Safe Mode Discontinuation Support - Mac OS X

Jimmy

• City Council

Hello!

If you are not yet aware, the Safe Mode client will soon be discontinued.

If you're having trouble running the new 32-bit or 64-bit clients on Mac OS X, please post in this thread. If you need support on Windows, please use this thread instead.

Old threads which have some workarounds:

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

If you were previously using the Wineskin or Cider clients for Mac, you will have to delete "City of Heroes.app" and "CoH.app" from your Applications folder in order to use the private Wine installation.  Otherwise Island Rum will ignore it and launch one of the above.

Contrary to what Codeweavers or anyone else says, Wine 4.0.1 (the private Wine install) works with Catalina as long as you're launching 64-bit Windows apps - it does not launch 32-bit Windows apps.  The versions of wine inside the Wineskin app (1.6.2) or Cider (1.4) don't work in Catalina.

I'm currently working on a new Island Rum release that will strongly encourage installation of everything inside the Applications folder - including Island Rum itself, and the game folder.  The option to select another path will intentionally become less user-friendly to ease troubleshooting.  I might also decide to make the Wine version hackable in a limited fashion, but I don't want that to be automatic, because it will make finding issues more complex.  It will also (if I can get Developer ID to cooperate) be signed, so it will still launch after the unsigned Mac app cutoff of Feb 3rd.

• Like 1

I'll re-post my first impressions of the Wineskin client (I've been using the Cider - aka Legacy or Safe Mode - client until now, and still am at home) and re-ask my question here, then:

While I was on vacation, I installed the 64-bit Wine client on a borrowed computer running 10.14.  It worked, but it worked... badly.

Changing from fullscreen to windowed mode and back in the new client resizes the screen, which in turn moved all my in-game windows (chat, nav, map, etc) around, and I had to move them back every time I switched resolutions (which I did when I wanted to use other programs). In the old Cider client, going from fullscreen to windowed mode and back scales the screen instead of resizing it, so the in-game windows don't move around.

The keymapping was way off as well: the Control key worked the same as in the Cider client, but key combinations involving Option in the Cider client instead use Command in the Wine client, and, more critically, combinations using Command in the Cider client can't be done at all in the Wine client (so I couldn't, for example, combine enhancements, or bring up an info window for a power, or anything else that involves a right-click, since I only had a one-button mouse to work with).

(On top of that, trying to zoom in and out was a crapshoot at best.  I could zoom in and out only if I did large sweeping gestures to zoom me out a million miles or all the way into a first-person view, but I couldn't do smaller subtle adjustments to put the camera where I wanted it.  I had similar issues with scrolling in menus and such)

All in all, the Wine client feels... looser.  Buggier.  Less stable (in a gameplay sense).  The Cider Client feels like a complete client in its own right; the Wineskin client feels like I'm playing a bad and unfinished emulator.

Is there any way to fix these issues in the Wine versions, since the Safe Mode client is not long for this world?  At the very least, how do I change the keys back to what I'm used to? How do people who are playing the 64-bit client on a Mac currently cope with the lack of a right-click, or is there some secret key combination I'm not aware of?

Edited by Williwaw

This is my post from before this thread was started:

GM Korvin asked me to post here if I am unable to use the beta version,, so here is my info:

When I try to use the 32-bit beta launcher I see "Loading", then the CoH splash screen for a few seconds, then it exits out back to the launcher. It doesn't let me into the game. I can still play in safe mode though. To try and play the beta I changed the manifest to http://patch.savecoh.com/beta.xml with the results above.

MacOS High Sierra

Version 10.13.6

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011)

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB

Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Edited 16 hours ago by Grimjackal

macOS Catalina can't seem to figure out how to run any resolution higher than my default screen resolution. Anything higher causes varying level of screen distortions, as if it cannot put the pieces together correctly. Anyone else experiencing this? 

I can play in windowed mode, but the game loses SO much detail at this lower resolution.

Welp, just went to launch Island Rum for the first time today and can't. I've had no issues before today and have been able to run the 64-bit client with no issues. 

Initial launch started a direct download of the island rum app into my applications folder and moved the "old" version into a new folder called "old" inside my applications folder. When trying to open the new island rum app, no screen pops up and it says it's "not responding" when I right click the icon. 

2054973590_ScreenShot2020-01-07at9_13_25PM.thumb.png.7436a3c8b7bfad47ad569b8737a8246e.png

1335371374_ScreenShot2020-01-07at9_14_05PM.thumb.png.1d2e87e18e1ee7c1110ff01713f9021e.png

831540570_ScreenShot2020-01-07at9_14_19PM.thumb.png.f369e82a10940c872df570a1d1df637b.png

980152269_ScreenShot2020-01-07at9_28_15PM.png.530ee393d39357caf473bf084257c8a8.png

1713776442_ScreenShot2020-01-07at9_18_39PM.png.a51f385451eb19e69334b31e9c9ac9a9.png

I have the same exact problem as the post above. I am also on Mojave.

When I force quit, if I hit report I am given a crash dump I can post if that is helpful.

I checked the logs in "~/LIbrary/Logs/Time Sync/Island Rum" and there's barely anything. Just this:

Mono path[0] = '/Applications/Island Rum.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed'
Mono config path = '/Applications/Island Rum.app/Contents/MonoBleedingEdge/etc'
Obtained 32 stack frames.

Edited by jthig32

I also have the exact same problem as @Psych Devil and @jthig32. This problem is unrelated to Safe Mode.

My computer runs Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6. Two hours ago, I opened Island Rum, it updated successfully, and I was able to play on Homecoming without a problem. I just opened Island Rum again. Island Rum updated itself a second time, and now the Island Rum program is stuck at "Application Not Responding".

To clarify: Island Rum will not open.

Island Rum uses an enormous amount of my CPU and causes the fans in my computer to ramp up on full blast. This is new behavior that was introduced after this evening's update.

Once again, this problem is unrelated to Safe Mode. I do not use Safe Mode.

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 8.47.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 8.48.24 PM.png

Another data point:  Island Rum was working earlier today (2020-01-07), but after downloading an update, it now hangs on launch as others have described.  10.14.6 (Mojave) on two different systems.  I tried downloading Island Rum from the eekstudio link, but it has the same hang-on-launch problem.

I can get CoH to run by using this command in the Terminal:

sh /Applications/coh/islandrum.sh 

But after logging in the game complains about a version mismatch.

Edited by sbnoble

Same here.  I'm on 10.15.2, Catalina.  Been running 64bit since it first rolled out without any issues (not in safe mode).  Played last night.  Tried to launch tonight and it just hangs.  I tried removing and getting a fresh download of Island Rum, same result.

• City Council
6 minutes ago, shaneinmesa2 said:

Same here.  I'm on 10.15.2, Catalina.  Been running 64bit since it first rolled out without any issues (not in safe mode).  Played last night.  Tried to launch tonight and it just hangs.  I tried removing and getting a fresh download of Island Rum, same result.

Please try redownloading it again. Manga had updated it with a version that has a certificate so that it doesn't break at the end of the month when Apple starts enforcing app signing, but it seems to be hanging on random machines. A version without the cert removed was just re-uploaded and seems to work... (but will break on Feb 2).

2 minutes ago, Number Six said:

Please try redownloading it again. Manga had updated it with a version that has a certificate so that it doesn't break at the end of the month when Apple starts enforcing app signing, but it seems to be hanging on random machines. A version with the cert removed was just re-uploaded and seems to work... (but will break on Feb 2).

New upload is working for me now (or at least opens, I blew away my install folder while trouble shooting so I'm re-downloading everything now).

The new version opens without a problem. Upon opening Island Rum, it downloaded the client again in the user/Applications/coh directory. After the client finished downloading, I was able to launch the 64bit version without any problems.

• City Council
1 minute ago, sbnoble said:

This Island Rum update works for me on 10.14.6, just have to right-click-open to get around the lack of dev signing.

Ironically, it was apparently dev signing that caused the hang (the only thing that was changed in the fixed version was removing the signature).

54 minutes ago, Number Six said:

Ironically, it was apparently dev signing that caused the hang (the only thing that was changed in the fixed version was removing the signature).

The new runtime-hardening requirement (which is activated through code-signing) includes restrictions on how runtime code is loaded and managed.  Island Rum probably needs to declare some exceptions to those restrictions.  I'm happy to help if needed: I just spent the last few weeks dealing with that.

• City Council
1 hour ago, Garble said:

OS X El Capitan

Here is the report I get when I try to run 32-Bit

backtrace_1-8-2020.txt 3.34 kB · 1 download

Same issue a lot of people are seeing of the launcher (Island Rum?) apparently passing in a -patchdir parameter to a directory that doesn't exist.

After trying and failing to launch it, do you have an islandrum.sh file somewhere in your COH directory that you can paste the contents of?

Thank you all so much for working hard to keep us all on the game!

I've been running the game in safe mode since sometime last fall. Maybe it was in August when a lot of other users had problems with Wine; I'm sorry, but I can't remember exactly. Anyway, with safe mode going away soon, I am still unable to run 32-bit. Computer is a 2011 with OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. Whenever I attempt to launch, it gives me an error that the program has encountered a problem and has to close.

If you need any more information, please let me know. I may need help finding the info though, as I'm not too tech savvy. Macs are supposed to be user friendly, ...right?

On 1/8/2020 at 8:41 AM, Number Six said:

Same issue a lot of people are seeing of the launcher (Island Rum?) apparently passing in a -patchdir parameter to a directory that doesn't exist.

After trying and failing to launch it, do you have an islandrum.sh file somewhere in your COH directory that you can paste the contents of?

Not that I can find. It isn't anywhere in apps/coh/drive_c/Program Files/coh/

The report I posted was found in there in a folder "hc-bin32/backtrace.txt"

Hey all,

I have a 2011 mac pro that I was only able to use safemode to play CoH. After reading through the various threads I did the following which fixed the issue for me. I can now play 32-bit beta or in the 32-bit link as well.

1. I trashed the CoH folder in my applications folder. I also had another icon for CoH in that folder, which I trashed as well. I left the rum folder alone.

2. I then started rum, selected 32-bit and tried to launch CoH. I had a big error message that said it couldn't locate the game files, so it started redownloading everything, including the Wine files.

3. After everything downloaded, I pasted in the beta manifest to see if that would work - it did.

4. I pasted in the safemode manifest to see if that still worked - it did.

5. I finally tested the normal 32-bit mode link to see if that worked now - it did.

6. Just tested 64-bit mode link and that now works as well.

So trashing the CoH files and redownloading worked for me.

Edited by Grimjackal

Hello All... I've put together a fairly comprehensive step by step, how to remove our Original Island Rum and CoH installs, how to remove and clean up the homebrew and wine left overs, and provide all the software and steps and terminal commands to have a fully functional and stable 32/64bit running game... AND a side benefit, the BRAND new Mac based HeroDesigner can Truly be opened with a right click open with wine stable... It's very clear plan and step by step.. Hopefully this eases some minds as I DID not want to miss this game again.. 

I ran this series on 3 seperate High Sierra computers.. 2 Mid 2011's And Airbook and iMac, both work amazingly.. And a Macbook Pro 2015.... 

I'll attack a short 50sec youtube video of me opening up the new mids, with just that a right click... Enjoy, rock out, and Good hunting

Cleaning up for 32 64bit AND mac Hero Builder.pdf

Wanted to clarify in case there is any confusion, while writing up this 101, I forgot to make sure the command lines were all in ONE line, and not split, it gets confusing, even to terminal.. So I wanted to touch up, so when you get to this step of the process, this is the same as in the file, just single line... Sorry for any confusion...  Good Hunting! 

ruby -e “$(curl -fsSL https:// raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/ master/uninstall)”

Edited by choake
Tried to post images, but not so fluent in forum how-to
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• City Council
14 minutes ago, choake said:

Hello All... I've put together a fairly comprehensive step by step, how to remove our Original Island Rum and CoH installs, how to remove and clean up the homebrew and wine left overs, and provide all the software and steps and terminal commands to have a fully functional and stable 32/64bit running game... AND a side benefit, the BRAND new Mac based HeroDesigner can Truly be opened with a right click open with wine stable... It's very clear plan and step by step.. Hopefully this eases some minds as I DID not want to miss this game again.. 

I ran this series on 3 seperate High Sierra computers.. 2 Mid 2011's And Airbook and iMac, both work amazingly.. And a Macbook Pro 2015.... 

I'll attack a short 50sec youtube video of me opening up the new mids, with just that a right click... Enjoy, rock out, and Good hunting

Cleaning up for 32 64bit AND mac Hero Builder.pdf 590.98 kB · 1 download

Do you have a standalone thread for this somewhere? It might worth putting in the tech support section so we can sticky it as a guide for people who can only run safe mode to try.

• Like 1