Safe Mode Discontinuation Support - Mac OS X

Jimmy

Lydimaster, I am having the same issues with OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 as well.

I suspect Island Rum uses a different process for us, and that's why Choake's fix doesn't apply to El Capitan or earlier.

In an older thread Manga says:

"If you leave both of those (CoH.app and City of Heroes app) out of Applications, Island Rum will ask you to install a Game Client.  It will install Wine if you're using macOS > 10.11, or Wineskin if you're using other macOS.  The Wine install will be in a "wine" folder inside /Applications/coh, and Wineskin will be an app called "CoH.app" in Applications."

When I clear everything and re-run Island Rum, it creates both CoH.app and an empty folder named "coh" in /Applications. The CoH.app has contents in it's package but the coh folder has nothing. This makes me think it's using Wineskin instead of Wine. So updating Wine doesn't solve our issues.

Edited by Garble

2 hours ago, Garble said:

Lydimaster, I am having the same issues with OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 as well.

I suspect Island Rum uses a different process for us, and that's why Choake's fix doesn't apply to El Capitan or earlier.

In an older thread Manga says:

"If you leave both of those (CoH.app and City of Heroes app) out of Applications, Island Rum will ask you to install a Game Client.  It will install Wine if you're using macOS > 10.11, or Wineskin if you're using other macOS.  The Wine install will be in a "wine" folder inside /Applications/coh, and Wineskin will be an app called "CoH.app" in Applications."

When I clear everything and re-run Island Rum, it creates both CoH.app and an empty folder named "coh" in /Applications. The CoH.app has contents in it's package but the coh folder has nothing. This makes me think it's using Wineskin instead of Wine. So updating Wine doesn't solve our issues.

Well, having done it twice yesterday, I can confirm that Island Rum is indeed downloading Wineskin instead of Wine. Have you found any work-arounds?

So, I just attempted @choakefile to get everything setup. Nothing seemed to happen. After I put Island Rum into my Applications folder, and entered the code in the Terminal, nothing happened (Based off the code looks like it's installing homebrew?).

Opened Island Rum and it's downloading the game client now, but I am assuming it won't launch per usual. I will comment, that last time I tried this I seemed to have the same thing happening as @Lydimaster & @Garble.

I am running Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.6

Any help would be appreciated

Well, apparently something worked this time on the 3rd try. I'm able to run 64-bit now no problems... Will update if anything changes.

Edited by Kobracakes
  • Like 2

On 1/24/2020 at 10:21 AM, Lydimaster said:

Well, having done it twice yesterday, I can confirm that Island Rum is indeed downloading Wineskin instead of Wine. Have you found any work-arounds?

Number 6 has a work around to run 32-Bit by tricking Island Rum into thinking it's running Safe Mode. But I think that means Cider is running 24-Bit, and Cider is what they're trying to get away from.

Edited by Garble
Adding link

I apologize I haven't had time to reply or look over your messages.. School has been CRAZY!!! I'll get to them tonight!! I'm so glad You're getting it sorted, it's been INCREDIBLE running at 64bit... One small step, I didn't need to do it on my fresh install of High Sierra, is perhaps Ruby... If so I can attach a walkthrough on how to install Ruby with Homebrew if needed..

Good Hunting all!!

Cho 

Edited by choake
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 6:18 PM, Kobracakes said:

So, I just attempted @choakefile to get everything setup. Nothing seemed to happen. After I put Island Rum into my Applications folder, and entered the code in the Terminal, nothing happened (Based off the code looks like it's installing homebrew?).

Opened Island Rum and it's downloading the game client now, but I am assuming it won't launch per usual. I will comment, that last time I tried this I seemed to have the same thing happening as @Lydimaster & @Garble.

I am running Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.6

Any help would be appreciated

Well, apparently something worked this time on the 3rd try. I'm able to run 64-bit now no problems... Will update if anything changes.

Here's another write up I made, it might clarify something I missed, that was my first Attempt at a HowTo Guide, I usually walk someone step by step one on one/voice... 

It's frustrating getting this to work out, I feel ya on that, So I'll type this up as if I've got it installed, am uninstalling it, making sure the pieces that are left behind get erased as well(some manual bits) and then how to reinstall and setup from scratch.. I'll be as detailed and concise as I can, I'll assume you have the new IslandRum they posted on the forums, and the other software I'm going to be referring too, Here's a link to my GoogleDrive with all the software and added bonuses in my data file Vidiotmap patch and such..  Especially since here I can make sure the coding formats properly, word documents aren't so great for that...  Thanks for your time, and reading this lengthy walkthrough...

FIRST Open Terminal(in finder CMD+Shift+U or Applications/Utitlites)

sudo spctl --master-disable

This disables a sometimes troublesome feature called GateKeeper, it has it's benefits, blocking unwanted "unknown" developers, but here it gets in the way...

If you are concerned with anything in your global file, this is when you'd copy it out, and save for later...   

Builds
Costumes
data
PowerCust
keybinds.txt
options.txt
resume_info.txt

Now it's time to uninstall Rum and City of heroes... 

Open App Cleaner, Select Island Rum... Look to the Bottom right Corner Remove Service Files

**Repeat the same for City of Heroes

Now comes the sort of technical aspect, but it's super easy, just appears complicated and foreign... Most of this is going to take place in terminal, with one final part in Finder..

In Terminal, Run 

Brew uninstall Wine

Brew uninstall Winetricks

brew rm wine && brew rm $(join <(brew leaves) <(brew deps wine))

That one is just to be EXTRA deep cleaning

Typically there are/can be remnants of Folders left behind, even after all that.. so now We're going to clear them out, optional but highly recommended.. 

Only manual erase part you have to do.. it won't destroy your computer, or break it 😛

From Finder, in the Menu bar, Click GO , scroll down and Select Go To Folder

Enter Each one seperately and hit enter, you're looking for ANYTIHING wine

~Library/Caches,
~/Library/Preferences,
~/Library/ApplicationSupport,
~/Library/LaunchAgents,
~/Library/LaunchDaemons,
~/Library/PreferencePanes,
~/Library/StartupItems

If you find anything, send it to the trash and empty it... One last command to get everything scrubbed and fresh for Stability... (the split command earlier, I apologize)

ruby -e “$(curl -fsSL https:// raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/ master/uninstall)”

Then comes the fun part of rebuilding...

In Applications, create and Empty Folder CoH(if you moved the folder earlier data etc, you can place them back into this Folder before we begin install) Also unzip the new IslandRum, and Place in Applications.

Install XQuartzeven though it says log off, restart instead, we've been modifying a Lot..

Once again Open Terminal, and copy these codes, so everything gets sorted properly..

Thankfully most of this is done with Installers now, but we're lucky and get to do it this way lol...

xcode-select --/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)”

Now to open and the Wine Apps, 

Wine Stable 4.0.3

WineBottlerCombo_1.8.6

YAY, only a few more lines of code for Terminal.... Each one by one.

sudo ln -s /opt/X11 /usr/X11
brew install Caskroom/cask/xquartz
brew install --only-dependencies --devel wine
brew install Caskroom/cask/xquartz

After ALLLLLL of this, now you can Open up Island Rum, we will be routing it into the CoH folder made in Applications... We need it to start the download process into that folder, so when we use Wine, it has something to Build on, Specifically CityOfHeroes.exe

Untitled-1.png.ade76393eb5e5ea0a36ffc8b8e994187.png

I chose to let the entire countdown complete, something around 132files...

NOW, after seeing CityOfHeroes.exe(it's not ABSOLUTE to wait like I did) is the time to run Wine Stable and type in wine cityofheroes.exe

1308441321_WineStable.png.ac44b7ca1abebd08a871c4787c755d51.png

With IslandRum, AND CoH folder with CityofHeroes.exe inside, this program will be able to locate it, and if everything lined up correctly, some prompts will appear, and something similar to this should occur...

1327138461_ScreenShot2020-01-10at1_18_56AM.thumb.png.958a5c44ed2aa9e4ac97cd890af467d4.png

Seems like a lot, and daunting, but just one step at a time, and it'll work... When you see how Immaculate 64bit looks, you will be BLOW AWAY... 

Thanks for reading my miniBook..

-Cho

File1.png

file2.png

• Like 1

I just wanted to post about a solution to 64 bit issues in Island Rum with Catalina. Not one I would recommend to everyone, but something to try as a very last resort.

A bit of explanation first:

So my issue had been after @Manga had updated Island Rum to run with a private wine copy, I could never get it to actually launch anything. I had to run it under the wineskin client which had issues launching in anything other than Safe Mode. I had tried everything ever listed on any of these forums, and it still would only work in Safe Mode. I've been hammering at on and off all month after updating to Catalina, but I'm not really even a power user, much less a  programmer, so I wasn't sure exactly what was going wrong.

But poking around in some of the files used for launching, I found in a few them it kept pointing to directories that didn't exist on my computer to run the game. I tried manually updating them, but that didn't seem to work. I'm not sure if Island Rum corrected it or otherwise, but essentially this is what the problem was:

The launching instructions Island Rum was using to try to run Wine were trying to reference the Home directory using my User ID. But the Mac I use was not originally mine, so the home directory was under a different name than my user name. Since the Home directory is not re-nameable, and trying to edit the launching files wasn't working for me. @Manga had said he had it working on a Catalina machine previously when he first updated, so I decided it might be best to reset everything back to factory specs under the new OS.

So I wiped the hard drive, and reinstalled the OS. I had no essential files or programs that could not be reinstalled, so it was mostly just an inconvenience of a few hours to reset the Mac back to factory fresh settings, which causes the Home directory to be recreated under the new owner's user ID. And before anyone asks, yes, I was running as an administrator on the Mac previously, but MacOs lets you change the User Name and User ID without actually doing a wipe of the hard drive. The Mac was originally another family member's, and they didn't leave any personal files on the computer, so I felt no need to wipe it previously.

After the drive was wiped and Catalina reinstalled, I installed Island Rum and downloaded the game, and everything launches perfectly now. So, @Manga, something to consider in the future is possibly altering the pathing/scripts Island Rum uses to create the launching files. Or if a power user/ programmer can look into ways to work around without wiping the hard drive for those who would not be able to do so if the Home directory doesn't match the User.

Takehai

Global Handle @Night.Fyre

Confirmed Alt-oholic....

On 2/5/2020 at 2:09 AM, Takehai said:

So, @Manga, something to consider in the future is possibly altering the pathing/scripts Island Rum uses to create the launching files. Or if a power user/ programmer can look into ways to work around without wiping the hard drive for those who would not be able to do so if the Home directory doesn't match the User.

Unfortunately I'm somewhat limited by what the actual wine app requires.  Island Rum just tries to set things up so wine is happy.  I don't want to make every individual path configurable because it makes supporting Island Rum game launching issues impossible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

So I'm on Catalina. I had the game installed before on Mojave, and wasn't able to use 64 bit mode. To play, I ended up having to use safemode. When I upgraded to Catalina it stopped working all together. I got the ready to play green checkmark then nothing. I tried re-installing, etc. I read all the posts here, and I think what the issue was was that there were some old settings for island rum held up. I read the post by Cho, and he mentioned to get rid of island rum using app cleaner which gets rid of old preference files and such. After doing that I trashed the COH folder in applications as well. 

So I seem to have gotten it to work. I used the latest Island Rum. Good luck to all my Mac using friends. There is hope!

Edited by hyperdav

• 2 weeks later
  • Game Master

As a heads up, Safe Mode has been pulled from the Staging Servers.  This is probably as best of a warning as I can make.

This is the last chance players have to turn in incidents concerning the use of the new client not working while having Safe Mode as a fallback.  We'll still handle support, but going forward, waiting means losing access to Homecoming Servers.

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

• 3 weeks later

Having problems running my CoH app today. I use Island Rum and it seems to be working fine, but when I attempt to log into CoH it brings up this message-- " Wrong game version, run patcher and reconnect, server 20200329_1193, client 20200303_848" What do i need to do?

Quit the game client.

Go to the icon in the top left of the Island Rum launcher.

Click the palm tree to open the menu.

Click on the Rescan option.

Wait for the Rescan to update your game client.

After the update ... Play Game

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

I'm seeing a lot of "upgrade to Catalina to get 64 bit to work". Before I go through that mess, is it really required?

The build of Island Rum I downloaded is 021820201. 

The problem I am having is that when I am prompted with "Ready to Play" I press the big arrow, a green check appears, disappears less than a minute later, and nothing happens.

34 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

Quit the game client.

Go to the icon in the top left of the Island Rum launcher.

Click the palm tree to open the menu.

Click on the Rescan option.

Wait for the Rescan to update your game client.

After the update ... Play Game

i have already tried that, also closed the app completely and restarted my laptop.. same issue 😕

7 minutes ago, chatty said:

I did all this too.

I completely deleted my CoH file with Island Rum as well and redownloaded it and now it wont even give me access to 64-bit or 34-bit... ive messaged @Mangaas well... i send you a chat if i get a response or if i get it figured out. still working on it ><

Help!  Can't log in using 32 or 64 bit.  Safe Mode was my way into the game but now it's gone.  Does anyone have a step-by-step guide on what to do now that safe mode is gone for those os us who play on macs?

• Game Master
4 minutes ago, KittKat said:

Help!  Can't log in using 32 or 64 bit.  Safe Mode was my way into the game but now it's gone.  Does anyone have a step-by-step guide on what to do now that safe mode is gone for those os us who play on macs?

Look up. 👆

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

43 minutes ago, KittKat said:

I have a little free time if you'd like for me to walk you through...

It seems harder than it is, it's just lines of code, and a few pieces of downloadable software...

I made a discord channel so we can back and forth if needed... 

I ran Island Rum earlier today and it updated itself, loading islandrum-mac.zip. I launched the game and played a bit. When I tried to run Island Rum later today, I got an error message "You have OS X 10.10.5. The application requires OS X 10.11 or later." I could enter the game once more when I launched the CoH app directly, but when I tried to log in  just a moment ago, I couldn't connect to server. The client was an old version and now it seems that I don't have means to update it.

Is there anything I can do to keep on playing in OS X 10.10.5?

• Game Master

We ended support of Safe Mode eight days ago.  If you were running the game in Safe Mode, does it start in 32-bit?  I don't know much about how Island Rum works (I don't have a Mac, but I have used them before in prior jobs) but I do know Yosemite (OS X 10.10) is quite old.  Island Rum testing is done on Sierra forward. 

There's three installers for Island Rum as of now for Mac:

• Catalina - 64 bit only client, signed.  Oldest Mac system that will run Catalina manufactured in 2012.
  • Sierra through Mojave - For Macs sold in the 2010s that don't/won't run Catalina. (Macs made from 2010-2012, or if you don't want to take the leap).
  • El Capitan and older - For Macs made before 2010.

The easiest (but time consuming and possibly something that would stop older apps from working) would be upgrading to Sierra or better if you can. 

If your system can't do the upgrade, or you're holding off for other reasons (both are valid reasons why not), best advice at this point would be help from other Mac users who play the game using the old Mac client and asking them for tips. 

Choake's guide in this thread would be a good start if you want to try a fresh install. 

• Like 1