Hide "First Appearance" date in description

I'd like the option to remove or hide the date at which I first created my character from my description. No particular reason I just don't like having this line in my otherwise empty character description, I'd rather have people inspecting me go directly to my powers tab. When I played on live servers when you didn't have a description you didn't have a tab saying when you started playing your character, people just saw your powers. Granted I did stop playing a while before the servers went down so maybe it was added afterwards.

Now if there already is an option to do just that then I missed it and I would very much like to know where it is lol.

• Like 1

Yeah it annoys me to have the only thing in my bio be a meaningless date. Like I might have played the character for a while, wanted to change powers and then sat on it for a while then started fresh at a later date. It's not my character's "birthday", it doesn't even correspond to my playtime.

Just having the option to hide it from my bio would be great. I understand some people might like to keep it on display to show that they were among the first characters to be created when the servers went up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cervantes88 said:

Yeah it annoys me to have the only thing in my bio be a meaningless date. Like I might have played the character for a while, wanted to change powers and then sat on it for a while then started fresh at a later date. It's not my character's "birthday", it doesn't even correspond to my playtime.

Just having the option to hide it from my bio would be great. I understand some people might like to keep it on display to show that they were among the first characters to be created when the servers went up.

It dates from f2p and was designed to partially replace vetrans stuff 

• Thanks 2

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

12 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

It dates from f2p and was designed to partially replace vetrans stuff 

I see, I must have stopped playing before it was implemented then.

Well if one of our benevolent devs would take the time to look into removing it, or maybe making an option to display it or not, I for one would greatly appreciate it. It's nothing urgent but it would make me feel better not to have an arbitrary date displayed in my character bio regardless of if I make one or not.

Probably easier to code so it shows on the bottom of the powers tab and under the phone book / encyclopedia set of  IO bonuses.  Not even sure they fudge the ID anyway, now it might be blank tab anyway with multiple tabs in the ID and the date is coded on there regardless; I remember when it was just bio and powers...with no bio it was just the powers.  The PVP tab is useless anyway, never existed when I started, PvP was kinda a bindary joke, and the younger generation seems to be obsessed with stats just for ego stroking...god there is so many assholes in competitive games if you don't measure up to "their own" standards, like I give a shit about "e-sport is a sport but is a joke" anyway.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

Well precisely because it's the only thing that appears in my bio and the first thing people see about my character. I just wish i could edit it out, it's no big deal, just annoying. I'm sure it's not too hard to make it a part of the editable description instead of a fixed element of the description tab.

But I don't know anything about how games are made so there's that 😛

I mean, just getting rid of the date info would be the most efficient thing for the people who don't want it, but there are people who do want it.

So, proposed compromise (which is less likely to be implemented, but I just want to gauge people's feelings on it):
Each player gets two new options:  First Tab to Open and First Tab to Show

First Tab to Open:
- Target's Choice (Default):  consults the Default Tab to Show of the Target

- Description (including First Appearance)

- Powers

- Alignment

- Badges

- PvP

- Arena

First Tab to Show:

- Description (Default) (including First Appearance)

- Powers

- Alignment

- Badges

- PvP

- Arena (honestly, why are PvP and Arena separate tabs?)

First Tab to Open supersedes First Tab to Show, naturally, but since the Default for First Tab to Open checks First Tab to Show, for most players there would be absolutely no change at all compared to what's currently happening.  For the players who care, though, they can change the default Tab they Show, and most other players will see that Tab first.  And then those players who really want to see a particular Tab first get their choice.

So, yeah.  Complex and probably not worth the time of such a small development team . . . but _if_ this came to pass, would any of you be upset with such a compromise?

29 minutes ago, Cervantes88 said:

That's a lot of effort. Isn't it much simpler to make the "First Appearance : blahblah" line a part of the editable description by default so you can erase it if you want when you create your character or afterwards ?

I think that might end up being harder actually, allowing an option to hide it is likely to be the simplest way to deal with it

• Like 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

15 minutes ago, Cervantes88 said:

Really ? Well I'll take that too. Like I said it's not a huge deal but it does bug me.

well as it was a late addition removing it completely is probably easiest, but as there are people that like it, making it hide-able is probably best and not much more complex

• Like 2

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Though I'll say this, in conclusion(?):

If this is about people judging you, or being concerned that they will?

People will always judge you.  It's inescapable.  If not this, something else - probably something equally superficial.  Very few of the people you meet in life will ever know or think of you beyond first impressions.

Find a way to live with this... or don't.

On 1/5/2020 at 3:07 AM, boggo2300 said:

well as it was a late addition removing it completely is probably easiest, but as there are people that like it, making it hide-able is probably best and not much more complex

There is no way that people like it as much as I think its dumb.

Therefore.  Thread over. 

1 minute ago, Haijinx said:

Perhaps not.  But it exceeds the threshold of dumb.

By a lot. 

I honestly never notice it, if it comes up when I do an info, I just close the window since the toon in question has no bio

It certainly doesn't even have the minuscule usefulness it had on live here, since every character is created in "Issue 25" and the only real variable is the date

Still some like it, and it would be churlish to take it from them, when it could just be hidden

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!