Best Sonic AT / Power Set Combo

Lockpick

Defender dark/sonic is the best.

Dark/ is just ridiculous.  It gives you debuff, healing, and control.  You get a cone fear, a single target hold, and an aoe stun.  Plus stealth for those missions you don't want to grind through.

/sonic gives you damage and -res.  It also gives you a cone sleep.

You do not get great aoe damage, but it gives you everything else.

Haven't played it, but I believe a Sentinel could do what you're looking for. Plus Screech actually does good damage, as opposed to the other sonic blasts

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

I'd go with a sonic/energy blaster, because you sleep a group and then take them on one on one with your rather amazing single target attacks. Boost range is awesome for your cones (I do boost range, cone attack, cone knockback, then cone sleep. That'll leave them half dead and snoring).

Sonic/Ice blaster would have loads of control. Stun, hold, sleep, slow, knockback....

The classic Rad/Sonic Defender is always a nice choice. I've melted Lusca (GM) with a cheap build and absolutely no incarnates, shortly after HC launched.

Sonic/Bio sentinel would be an interesting pick as well. But then again, I've never played Sentinels - I'm just guessing from what I know of both sets separately.

Warning: This post may contain an opinion.