Older computer

SolarCenturion

You might wanna start with some system specs to judge by...

• Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

10 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

You might wanna start with some system specs to judge by...

It'd also be nice to know which specific OS you're running, and perhaps a screenshot of the error message.  Cheers!

Edited by biostem

I'm not sure about the specs, I don't know if the returned game has higher specs than the original. However, the same computer over time, as it accumulates more and more OS patches DOES slow down. As if you've patched for spectre/meltdown vulnerabilities, then you could be seeing up to a 30% reduction in CPU processing power in some cases. If you've updated the OS, maybe it takes more cycles to run than the old OS. There are a lot of variables that could cause a machine to not be the machine it used to be.  😞

53 minutes ago, SolarCenturion said:

Yah, I'd love to sit and look up the specs when I have time but my general question is if it worked before why wouldn't it work now? It's literally the same damn game

Could be any one of a number of things;  Maybe the requirements of CoH have changed between now and then.  Maybe CoH is coded to look for certain revisions or "newness" of software, but because some of that software may be newer than the client, it get confused or something.  Have you tried launching the game in safe mode or with other startup options?  Check out the client commands at paragonwiki...

6 hours ago, SolarCenturion said:

this is the exact same computer I ran CoH on during live

Is it though? You haven't patched or changed any thing on the PC in question since 2012? If you haven't that is what is commonly known as a bad idea.

1 hour ago, SolarCenturion said:

It's literally the same damn game

Same game in name only. As with any application it has undergone changes and the version of the application used now is not the same as the one you last played whenever that was. For all we know you could be trying to run the 64 bit executable on a 32 bit OS.

Happy to help but sort of PC specs and the OS version are vital to being able to.

On 11/4/2019 at 10:01 PM, SolarCenturion said:

Yah, I'd love to sit and look up the specs when I have time but my general question is if it worked before why wouldn't it work now? It's literally the same damn game

It also depends on when "before" happened.  City of Heroes did get a mild spec bump after Ultra Mode was released, taking the minimum requirements away from the GeForce MX and Radeon 8000 series that were fine for minimum performance during launch.  If you stopped playing before Issue 17, that could be why.

And keep in mind we're players just like you.  Unlike the live game, nobody is being paid to answer anything here.  We want to help, but without answering our questions, we're guessing just as much about your situation as you are.

Inactive account.  For current info, see GM_Tock.

dont forget coh now with it newer engin and updates now is looking for an amd or nvidia gpu. if it cant find one or one of the intel gpu it may not launch. the people that make ccleaner make a program called spacy that read and print out our pc spec that you can post here.