When Will There Be Any Actual Content Coming To This Server?

Sylar

Serious question, i see a lot of other servers moving ahead with new content, new storylines, more bug fixes and attention to the playerbase, the only thing that is stopping me from playing this server more is the fact that nothing really of value has been added in terms of new powersets (new sets from live from the original devs do not count and Sentinel has been around for 7 years+).

Is there a road map, a timescale or a conversation of things to come? is there any coders left working on this server? and is Leandro apart of this server anymore?

I would like to do a review of this server sometime but whats holding me back is the bad experiences ive had with this server and the lack of communication of certain things and lack of content, any information would be grateful thanks.

They've put out 2 new story arcs and a number of balance changes. I think Homecoming is focusing more on making sure everything is stable and sustainable so people can play CoH as they remember it. They are planning on moving forward with new content but I think it's a safe assumption that the smaller servers are always going to move faster with adding new stuff. Smaller communities allow the devs to take bigger risks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This server remains closer to the actual Live City of Heroes we wanted back all these years, instead of being a random grab bag modding effort.

And unsurprisingly, it's the biggest server by a huge margin as a result.

• Like 5

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

42 minutes ago, SaintD said:

This server remains closer to the actual Live City of Heroes we wanted back all these years, instead of being a random grab bag modding effort.

And unsurprisingly, it's the biggest server by a huge margin as a result.

Its not a big server because of what it does, its a big server because it had its foot in the door of establishing itself as the major server before the code was leaked to the masses, so it had a much better chance of gaining the majority of the playerbase as a result.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Sylar said:

Its not a big server because of what it does, its a big server because it had its foot in the door of establishing itself as the major server before the code was leaked to the masses, so it had a much better chance of gaining the majority of the playerbase as a result.

That argument would work if it wasn't so easy to play the servers and all the additions to the other servers were really that significant. People stay here because they just want to play CoX. Simple as that.

• Like 1

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

Homecoming used to have the most changes (Sentinel, I25) compared to Live, while other servers started more conservative (plain I24 as on Live). The pro-Homecoming argument used to be "players don't care to be as close to the actual City of Heroes game we played as possible. If you want that, go play on Rebirth" (or whatever the name was). It seems odd to reverse the rationalisation, and suggests, as Sylar says, server choice has more to do with social factors and inertia.

Don't get me wrong, I love Homecoming. And I think the reason people stick around here is exactly "they just want to play CoX"... the flavor of CoX being secondary.

• Like 1

I havent tried other servers (because I dont know how) but I do know there are some very nice and helpful people here on HC who are available and answer the call when I need help.  If the other servers have smaller populations (by a large margin so I have heard) that might limit how many people are available to help so players stay where the population is.

To address the changes and upgrades to the server the OP wants to know about, I think the upgraded undercarriage (64 bit client) and other behind the scenes stuff in preparation for the future seems like slow progress but is really the best way to go about HCs goals for the server.  As has been mentioned, they also recently added some storylines.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sylar said:

I would like to do a review of this server sometime but whats holding me back is the bad experiences ive had with this server and the lack of communication of certain things and lack of content, any information would be grateful thanks.

I'm sorry that you have had bad experiences, but this makes me wonder if your review may be coloured by your own individual experiences. I've found homecoming very satisfactory as a service.

As for content, I only expect as much as CoX had when it was shut down. The fact that it has had any development at all is a miracle. As others have said, the 64-bit client is a massive bonus.

I think the other servers are having some really cool ideas and testing out some awesome stuff. But Homecoming has everything I expect the game to have and more, with the benefit of a large playerbase. I don't know what it would take to tempt me elsewhere; I doubt I could be. New ATs and Powersets are pretty, but feel premature at this point when we've not really got a handle on creating new visual assets. CoX had plenty of content as it was and I'm a very long way from being done with the existing game.

Edited by Lines
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, SaintD said:

That argument would work if it wasn't so easy to play the servers and all the additions to the other servers were really that significant. People stay here because they just want to play CoX. Simple as that.

i mean, you said this server "remains closer to the original game" but you are forgetting that all these changes were made by Leandro like 7 years ago, they are not official changes, so if the server has had 7 years of changes then it is far from being similar to the original game, if anything, Rebirth is staying closer to the original game.

1 hour ago, EmmySky said:

I havent tried other servers (because I dont know how) but I do know there are some very nice and helpful people here on HC who are available and answer the call when I need help.  If the other servers have smaller populations (by a large margin so I have heard) that might limit how many people are available to help so players stay where the population is.

To address the changes and upgrades to the server the OP wants to know about, I think the upgraded undercarriage (64 bit client) and other behind the scenes stuff in preparation for the future seems like slow progress but is really the best way to go about HCs goals for the server.  As has been mentioned, they also recently added some storylines.  

Respectfully the part about population is kinda wrong, i totally understand that you want  to stay here on HC, but if you wanted to see what the population is like for yourself, then i suggest giving the other servers a whirl, assuming that because you have been on HC and population is high you get more help, could not be more further from the truth.

I have played on all the servers and they all help you out if you asked, especially We Have Cake and CoXG, though i haven't played Rebirth in a long time but they are still helpful, in fact in my experience smaller communities means you get the help more and better teaming because people will engage with you more.

45 minutes ago, Sylar said:

Respectfully the part about population is kinda wrong, i totally understand that you want  to stay here on HC, but if you wanted to see what the population is like for yourself, then i suggest giving the other servers a whirl, assuming that because you have been on HC and population is high you get more help, could not be more further from the truth.

I have played on all the servers and they all help you out if you asked, especially We Have Cake and CoXG, though i haven't played Rebirth in a long time but they are still helpful, in fact in my experience smaller communities means you get the help more and better teaming because people will engage with you more.

To be clear, I meant that because of the times I play people may not be available, online, I was NOT making a comment about the willingness or helpfulness of people here or there.  You are right in that I should see for myself to verify populations rather just 'hearing' that other servers have small populations.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sylar said:

Not to sound disrespectful or anything, but there are 15 people online right now in Rebirth. There are 8 threads in the Builds forum. How is this even a remotely viable alternative to Homecoming ? Am I looking at the wrong place, because I'm not seeing how Rebirth has any relevance ( https://cityofheroesrebirth.com/ )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seigmoraig said:

Not to sound disrespectful or anything, but there are 15 people online right now in Rebirth. There are 8 threads in the Builds forum. How is this even a remotely viable alternative to Homecoming ? Am I looking at the wrong place, because I'm not seeing how Rebirth has any relevance ( https://cityofheroesrebirth.com/ )

To clear something up, the help you get is much more discord based than forum based, for example if you were to join Rebirth, CoXG or even We Have Cake, most of their help and team ups happen on the discord, i guarantee if you came on and asked for help in any way shape or form, myself, and many others would gladly point you in the right direction and help you out with anything, player count has absolutely nothing to do with the willingness and support the communities can offer.

1 hour ago, Sylar said:

To clear something up, the help you get is much more discord based than forum based, for example if you were to join Rebirth, CoXG or even We Have Cake, most of their help and team ups happen on the discord, i guarantee if you came on and asked for help in any way shape or form, myself, and many others would gladly point you in the right direction and help you out with anything, player count has absolutely nothing to do with the willingness and support the communities can offer.

Not everyone wants to go on Discord to organize a simple ITF run.  On HC, you never have to even think about that, but on those other servers, there aren't even enough people on at once to PUG a TF.  

Regarding the lack of content roll outs, have you completed all of the content available right now?  You've done every TF?  You have stars next to most of the story arcs in Oro?  You have a handful of characters with T4 incarnates? 

If not, what the hell are you asking for more content for?  And if you have, well great, but maybe you should play some other games if you have that much free time.  You burned through 10 years of accumulated content in 6 months, maybe take a break.  

I'm going to agree with Myrmidon though.  This seems like a backhanded way to try and shill for the other servers.  Are you tired of playing with the same 5 people over on Rebirth?

1 hour ago, Sylar said:

Well sure I get that and it's very understandable. That being said if the actual server where you will be putting all that great help and insight to use is a ghost town I don't see how it's a viable alternative. Doing everything alone in an mmorpg is pretty lame. They can have all the QoL changes and new features but if nobody is there, I just don't see the point

10 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

Are you paid to come here and promote those other servers, Sylar? 

not at all, i want to stick to the OP topic but i do feel inclined to correct some false information surrounding other servers, that being said there wouldn't be any harm in advertising if this server is working alongside the other servers, but no i am not advertising.

2 minutes ago, Seigmoraig said:

Well sure I get that and it's very understandable. That being said if the actual server where you will be putting all that great help and insight to use is a ghost town I don't see how it's a viable alternative. Doing everything alone in an mmorpg is pretty lame. They can have all the QoL changes and new features but if nobody is there, I just don't see the point

its not a ghost town though, it just means that this server (HC) gained the majority of the playerbase, i aim to change that in my videos going forward.

12 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

Not everyone wants to go on Discord to organize a simple ITF run.  On HC, you never have to even think about that, but on those other servers, there aren't even enough people on at once to PUG a TF.  

Regarding the lack of content roll outs, have you completed all of the content available right now?  You've done every TF?  You have stars next to most of the story arcs in Oro?  You have a handful of characters with T4 incarnates? 

If not, what the hell are you asking for more content for?  And if you have, well great, but maybe you should play some other games if you have that much free time.  You burned through 10 years of accumulated content in 6 months, maybe take a break.  

I'm going to agree with Myrmidon though.  This seems like a backhanded way to try and shill for the other servers.  Are you tired of playing with the same 5 people over on Rebirth?

Maybe check the other servers to see the population before making a comment on the population of other servers, especially if you play on them.

I have completed all content numerous times on numerous characters, back on live, when i ask for more content, i dont mean story wise, i meant in terms of powers and abilities.

That argument right there is pretty silly, "burned through 10 years of content in 6 months" no, i like many others, have played through the content BACK ON LIVE.

I am not at all trying to shill for other servers, its funny how a genuine question has been turned around to make it look like i am advertising, this is the HC way though right? turn on people who have a preference different to others.

Its obvious how childish you are being by saying how tired i am of the same 5 people on rebirth, i refuse to talk with you or Myrmidon if you are just going to throw insults or backhanded comments about other servers, i didnt come here to advertise, if someone comments on another server and it is incorrect, i have every damn right to engage in a conversation and explain the truths more clearly, if you disagree take it up elsewhere, maybe go bitch about it in another discord group or hell, make a post about it, i dont care, just stop trying to twist a genuine post into something that its not.

Edited by Sylar

Just come out and say what you really want to say...that is, "You want some of Homecoming's playerbase to come play in your sandbox."  Stop with the smoke and mirrors, dude.  You're not fooling anyone. 

So, I'll bite.  What's so glamorous about your server?

1 minute ago, tafilr said:

Just come out and say what you really want to say...that is, "You want some of Homecoming's playerbase to come play in your sandbox."  Stop with the smoke and mirrors, dude.  You're not fooling anyone. 

So, I'll bite.  What's so glamorous about your server?

My server? i dont have a server, i couldnt care less who plays where, my original post was about the content in this server, so stay on topic thanks.

7 minutes ago, Sylar said:

I have completed all content numerous times on numerous characters, back on live, when i ask for more content, i dont mean story wise, i meant in terms of powers and abilities.

Like the completely broken Telekinetic Assault set that still doesn't work right last I checked?  Or the ridiculous changes to VEATs from COXG?  The fact that they thought that Crabs are underperforming and needed to be gutted and redone is laughable and shows that they have no idea what they're doing.  

Instead, here they're working on things in increments.  We may see some new stuff, but it goes through a test server, where people make sure it makes sense instead of being updated and changed based on the whims of people who have no idea what they're doing.

Testing and rolling things out takes time, especially with a volunteer team.  

Edited by Omega-202

6 minutes ago, Sylar said:

its not a ghost town though, it just means that this server (HC) gained the majority of the playerbase, i aim to change that in my videos going forward.

I really don't see what the point is though. Why move to a server with such a low population ? Sure some of the changes can be fun to screw around with but you would need to be really starved for that content to even consider all the hassle that playing on a low population server like that.
On HC at any given time I can find a group to do almost any given piece of content. I am very happy with the pace of new content rolling out on HC, it just shows that the devs are doing it correctly and properly testing before putting any changes out.
I honestly don't see what the benefit would be to fracturing the population of people playing CoH is. This is what happens all the time with private servers. One of them becomes dominant and 99% of the population of people who are interested in playing a 15 year old game gravitate there. Sure the others with 50 max population have some nice ideas but if their ideas were that good and their server was that stable then they would have become the dominant server. Reality points out that most people just want to play CoH how it was when it closed down with a drip feed of new content that has been properly tested and vetted by the community

1 minute ago, Omega-202 said:

Like the completely broken Telekinetic Assault set that still doesn't work right last I checked?  Or the ridiculous changes to VEATs from COXG?  The fact that they thought that Crabs are underperforming and needed to be gutted and redone is laughable and shows that they have no idea what they're doing.  

Instead, here they're working on things in increments.  We may see some new stuff, but it goes through a test server, where people make sure it makes sense instead of being updated and changed based on the whims of people who have no idea what they're doing.

Thats nice, nobody cares though, this post isnt about other servers and just goes to show that your intention in this conversation is just to moan about other servers, if you can write all of this down and post it to me, ill be sure it gets to the right department.