QOL - Quitting to Character Select

Vorlonagent

Hadn't thought about that, mostly since I generally move a character I'm playing a lot to the first page.  I can't see any downside to that except that since your character order is stored on your computer and not on the server it might be tricky to make the game remember that setting.

We do have an all volunteer Dev team now and they aren't getting paid for anything.  While I have no problem with this suggestion there's lots of stuff higher up on the list.  If there's an easy way to make it happen, possibly with a client side plugin that can parse the character list and order it by access time then maybe some of the code boffins here can come up with a solution.  The Devs are busy with the server side stuff, maybe someone else can take a stab at your problem.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Call Me Awesome said:

Hadn't thought about that, mostly since I generally move a character I'm playing a lot to the first page.  I can't see any downside to that except that since your character order is stored on your computer and not on the server it might be tricky to make the game remember that setting.

We do have an all volunteer Dev team now and they aren't getting paid for anything.  While I have no problem with this suggestion there's lots of stuff higher up on the list.  If there's an easy way to make it happen, possibly with a client side plugin that can parse the character list and order it by access time then maybe some of the code boffins here can come up with a solution.  The Devs are busy with the server side stuff, maybe someone else can take a stab at your problem.

Considering how the character order works, I suspect there would as you say, need to be a significant rewrite to both the client and server to do this

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

12 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

Considering how the character order works, I suspect there would as you say, need to be a significant rewrite to both the client and server to do this

Likely you're right.  Depending on how the client side works it may be possible to have a plugin to handle this, kind of like how Vidiotmaps and Herostats work now.  Or maybe I'm just talking nonsense... certainly wouldn't be the first time. 😉

It occurs to me that the server reads the character list order file on your computer when you log in so maybe there's a way a third party app could rewrite it when you pick a character so it has them in a "last character played" order.  I'm no programmer of anything much less of this game but since the file is on your hard drive and the server uses it for the character order it might be possible.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Call Me Awesome said:

Likely you're right.  Depending on how the client side works it may be possible to have a plugin to handle this, kind of like how Vidiotmaps and Herostats work now.  Or maybe I'm just talking nonsense... certainly wouldn't be the first time. 😉

It occurs to me that the server reads the character list order file on your computer when you log in so maybe there's a way a third party app could rewrite it when you pick a character so it has them in a "last character played" order.  I'm no programmer of anything much less of this game but since the file is on your hard drive and the server uses it for the character order it might be possible.

it may actually all live client side, there is no need for the client to send the character order to the server, just to tell it which character you have selected, in which case a plug in for the client may do the job,  I've not looked at the source, so this is speculation, it IS however how i'd make it work, and I can't think of a single reason for the client to send the order list to the server, so it may actually be something that can be done as a plug-in

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

11 minutes ago, ninja surprise said:

I was hoping for a quit button in the character creator, instead of having to hit the back 

button all the way back out.

CTR+ALT+DEL?

Spoiler

1 hour ago, boggo2300 said:

it may actually all live client side, there is no need for the client to send the character order to the server, just to tell it which character you have selected, in which case a plug in for the client may do the job,  I've not looked at the source, so this is speculation, it IS however how i'd make it work, and I can't think of a single reason for the client to send the order list to the server, so it may actually be something that can be done as a plug-in

I was hoping for a purely client-side solution.  If you have to exchange data with the server, it's not worth the effort and quality control to make it work.

40 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

I was hoping for a purely client-side solution.  If you have to exchange data with the server, it's not worth the effort and quality control to make it work.

I've no idea, it may well be client side.  The file that keeps track of the character order is certainly client side so it may all be that way.

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Call Me Awesome said:

I've no idea, it may well be client side.  The file that keeps track of the character order is certainly client side so it may all be that way.

It would be bad programming, and burning bandwidth unnecessarily to tie it back to the server, so going by how the cryptic engine was written, I fear it does talk to the server (but it REALLY shouldn't)

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Actually, if my understanding of the code is adequate, this wouldn't be that difficult; it could be handled with a client-side TXT file or registry call function.  Basically, add a function to the "Select Character" button which writes to that file a simple value ranging from 0 to 100.  0 means:  Ignore, and the other values translate to which page to display the next time the Character Screen is displayed.  The real challenge is modifying the GUI to have a checkbox for this.  Easier would be to make it a slash command in the executable that toggles between Ignoring and setting the Last Page Used number.

7 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

I was hoping for a quit button in the character creator, instead of having to hit the back 

button all the way back out.

You mean close the program? Alt+F4, as previously mentioned, or (if you're in windowed mode) click the X in the corner.

Or do you mean leave the character creator and go back to the character select screen? Click the "Origin" tab at the top, and then click "Back" once. The section tabs at the top let you freely flip between sections of the character creator, with a couple caveats (must pick powers from both primary and secondary before going to Custom screen, for example).

On 12/30/2019 at 2:59 AM, Roderick said:

Or do you mean leave the character creator and go back to the character select screen? Click the "Origin" tab at the top, and then click "Back" once. The section tabs at the top let you freely flip between sections of the character creator, with a couple caveats (must pick powers from both primary and secondary before going to Custom screen, for example).

Yes, make this faster.  Like, just a "Quit Creator" button rather than having to click all over the screen.

Maybe it's something I inflict on myself with all this altitis but I can't quit!