Mid's Reborn Linux/Virtualbox Guide

I saw the MacOS guide, but haven't seen anything for Linux.    Wondering if there are any guides to getting Mid's Reborn running in Linux?   Or if someone would make one?     Preferably for a lighter weight distro that would run well in Virtualbox.

If I could easily run Mid's in Virtualbox, then I can work on builds on work computers (....of course only during lunch.  🙂)       But as a Linux noob I found it challenging to get Wine, Winetricks,  .NET4.7.2 all properly installed, and then get Mid's working.     Seems like this would be useful to the community.    The situation is much better now that it's on Github, but I've frequently seen it mentioned that folks are reluctant to install Mid's because of security concerns about 3rd party code.    Having a straight forward way to run it as a sandboxed Virtual Machine would alleviate any worries....

Anyway, if no one else makes a guide, I'll eventually get around to making one myself.   But having spent several largely unsuccessful hours already, I can promise you it will be better if someone knowledgeable in Linux does it.   😉

3 hours ago, Dr Causality said:

The situation is much better now that it's on Github, but I've frequently seen it mentioned that folks are reluctant to install Mid's because of security concerns about 3rd party code.    Having a straight forward way to run it as a sandboxed Virtual Machine would alleviate any worries....

Said concerns come from those not aware that unsigned apps will often trigger false flags in many AV apps and there's not really a way to avoid it beyond giving the app the go ahead during installation. If you don't trust other gamers who openly post said apps on the forums Not to embed malware (that has been tested/scanned by many others), then I'd suggest Win10 S-Mode and its limitations for your online experience.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

6 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

If you don't trust other gamers who openly post said apps on the forums Not to embed malware (that has been tested/scanned by many others)

Perhaps, I came off a bit wrong.   I absolutely loved the original Mid's.   I loved Pine's update.  And not exaggerating, if it weren't for Mid's Reborn, I probably would not keep playing this game.  So I greatly appreciate the time and effort that Crytilis, Maslow and Pine have devoted to it.    

But the first version of Pine's I used came from a random Dropbox link in a forum post.   Who was Pine?    Was it actually Pine's version of Mid's I downloaded from that Dropbox link?   Or was it Pine's version in a handy new malware wrapper?     AV scanning catches only common discovered malware; the era where you could scan something and  be confident it was clean is long past.   The caution here has nothing to do with false positives from AV, or trusting people I've never met.   It has do with acceptable risk.  These days your computer being exploited will often impact many people besides yourself, so even if I'm personally okay with the risk, I'm not okay with subjecting other people who depend on me to that risk.     

Even now that it's on Github, who has both the expertise and the time to look through the code base?     Even if the code base is clean,  even if you trust the developers and go through the hassle to compile it yourself, you're still not necessarily safe.....it's not really even about trust.  Not only do I not know the developers.....What do we know about the their own security hygiene?  Consider CCleaner:  mainstream signed software trusted by millions for decades.   They were hacked and their own software update process used to push out malware.    The security concepts here are simple.   Don't take unnecessary risks on systems that you use for finance, work or other important tasks.  Obscure code from internet strangers, even internet strangers I love,  is an unnecessary risk.     But I like Mid's enough that I'd like to be able use it, even when when I'm away from my dirty gaming system....    So yeah I'd like to be able to to easily run MId's in a VM without using up system resources or infringing on licensing.

then I'd suggest Win10 S-Mode and its limitations for your online experience.

How could Windows S possibly help?? I still couldn't run Mid's on it and I never stated I wanted to install, let alone only install, apps from the garbage MS store.   And Edge??   The only way Edge might possibly be more secure is that it's used by so few people that's unlikely anyone bothers researching or coding exploits for it....

Edited by Dr Causality

9 hours ago, Dr Causality said:

But as a Linux noob I found it challenging to get Wine, Winetricks,  .NET4.7.2 all properly installed, and then get Mid's working.

I had a difficult time trying to get it to work through a system Wine installation, but it does seem to work using the Lutris frontend (the same thing I use to play CoH). I'm using the lutris-5.0-x86_64 Wine version with just the .NET 4.7.2 and corefonts tricks installed, and it works like a champ.

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 10:04 PM, Dr Causality said:

How could Windows S possibly help?? I still couldn't run Mid's on it and I never stated I wanted to install, let alone only install, apps from the garbage MS store.   And Edge??   The only way Edge might possibly be more secure is that it's used by so few people that's unlikely anyone bothers researching or coding exploits for it....

That would be the snarky side of my headache that day as no, it wouldn't be possible. >.<

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)