On 12/13/2019 at 6:37 AM, MetaVileTerror said:

Veelectric Boogaloo beat me to it.  Yeah.  I was already pretty non-plussed about the Freedom Phalanx as characters just in the game; they were there as fixtures for /real/ characters as far as I was concerned.  The second run of the comics cemented my feelings on them as pretty heavily negative.  The books, as precursors to the lore were a much better place to explore those Phalanx characters.

There was always something that felt 'off' to me about the comics (as an original subscriber);  I am still weirdly non-plussed by the SSA, Incarnate, and introductory Arcs that are "lore heavy". I'm just not interested in the 'drama' of certain characters. City of Heroes was always supposed to be about 'us' (the players) and the constant stream of content wrapped up around the big NPCs always felt like I was being forced to listen to someone else's retelling of a 'cool' RPG session from several summers ago.

City of Villains (and the Villain take on 'Who Will Die') are very cathartic, as you get to punk all of the various obnoxious Blue-side NPCs. I even found weird satisfaction in taking down Indigo and Crimson as revenge for their painfully long story arcs.

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2019 at 10:26 PM, Hyperstrike said:

I wound up giving my comics collection away.in 2014.
I'd stopped collecting because I finally hit "Endless Crisis And Reboot" fatigue, and the new stuff just wasn't speaking to me anymore.

I needed to get rid of them.  Because, while I'd go through and reread a few every now and then, they were just taking up space.
And no comic shop was going to accept a collection the size of mine (even at 10 cents an issue, I had nearly 30 years worth of comics, collected nearly continuously (save the year I was overseas in 1992) across about several dozen titles, not including special and anniversary editions, we're talking a couple thousand bucks.)

It was roughly similar to my own situation, I had thousands dating from the mid 80's up to the early 2000's when I got the decree that they had to go. Outside of a few with a little value the bulk went for less than 5c per.  35 large boxes (about 30" square) full only brought a couple hundred.  I did have a few gems, New Teen Titans #1 for example, but only about 20 were really worth much.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

On 12/12/2019 at 9:20 AM, Fista said:

Comics? Pssh. Read the novels. Web of Arachnos and Freedom Phalanx.

So my original gaming rig had such slow load times I was able to read Web of Arachnos while waiting to enter missions or change zones!  I could get about a page done during each load screen.😁

• Like 1

• 3 months later