Power pools adjustments

I just want to toss out there that we all mostly disagree with the OP's direction (even they admit they aren't sold, so no reason to hold this against them)...

I think there's some broad agreement with their stance that power pools could use some updates.

To me, it's pretty simple: no intentionally useless power picks. This was really endemic to game design of the era, where the idea that anyone could grab these powers was greatly overvalued.

Starting point is simple: make Kick far stronger, with something like triple its current recharge. Boxing could also get some adjustments, but should largely remain unchanged.

Intent: one power is for folks looking for attack filler (melee controllers futzing with Containment), while the other is for folks who mostly have their attack chain fleshed out, and could maybe save on a different attack if this one were worth using.

Then give Flurry a full evaluation. I can't see any changes to this power making it worse for anyone.

Those are my starting points. I'd like to see more done, like Zepp's TP Overhaul, but these 2 starting points of flurry and Kick should help a lot of builds while proving to the community that responsible PP buffs don't cause issues.

Edited by Replacement

The reality is that the fact that the damage from Power Pools is Smashing makes them less useful on their face. As such, having T1-T3  Power Pool powers at 5-10% below T2 Primary level powers is sufficient. At level 4, it is a choice, and a reasonable person should see them as an option. For T4 Power Pool powers, they should be around 5-10% below a T6 primary level power. The final T5 (following my suggestion of T1-T3 lvl 4 no prereq, T4 lvl 14 one prereq, T5 lvl 20 two prereq) should be around 5-10% below a T7 Primary level power.

This is somewhat borne out by the Origin Power Pool sets (although attacks still underperform on most ATs), but this is what should be looked at for an overall revamp.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

23 hours ago, Replacement said:

I'd like to see more done, like Zepp's TP Overhaul,

Thank you for giving me credit, but it was a group effort to come to the best possible overhaul. I believe the T2 was your suggestion... In other words, it is the S&F community's TP overhaul, not mine.

I think that thread is a good example (for the most part), of how the community can work together towards ideas that are reasonable and most players would enjoy having implemented.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

When it comes to the idea of throw away powers/power taxes Ive never been one to concur with this view point. While I expect to some extent within  our AT system power tiers, I also believe in good design not having no fun/low fun powers as some kind of must take penalty for something a wee bit above average in power.

If I had my way Id see the fighting pool split. With there being an offensive and defensive fighting pool. Offensive fighting would be basically light street justice for the masses. Defensive fighting would be tough and weave, as well as a cc res toggle, the ma attack that gives a def buff, and the chi push move. While Id be at it Id remove the silly 4 pool limit as well. let people spend their powers on what they want. And in general Id raise pool abilities up to be just a tad under main powers in effect because again while we may be an AT system we could get abit closer to free form with some minor tweeks.

IMO the problem is the mindset and/or the game design that makes Tough, Weave and/or Combat Jumping "mandatory" for a "decent" build.

They're not, IMO.  But the prevailing meta is that any weakness, any "hole", must be covered.  Not by teammates, no; everyone must be a tank-mage, sufficient (and uber) unto themselves.

If a given AT was designed around the notion that e.g. "70/30" is balanced, that must be brought up to "70/50", if not "100/80".

Edited by Megajoule

I want to disagree with the OP suggestion that the pool powers don't offer players the option to vary their build. Naturally enough if you feel boxed into selecting the same 4 or 5 pool powers for MaxStats I can understand, but that's a decision made by the player.

I would appreciate opening up all the pools such that I could pick the 4th and 5th powers as 2nd and 3rd choices, just because I think there is a lot of flavor there which doesn't get explored.

Honestly, the first thing to 'fix' with power pools is the Teleport powers; the best of them are niche and the worst are useless.

• Like 1