Strong vs. Psychic?

J-Naught

Building a psychic themed character. I want to use Titan Weapon, because it's fun and I don't want to gum robots helplessly again, but that leaves defensive sets. Being a psychic themed character, I don't want a Psychic damage hole. I can deal with having a damage hole somewhere, just as long as turning the corner to see a mass of psychic damage enemies makes me go "Oh good, my defenses are GREAT against THESE. Stand back, brickyman, I've got this and I don't want you getting your brain melted."

What are some good solid powersets to achieve that?

52 minutes ago, J-Naught said:

Building a psychic themed character. I want to use Titan Weapon, because it's fun and I don't want to gum robots helplessly again, but that leaves defensive sets. Being a psychic themed character, I don't want a Psychic damage hole. I can deal with having a damage hole somewhere, just as long as turning the corner to see a mass of psychic damage enemies makes me go "Oh good, my defenses are GREAT against THESE. Stand back, brickyman, I've got this and I don't want you getting your brain melted."

What are some good solid powersets to achieve that?

Willpower (Almost 33% Resist but also has Psi Defense).  Ninjitsu (56%+ with Double Stacked mez protection and slotted out Passive Resist All power, so more likely a 53% with the +3% Defense IO slotted in it).  Dark Armor (59% and a bit of Psi Defense with the Cloak power).  Electric Armor (41% here).  Radiation Armor (looks to be the weakest at around at just under 18% so I'd go meh with it).  Lastly, Regeneration with just under 15%).

Could easily make any of these work for Psi Armor in concept.  That Dark effect or Electric effect?  Just how the psi energy manifests.

Dark Armor with Titan Weapon, I have one, not at 50, but IOed along the way.  I'd suggest grabbing some certain IO's before hand if you want to make this one work.  I grabbed the +REC Uniques, +END Performance Shifter Proc, and the +END Proc for Dark Regeneration.

Willpower allows you to go clickless.  Haven't made one with HC, but that's because I mained it during live.  I really didn't fear Psi damage with it.

Electric I hear goes awesome with Titan Weapon and it handles the end issues TW has as well.

Ninjitsu, another I haven't gotten to 50 w/ TW yet, but I find it's +END power covers you nicely, but you have to keep an eye on your end more than other abilities.

If it was me, I'd go with one of those four.

On 1/1/2020 at 10:52 AM, BrandX said:

... Ninjitsu (56%+ with Double Stacked mez protection and slotted out Passive Resist All power, so more likely a 53% with the +3% Defense IO slotted in it).  ...

You can actually slot Ribosomes in Kuji-In Rin to enhance the psi resistance. Two +2 Ribosomes plus your slotted Bo Ryaku will put a scrapper at the psi resist cap if you can double stack Kuji-In Rin (not super hard).

Side note on that, it's also possible to be at the toxic res cap with high recharge and the Shield Wall or set bonuses if you use Kuji-In Sha every time it's on cooldown. Nin covers both the damage types you are likely to find without positional tags. If it had Caltrops on scrapper I'd be all over it.

2 hours ago, Microcosm said:

You can actually slot Ribosomes in Kuji-In Rin to enhance the psi resistance. Two +2 Ribosomes plus your slotted Bo Ryaku will put a scrapper at the psi resist cap if you can double stack Kuji-In Rin (not super hard).

Side note on that, it's also possible to be at the toxic res cap with high recharge and the Shield Wall or set bonuses if you use Kuji-In Sha every time it's on cooldown. Nin covers both the damage types you are likely to find without positional tags. If it had Caltrops on scrapper I'd be all over it.

That's nice to know 🙂

Could get caltrops from the epic pool.

37 minutes ago, BrandX said:

That's nice to know 🙂

Could get caltrops from the epic pool.

I honestly forgot about that, though it's a hard sell for me cause that means giving up either Waterspout/Hibernate or a snipe... Talking about Scrapper nin makes me want to start a petition to remove Smoke Flash from Stalker /nin in favor of getting Seishinteki Kyoyo or Bo Ryaku. It's an extremely useless power to begin with, and to add insult to injury there's a repurchasable temp power that does the same exact thing.

7 hours ago, Microcosm said:

I honestly forgot about that, though it's a hard sell for me cause that means giving up either Waterspout/Hibernate or a snipe... Talking about Scrapper nin makes me want to start a petition to remove Smoke Flash from Stalker /nin in favor of getting Seishinteki Kyoyo or Bo Ryaku. It's an extremely useless power to begin with, and to add insult to injury there's a repurchasable temp power that does the same exact thing.

Agreed.  Though, if I went the Bo Ryaku, I'd say add in the +Speed/Jump from Shinobi-Iri.

Dark armor is a power house against psychic 

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

7 hours ago, Microcosm said:

This was honestly my second biggest complaint about the Ninjitsu port (the first was my - admittedly unpopular - belief that some powersets should remain unique to some ATs, and it fits Stalkers more thematically than any other AT). If you're going to remove useless powers and replace them with not only good ones, but good auto powers that don't require any thought or maintenance and plug the most-complained about hole in the set, do it for all of the versions.

2 hours ago, siolfir said:

This was honestly my second biggest complaint about the Ninjitsu port (the first was my - admittedly unpopular - belief that some powersets should remain unique to some ATs, and it fits Stalkers more thematically than any other AT). If you're going to remove useless powers and replace them with not only good ones, but good auto powers that don't require any thought or maintenance and plug the most-complained about hole in the set, do it for all of the versions.

The thinking is likely one of "People who've made stalkers, like the power."

So, whether the majority of us think it's a waste, they may not want to change the set.

However, CoH Live did have precedence, seeing as how they changed EA and Electric Armor.

12 hours ago, BrandX said:

The thinking is likely one of "People who've made stalkers, like the power."

So, whether the majority of us think it's a waste, they may not want to change the set.

However, CoH Live did have precedence, seeing as how they changed EA and Electric Armor.

Ya, I'm normally of the same opinion of not removing a power because someone out there may actually like it and have found a use for it that I just haven't. But since in this case there is a highly available temp power that is a carbon copy of it and it's not even something people could put set bonuses in, I say toss it. This isn't new to homecoming anyway; I remember that temp power being around on live as well and always warning people about it when I saw smoke flash in a build as it's the most wasted power pick possible.