Solo Class/Spec Advice?

ceto555

Hi folks,

I'm looking to create a char simply to solo mission my way to 50, then maybe do the occasional raid/task force and putter around solo the rest of the time. Which of these 2 would be better for that, ice/ice blaster or ice/storm corrupter?

Thanks!

Either will work.  Ice blast has a good bit of control with the -recharge, slows and holds to help both AT's while leveling.  Both have to concern themselves with mez while leveling (which the above will help indirectly).  As the builds mature I think the biggest difference will tend to be the mob size they're best with.  Ice blast is relatively single target, Storm less so.  Storm also has more options for -resist, in particular through Freezing Rain.  I'm personally fond of Storm, but also have severe altitis and probably would end up making both starting with Storm

Personally I think you're going to have a rough ride with either; if I were looking to solo to 50 I'd roll a Stalker, Scrapper or Brute as they're more durable and deal lots of damage.  Playing a Blaster or Corruptor you're going to eat a lot of dirt until your build matures and you get some decent mitigation.  Even with a high end IO build and near soft capped Ranged defense my Fire/EM blaster doesn't solo nearly as well as a melee character.  Can it be done with a squishy character?  Of course.  Will it be MUCH harder?  Also, of course.

My best solo character is, without doubt, my Elec/Shield Stalker.  High defenses, moderate resistances, incredible AOE damage and decent ST damage.

• Like 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

It depends somewhat on what exactly you have in mind for your "solo missioning".  If you doing something like trying to just enjoy all, or most, of the content solo (which almost requires you to stick to +0/x1 difficulty or else you outlevel stuff anyway), even on a blaster you aren't going to be eating a lot of dirt.  Even a bit higher difficulty and all should still be fine even at lower levels.  Now if you want to do the +4/x8 thing, that will take some work and is tougher on blaster/corruptor. 

Bottom line, don't go crazy in cranking up the difficulty and either should do you well.  My dark/device blaster so far is very safe and kills things plenty fast.  Mine would probably be one of the safest most solo friendly blasters you can make, but ice/ice is high on that scale as well.  

• Like 1

I agree with many here.. 

It really depends on your degree of patience and also where you end goal is ? IOs ? SO's ?

Personally I couldn't do either builds until I looked at them in MIDs at level 50 with IOs in place to see where my defenses and endurance were at. 

Then I would look at with SOs to see how the endurance would be with toggles running.. 

EG Hurricane can be endurance heavy.  Solo this is what is going to get you your melee and AOE defense cap. But it will also be pushing mobs out of it as well.  So its an odd conundrum your in with it.  End result you will need range defense cap. 

So is then the next question is Ice /Storm conducive to getting you range defense cap? Probably so.

My thread asking this question would come with 2 builds for people to review. 

On 12/6/2019 at 1:19 PM, ceto555 said:

Hi folks,

I'm looking to create a char simply to solo mission my way to 50, then maybe do the occasional raid/task force and putter around solo the rest of the time. Which of these 2 would be better for that, ice/ice blaster or ice/storm corrupter?

Thanks!

I *think* of the two, the Corruptor has the best potential since Storm is pretty badass. /Ice isn't bad, but story is probably a good bit better. Either way Ice as a primary is extremely strong and you shouldn't have any problems soloing with either build.