Ice Melee Frost Range

Riverdusk

Had a question about Frost.  I noticed you can't directly slot it for range, but if you use a set IO that has range (like positron blast's dam/range IO), it seems to increase it.  Does that also work for incarnate alpha slots that increase range (like Intuition?).

Guess I could test it on Pineapple if no one knows off hand...

Did some testing using RWZ practice dummies and can confirm IO's (and I'd assume Hami-O's) work, unfortunately using an alpha slot that has a range enhancement did NOT work.  That's a shame, was having dreams of getting a frost with an 18 or so foot range. 😄

• Like 1

1954242717_froststalkerslottingnohami.thumb.png.cee4492824d10292460fb10e83a2188a.png
Yeah... but that wouldn't explain why I get the same results when I remove one of the hami's and replaced it with a dmg/range Posi blast.
Also getting the same result when I pull the other hami and replace with a range/slow Pacing of the Turtle. The slow appears under buff/debuff but the range does not.

Edited by Doomrider

Pay attention to the Allowed Enhancements in the tooltip.  Conspicuous by its absence is Range enhancements.  What it does list as enhancements are:

• Slow
  • Endurance reduction
  • Recharge reduction
  • Damage
  • Accuracy

What this means is that although you can get multi-mod enhancements (HOs and set IOs) with Range as a component ... but even with that component in the enhancement(s) the Range will NOT be increased by enhancement.  The power is coded to NOT be modified by Range enhancements.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

2 hours ago, Doomrider said:

Yeah... but that wouldn't explain why I get the same results when I remove one of the hami's and replaced it with a dmg/range Posi blast.
Also getting the same result when I pull the other hami and replace with a range/slow Pacing of the Turtle. The slow appears under buff/debuff but the range does not.

You won't see it on the tooltip, you need to go to "Show Detailed Info"  Notice how my frost now says 12.35 ft under Power Range.  I have the posi and a detonation Damage/Range slotted.  When using Alpha incarnate that number did not change.  I did not test with Hami-O's.  I also confirmed as I said using RWZ test dummies by getting to a range where it would give me the "out of range message" and then put in a Posi Dmg/Rng IO and it then letting me fire the power (and vice versa, I tested it several times to make sure).  Did that on test server of course to not waste IO's, unslotters so that I could test it several times.  Edit:  I also tested the alpha Intuition the same way several times and it did NOT improve the range.

Also note that things like Widow's Mind Link work the same way.  You can't slot for recharge directly, but a set IO will let you reduce its recharge, such as a Def/Recharge IO.  So I know for a fact this is not a unique situation.  That one will also not show on the tooltip, it will only show the reduced recharge on the "show info" screen.

Another Edit:  Checking the character builder I have it appears every other AT that has ice melee CAN directly slot their frost for range, so stalkers not being able to do so seems like a bug in itself.

20191223223743_1.thumb.jpg.ba56c2ae96cea50e6d3dd3780667b7aa.jpg

Edited by Riverdusk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and btw what is up with Ice Patch saying it takes Universal damage and Stalker ATO sets when it actually doesn't?  Not that universal damage would even make sense, but being able to throw some Stalker ATO's in there could be useful.  Weird display bug that one is.