Nice, what did it set you back for the whole collection?

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Between ebay and mycomicshop (US based - link below)

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=city+of+heroes&pubid=&PubRng=

I don't expect it was more than £160 give or take a few quid. A lot of the cost was carriage.

Prices fluctuate.

Whatever it cost, I've been wanting them for years and last year I decided to make the effort. It has been very fun and most satisfying getting to this point.

• Like 1

I have the complete set in my collection as well.  That was one of the coolest 'perks' to the original game subscription.  Getting the Blue King issues were my favorite.  The artist and writer used powers and costume parts right from the game!😀

How do the comics compare to the online story?  Do they match up?

I'm showing a promo comic by Dark Horse, Vol 1 (12 issues) by Blue King Studios and Vol 2 (20 issues) by Top Cow.

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

Comics? Pssh. Read the novels. Web of Arachnos and Freedom Phalanx.

Because there is a city in the Midwest that is continually threatened by a silver backed gorilla and is protected by a man who can run faster than the speed of light.

Veelectric Boogaloo beat me to it.  Yeah.  I was already pretty non-plussed about the Freedom Phalanx as characters just in the game; they were there as fixtures for /real/ characters as far as I was concerned.  The second run of the comics cemented my feelings on them as pretty heavily negative.  The books, as precursors to the lore were a much better place to explore those Phalanx characters.

On the other hand, I'm still bothered, to this day, that the title for the Vahzilok chapter included "Undead" . . . Cadavers ain't undead, gorddamnit!  They're just straight-up dead, with animatronic cybernetics!  *shakes a fist*

Guess I should've hung onto mine, I had the series back when it came out.  Then I got more domestic aggro about all the boxes of comics in the basement so they all had to go... for way too little $

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

Guess I should've hung onto mine, I had the series back when it came out.  Then I got more domestic aggro about all the boxes of comics in the basement so they all had to go... for way too little $

I wound up giving my comics collection away.in 2014.
I'd stopped collecting because I finally hit "Endless Crisis And Reboot" fatigue, and the new stuff just wasn't speaking to me anymore.

I needed to get rid of them.  Because, while I'd go through and reread a few every now and then, they were just taking up space.
And no comic shop was going to accept a collection the size of mine (even at 10 cents an issue, I had nearly 30 years worth of comics, collected nearly continuously (save the year I was overseas in 1992) across about several dozen titles, not including special and anniversary editions, we're talking a couple thousand bucks.)

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

On 12/12/2019 at 12:58 AM, Display Name said:

How do the comics compare to the online story?  Do they match up?

I'm showing a promo comic by Dark Horse, Vol 1 (12 issues) by Blue King Studios and Vol 2 (20 issues) by Top Cow.

The earliest comics actually influenced certain parts of the game that were added later.  If you want to know the backstory to Ajax and War Witch, it's in there.  The Phalanx ones gave a bit more details to the characters, and certain additions to the game came on the heels of information in the comics.  It's been a decade since I read them, but if I remember right, the reason Posi doesn't currently wear a helmet constantly in game, but did previously, is addressed in the comics.  Certain relationships were fleshed out, too.  So yeah, they mostly match up, at least to the release of the game that was available at the time of the comic's issuing.

• Like 1