Nature Affinity - Entangling Aura

biostem

Quick question:  I'm currently playing a gravity control/nature affinity controller.  She is quite fun, and having just hit level 35, I picked up entangling aura.  The power description shows it as having an 80% chance of applying a mag 1 hold, and a 50% chance of applying a mag 2 hold.  I was looking at some of the IO sets available, (the power only accepts "Hold" IO set enhancements), but wanted the input of some more experienced folks.  Would the enhancement that give a chance of applying a +2 mag hold be good in this power, since it's a toggle?  What about the ones that give a chance of applying psionic or lethal damage?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Can't speak to entangling aura, but choking cloud is literally the same power with a different animation so it should work the same.  The lockdown +2mag proc in choking cloud works well enough that I'm going to keep it in there.  Can't say I've tried damage procs in it yet. 

Edit: This is on my ill/rad, so I need all the extra control I can squeeze out of it. 🙂

Edited by Riverdusk
  • Thanks 1

AM currently working on my fire/nature troller, and I would say this.

For a minimum just 4 slot basilisk gaze, you'll be good to go, However if u got the extra slots to burn u can proc. it out.

If I were to add procs it would be the damage ones,..dont see much use in the +2hold proc. with chance to proc. being so low

just my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

I may be misremembering the math, but with that +2 Lockdown you have a chance of Holding a boss right out of the box.  That's nothing to sneeze at.

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

17 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I may be misremembering the math, but with that +2 Lockdown you have a chance of Holding a boss right out of the box.  That's nothing to sneeze at.

Once every 10 seconds itll roll to proc, since it's in a toggle. And since the AoE is big the proc chance is poop.

Much better off taking an Epic hold and sticking it there. At least then it'll proc on cast when you want that big horrid boss out of your face. 

My Necro/Nature MM frankenslotted it with a few End/Hold IOs. I stuck procs into Life Steal, the -resist power pool and 2 epics (knockout blow and shark jaws), along with a sprinkle in my pets.

Edited by Carnifax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Carnifax said:

Once every 10 seconds itll roll to proc, since it's in a toggle. And since the AoE is big the proc chance is poop.

Who needs more than ten seconds?  🙂

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• 11 months later
6 hours ago, Gentoo said:

How does the holding work on it? Does slotting holds in increase how often it holds them? how long it holds them when it does hold them? The power doesn't say how long it holds for, just a chance to hold.

The hold duration is 4 seconds if the chance to hold hits. Slotting for hold increases the duration, not the chance or frequency.

I have it franken slotted with 2x end/hold and 1x end/hold/rchg (it has a 20 second cooldown and it drops any time you get mezzed). Unlike Choking Cloud, Entangling Aura is autohit and doesn't require accuracy. It does use a lot of endurance though.

I haven't tried the Lockdown +2 mag proc, but I do have the Hybrid Control Core, which provides a chance of +1 mag and seems to go off pretty often.

8 minutes ago, Uun said:

I do have the Hybrid Control Core, which provides a chance of +1 mag and seems to go off pretty often.

The Hybrid Control toggle is a great addition to these toggle Holds (and Oppressive Gloom), as it has a flat % chance to activate regardless of the power's recharge or radius. So it really turns them up to being 3 Mag most of the time.

I wonder how it works with Fissure... Fissure checks twice for Stun, once at Mag 1 with 80% chance. If it adds +1 Mag to each check, that's yummy.