Dark / Dark - am I crazy for black hole?

honoroit

Am I crazy for wanting black hole?

spacer.png

• Does it toggle off like dim shift in grav?

It's that of the single target immob.  I don't give a tinkers toss about dmg on this guy, all my incarnates will be support / enh -tohit and things.

black hole... group going to wipe... you can see it... with dark dark everything is slowed down incoming dmg wise... but then the insurmountable... that blaster on hover backing up into a new mob. wave after wave at that crazy prison place. unexpected... events!

so... black hole?  anyone tried it?

or the boring old single target immob.  or rune of protection (no).

Intangibility is generally frowned on because its confusing to team mates, who end up blowing their cooldowns on enemies they can't affect. Then they get mad at you.

You could take it for use for solo, but there's probably better powers out there.

I can picture a game where Intangible effects are more valued, but that game is Dungeons and Dragons (where running away is often a good option) and not CoX (where every fight is a beat down and there are no dangerous, low reward enemies who the best strategy is to avoid entirely).

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

Intangibility is generally frowned on because its confusing to team mates, who end up blowing their cooldowns on enemies they can't affect. Then they get mad at you.

You could take it for use for solo, but there's probably better powers out there.

I can picture a game where Intangible effects are more valued, but that game is Dungeons and Dragons (where running away is often a good option) and not CoX (where every fight is a beat down and there are no dangerous, low reward enemies who the best strategy is to avoid entirely).

I don't know why they don't do with it the way they did with the Gravity sister power...make it to where they phase, but if you enter the area, you are phased with them and can attack them again.

That's like ordering a 'tons of fun' burger, with nothing on it.

No, the others... they are there in my service. It was and is.

Black hole is happening. So is the intang incarnate. They will learn to love it.

Like vegetables. 

tumblr_nd390q7Pm51t44k8ro1_500.png.52d97ab54bb20a54ca7017c0dc32daa5.png

41 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I don't know why they don't do with it the way they did with the Gravity sister power...make it to where they phase, but if you enter the area, you are phased with them and can attack them again.

Gravity only ended up with its revised power after almost a decade with the original version, which was basically identical to Dark's version. Dark just never came up for review again. Well, I take that back. Actually it did--when it got ported to Controllers. That's when they removed the cone Fear and added Fade and Soul Absorption. I guess they didn't see a need to revise Black Hole then.

I do wonder how Black Hole interacts with Dimension Shift. I assume if you are standing inside a shift, you can blast anything outside the Shift area that has been hit with Black Hole.

its terrible by comparison with dim shift. just terrible.

the effect is not even visible for more than a few seconds, and its a flat ground sphere, almost completely obscured by tar patch.

took single target immob and am enjoying a 1,2 punchy hold/immob on runners / boss.

very disappointed with black hole, junk tier power in an otherwise awesome set!

I do think the single target was a good choice for TC though, controller immobilizes are mag 4 out of the box so unless you're fighting an immobilize resisting mob (like Vahzilok) it's a good way to instantly have containment even on a boss, and if you don't care about damage it's still good to root them in place so they can't run away with your anchor.

The thing about Dimension Shift too is if a teammate is in trouble, say like that time on Hess I got surrounded by melee mobs, and Dimension Shift is tossed on them, what happens is that you effectively lock your teammate in a penalty box WITH THE HOSTILES. It actually killed my character faster because the ranged damage (and holds!) that were coming from outside the dimension shift were blocked.  In that situation Black Hole would have been better because my character wouldn't have been phased along with the hostiles and I could have just run away and regrouped. I think being able to terminate the phase early was a desirable update but making it a zone which can be entered is not working as intended. If you were to phase a group that was new and the tank ran in even that wouldn't be great, the tank couldn't benefit from heals and support.

What would actually work better is if these powers affected THE TEAM for like 10 seconds, letting people run away or at least regroup, toggle back up, cast a heal, have an alpha strike not affect them, and in general just have a moment to get ready to resume fighting.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I see dim shift most useful when combined with its physics cousin wormhole - you mobs, into the sphere with you. 

Phase shift team would be very nice indeed. 

As is, I'm happy with heart of darkness and howling twilight, it seems to bring breathing room. 

In an ideal world black hole might spawn inward repel at its circumference, and immob at its center that applies the thingy you can trigger impact with. 

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 4:59 PM, honoroit said:

In an ideal world black hole might spawn inward repel at its circumference, and immob at its center that applies the thingy you can trigger impact with. 

Well it would be interesting to make black hole a little bit like Wormhole without the repositioning element. When you cast Wormhole on a group it doesn't actually suck the mobs together at first, but it sort of looks like that because of how the animation plays out, especially since when they come out of the teleport they explode out of a gathered ball. However, if you have a knockback to knockdown converter in place they land in a pile so if you were to wormhole a group IN PLACE it would effectively just suck them together into a clump and dump them there, stunned.

If Black Hole did something like teleported every mob within 20' of the target (maybe make it into a ground target power?) into a pile in the center and applied a 5-ish second phase shift instead of wormhole's stun, and then still had an immobilize on top of that (it's base 30 seconds immobilize from the phase shift now) that would be actually really helpful. Instant clump for burning, 5 second window where once they stand up if they try to shoot you it doesn't work, and then they're pinned there ready to be hit with Tar Patch and other evilness. The five second window would also be perfect for someone who wants to run into the pile and use their nuke - you'd just need to make sure the phase graphic was clear enough (I've always thought the mobs should have a "dark glow" not be transparent to mark this sort of thing).

• Like 1

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!