Third in a Trio

Rhaethe

Halloo!

Three of us have decided to roam about as a trio of Masterminds.  The husband already has his Demons/Time, and the friend has their Bots/Kinetic.  Now I'm trying to figure out which of the MMs I want to create.

I am not partial to Beasts for some reason, and I'd prefer to have a primary that is different from the others.  I am inclined to say something like Thugs/Traps or Necro/TA ... but I am hoping for something with a good deal of synergy with the other two.

Thoughts?  :)

as a lowbie mastermind, here is my opinion:

With those 2 other masterminds, it may not matter.   I enjoy my thugs/cold (gang war is fun!).    /time and /kin are GREAT all-purpose secondaries, with debuffs, and buffs, but not so much in shields.   

and the reason it may not matter, lots of the powers of kin and time are aoe's, whereas you may benefit a single minion at a time (depending on the buff), and if you are buffing your other teammates ... that is a lot of buffs!

plus, when it comes to masterminds, even small teams, you may have laptop/computer stutter issues (depending if its a gaming or not).   Masterminds are great for fire and forget, or RWZ raids.

(I have mid level bots/time and demons/kin).     Thugs/cold can be fun, thugs/traps (havent played /traps since COH closed down),  will have some great debuffs but those are already covered.  kin and time have heals/regen.    I would go with a shield (resitance or defense) so help keep them alive.   Just a thought

• Like 1

A good deal of synnergy?

Thugs/Traps or Thugs/Cold. Both defensive sets with solid debuffs. Both kinda need aid pool and the resistance uniques to help keep your thugs alive, but with those you can softcap your pets to all positions really easily. Cold blooms earlier than traps does and is more mobile than traps, but traps has stronger debuffs and soft controls and it's defensive power has strong mez protection so long as you keep pets in the forcefield generator bubble. Have a macro to target your bruiser on things alone so you can focus hard targets in bodyguard or keep him attacking something you've got in melee range. Cold is more forgiving of pet scatter but thugs still all need to be in leadership range of the enforcers to have about half of their total positional defense so pet management will always be important. 

I highly prefer traps for personal reasons. It blooms later but if you get it set up with enough recharge you can have your traps up all the time while being tanky as all hell and having room to pick and choose what you want to add to the build. 

With thugs/traps though I highly recommend leadership, aid pool, and either bonfire from heat mastery or electric fences from mu. I main a bots/traps and I spend my time playing team support, actually using aid pool and being useful with it while I drop long cooldown traps that buff and debuff huge areas with strong ass debuffs. Poison trap, after all the math is done, drops an AV's regen from 100% to 33% with the floor being 25% regen minimum. One poison trap about floors their regen, it's absolutely ridiculous, and with thugs you actually have high single target damage so you'll be decent at low levels, strong after 26, and with a proper IO build and good incarnates be absolutely ridiculous at 50. Take burnout for double gang war and then throw up a T4 barrier incarnate not just on your pets but on 20 punks all of whom benefit from overwhelming force procs... That and a lore pet and there's not really much you can't solo. 

Edited by TheSpiritFox
  • Like 1

With Time, +Def unique pet Ios and 3x Maneuvers (14.8 + 2 * 5 + 3 * 4.1) ~ 37% def

Power Boost (earliest available at 41) pretty much soft-caps.

For my recommendation, first and foremost, whatever the heck you want to play.  There's no wrong choice here.

For my own ranking of what I think would be "best" with the two already established characters - I like the idea of something debuff heavy.  Rad, Storm, Poison, Dark, even TA fits the bill here.  Cold, Thermal, Traps, Sonic as well.

Looking at the MM secondaries now, I think I'll boil it down to - not Kin, not Emp, not FF.

For primaries it's definitely "do what you wanna do".  Henchies generally don't have synergy with those from another MM, with the exception of multiple Thugs.  One could say Demons due to a resist aura that goes across other pets but it's not worth basing your choice on.

• Like 1

You've got buffs covered so I'd go a debuff set. With that in mind coupled with the fact the gap in the trio seems to be control I'd go Necro/Dark/Heat.  Lots of lovely debuffs and brings control to the party. 

I'm running a Necro/Nature at the moment but given you have a Kin Natures big buff isn't going to bring a huge amount extra to the party, something that can weaken your enemies more seems a better bet. TA is another option (but much as I liked my Grav/TA on live it does need a buffage pass). 

• Like 1

You have 2 decent heals between the two already with Time and Kin. 

I am thinking what would benefit speed boost the best.  

Also thinking what would benefit the play style. 

Thugs Traps is great.. 

You will be defense capped You will add another heal via triage beacon.. You alone will have enough recharge to have triage beacon out twice for 30 second time period.  

You can go straight up using my tankermind build as you would be able to provoke mobs to keep them off the massive amount of pets and on cave missions where you just might want last pet only or Tier 2 and 3 only.. 

Speed Boost would increase your Triage beacon time EVEN MORE..  

Pretty much all your trap powers would be at double rate if not more.  

But Storm would probably give you triple Lighting Storm.

You would definitely have double lighting storm. If you pickup Burn out you would on occasion have 3 out along with 3 Tornadoes out.  

This with Speed Boost you could probably have 4 out or close to it. 

With this type of build you would go range cap and use hurricane to get your AOE and Melee to defense cap. But I would imagine with all the Maneuvers between 3 masterminds and Thug pets and Time defense numbers you might just go for range cap and just proc away on everything and pick up the aid other , aid self and resuscitate and skip O2 from Storm. 

The advantage of Storm is you its an on the move power where traps is more setting up.. 

I think if everyone is going to IO the builds then I think your Traps setting up with be a bit useless or make you feel a bit behind.. 

But if you wanted to solo Traps is much better for this and you can again Tankermind completely..

With Trip mine you wouldn't even need the pets.. You could turtle up and just drop trip mines to kill mobs. I have done this numerous times when I had a few bad pulls. 

But you need Oppressive gloom as well it helps TONS with the stun. Less mobs hitting breaking your trip mine placement. 

If they remove the interrupt from Trip mine in Traps like they did in Devices.. OMG.. TONS TONS TONS better.. 

It really depends on how much TRIO you are are really going to do here.. 

• Like 1

I’m running a Necro/Nature MM and enjoying it. I can easily run around in melee with all my heals, and the Nature buffs don’t overlap too super hard with the buffs your husband and friend are offering. The Necro pets are solid, mostly melee, and work well with Demons.

Thugs/Storm would also work extremely well. It would give you strong added damage, control, debuffs, and a tank pet. All of those would also work well with your friends if you add in Sudden Acceleration procs.

Oh! And if your /Kin friend doesn’t know, he can put a Sudden Acceleration proc IO into Propel, which makes it a crazy-powerful mitigation aura that knocks enemies down when they’re in melee range. It’s hard on the blueness bar until you get Transference, but sooooo good.