it difficult to do a left-handed sword and a right-handed pistol (having the sword in the right makes porting single-handed attacks much easier, and pistol attacks could be ported from dual pistols (although it may look silly with a sword pointing upward in one hand). Then I thought about the Wilkes - South Seas Expedition... they used pistol swords in their skirmishes with Fijians. So I thought, we have dual blade, we have dual pistol... why not do both at the same time. We could start off with using the Diamondback as a stand-in (with a rotated version ported as a sword skin. If it worked out well, more skins could be added either based on current weapons or newly made.

What would it look like though? Dual Blades, Dual Pistols, Devices

Name Animation Level  Description
Pistols Pistols 1 Ranged, Minor Damage (Lethal), -Defense
Ablating Strikes Ablating Strikes 2 Melee, Moderate Damage (Lethal), Foe -Defense
Bullet Rain Bullet Rain 4 Ranged (Targeted AoE), Moderate Damage (Lethal), Knockback
Blinding Feint Blinding Feint 10 Melee, Moderate Damage (Lethal) Self +Damage +To-Hit
Suppressive Fire Suppressive Fire 16 Ranged, Minor Damage (Lethal), Foe Disorient
Stealth Gear Cloaking Device 20 Toggle: Self Stealth, +Defense (All), +Special
Piercing Rounds Piercing Rounds      28 Narrow Ranged (Cone), High Damage (Lethal), Foes -Res(All)
Sweeping Strikes     Sweeping Strikes 35 Melee (Cone), Superior Damage (Lethal)
Hail of Bullets    Hail of Bullets 38 PBAoE, Superior DMG(Lethal), +Defense(Ranged/Melee/AoE), Foe Knockdown

This provides a fast-paced offense-oriented Assault set with a nice touch of defense in there to make things interesting.

Thoughts?

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Rename blinding Feint?

What about keeping the pistols at the angles they are (The gunblades you refer to) and giving the set Claw Melee attacks? The punchy style attacks would work well enough as "Katar Punches"

That said... I'd vastly prefer to see the "Gun and Sword" powerset given it's own unique powers with unique animations that keep both weapons out. Compete with it's own "Draw" animations, but also a Fencing style.

Things like a Lunge attack for a melee ST or Cone where you stab through several people in a big dramatic forward motion with increased range over typical melee attacks. Or a Stab and Shot power where you stab them AND shoot them in the same animation, point blank type stuff.

I just think it'd be more interesting.

320px-German_-_Combination_Sword_and_Whe

Yup yup! A Single barrel along the blade was the typical "Gunblade" method.

Though, generally, it was more common on Daggers than swords. Mainly because the flex in a given blade could cause problems in trajectory.

The intention of the weapon was not to have a ranged weapon while holding a melee weapon, after all. No, thanks to the short barrel and relatively high inaccuracy of your average lead ball, the intent was to stab someone with the blade and then pull the trigger.

47 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

Yup yup! A Single barrel along the blade was the typical "Gunblade" method.

Though, generally, it was more common on Daggers than swords. Mainly because the flex in a given blade could cause problems in trajectory.

The intention of the weapon was not to have a ranged weapon while holding a melee weapon, after all. No, thanks to the short barrel and relatively high inaccuracy of your average lead ball, the intent was to stab someone with the blade and then pull the trigger.

Actually, I believe they were mainly used for boar hunting. But my memory may be off...

40 minutes ago, Zepp said:

Actually, I believe they were mainly used for boar hunting. But my memory may be off...

Those were typically guns on the end of a broad-headed boar-hunting spear.

ff4949098ceccd8a1eebd8d8464199b3.jpg

You did NOT want to get into Sword/Dagger range with a boar! You used Spears and Horses to keep your sensitive fleshy bits away from the goring tusks.

And, again, it was "Stab, then pull the cord to fire the gun"

7 hours ago, That Ninja said:

Perhaps they could use Broadsword animations in the right hand and pistol animations in the left?

There would need to be some adjustments to the animations (as stated in the OP), due to chirality issues... This means that you would basically need to make new animations.

13 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

What about keeping the pistols at the angles they are (The gunblades you refer to) and giving the set Claw Melee attacks? The punchy style attacks would work well enough as "Katar Punches"

That said... I'd vastly prefer to see the "Gun and Sword" powerset given it's own unique powers with unique animations that keep both weapons out. Compete with it's own "Draw" animations, but also a Fencing style.

Things like a Lunge attack for a melee ST or Cone where you stab through several people in a big dramatic forward motion with increased range over typical melee attacks. Or a Stab and Shot power where you stab them AND shoot them in the same animation, point blank type stuff.

I just think it'd be more interesting.

I like the idea of a gun & sword as well, but as per the OP, I think it would be more work than is currently reasonable. The issue with claws is that they would be slashing with the flat of the blade...