Looking for good farm build please

Redknight

Looking for a good farm build that's actually decent playing the rest of the game as well.  This will be my first 50 and I have ZERO idea on how to build IO sets for end game so any help would be awesome.  Would prefer non fire/ but beggers can't be choosers right?! Especially ones with no influence made yet lol.

Unfortunately fiery aura makes the backbone of all top tier farming builds.  Fiery embrace and burn is just too much damage to pass up.

Mobile posting right now so I can't post any builds, but..

Fire/rad

Fire/ss

And fire/spines are pretty much your top 3 contenders for farm speed.  I wouldn't deviate if you're set on making it a tank since clear speed will already be slower than a brute.

Deviations would probably be:

/Claws

/Ice (exotic damage version of ss)

/Fire

As far as primaries for tank I'd say:

/Rad

/Bio

/Sd

I have an SD/Ss tank who can hop in on farms and contribute decently, but nowhere near the speeds of say fire/ss.

• Like 1

The above is pretty much spot on. 

If you have any interest in just afk farming, you're looking for two damage aurus and an ability you can put on auto. Fire, Dark, Elec, and Bio have damage auras in the primary, rad and spines have them in the secondary. You can play with those combinations and then set you're big Aoe attack to auto, or burn if you go with fire armor. 

Yeah dark/, rad/, and elec/ can work as well with their damage toggles giving you enough aggro to taunt through the burn scatter when combinesd with say -quills or irradiated ground.  Those sets will also give you an option to run a second build that can be pretty decent for other endgame content as they're very well rounded.

Bio/ will give you more damage than the afformentioned sets through it's -res and+dmg, but will be weaker to alpha strikes in other Content.  This can be well mitigated through clever building though.

I have ZERO idea on how to build IO set

You can still start off with a fire, to understand how majority of fire/ tanks work (or later on, /fire brute), but you will need to pop quite the insperations to keep on going without any IO or incarnate.

From a 'fast farm' perspective, go for a fire brute anyway. Take a tank that you like to play, personaly i hate fire tanks/brutes, so i may be alot slower for example on my staff/rad brute, but i enjoy it so so so much more to just wack stuff around and having nothing to worry about. Specialy with the new range/radius buff, some melee are enjoyable to play and can do quite nice damage.

On 2/2/2020 at 5:55 PM, Redknight said:

Would prefer non fire/ but beggers can't be choosers right?! Especially ones with no influence made yet lol.

You don't NEED fire to farm, it's just a bit slower with non Fire sets.

Personally, my farmer is a TW/Bio Scrapper and i do an s/l farm map (#10890 in AE). Yeah it's slower than a /Fire brute but I can't be bothered to level up and IO that guy since I don't spend my time farming (severe case of altitis). Right now, I make around 17-20 mill in about 10 minutes doing that map and it's fine for my needs. Looking at the Farm Fresh guide, the most optimized farmer would make 23mill in 10 minutes so I'm not even that far off target while having a character that can do any other content no problem.

I can see that attraction of having the most efficient farmer if you are looking to IO out multiple level 50ies, but I'll start by first getting a SECOND 50 on my main account first then I'll think if I want to spend all that time and energy into having a more optimized time farming

Is ten mi

1 hour ago, Seigmoraig said:

You don't NEED fire to farm, it's just a bit slower with non Fire sets.

Personally, my farmer is a TW/Bio Scrapper and i do an s/l farm map (#10890 in AE). Yeah it's slower than a /Fire brute but I can't be bothered to level up and IO that guy since I don't spend my time farming (severe case of altitis). Right now, I make around 17-20 mill in about 10 minutes doing that map and it's fine for my needs. Looking at the Farm Fresh guide, the most optimized farmer would make 23mill in 10 minutes so I'm not even that far off target while having a character that can do any other content no problem.

I can see that attraction of having the most efficient farmer if you are looking to IO out multiple level 50ies, but I'll start by first getting a SECOND 50 on my main account first then I'll think if I want to spend all that time and energy into having a more optimized time farming

Is ten minutes how long it takes you to finish the map then?  I've messed around on the farm maps with a decidedly non-farming build (and powerset for that matter), and I'm curious what a normal farmer clears the map in.

20 minutes ago, Sura said:

Is ten minutes how long it takes you to finish the map then?  I've messed around on the farm maps with a decidedly non-farming build (and powerset for that matter), and I'm curious what a normal farmer clears the map in.

Yeah, 10 minutes is what it takes me to finish the map, it's a pretty small map, it's one of those that is in space like on an asteroid.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I have a Sonic Defender bot that is stealthed and floating above the center of the map. The whole purpose of this bot is to give my Scrapper the Disruption Field buff for a -30% (i think ? cant remember the exact amount) res debuff aura. Without the bot it would go a bit slower, probably in the 12-13 min range I would guess

18 minutes ago, Sura said:

Is ten mi

Well if you take other AT's and go crazy, sub 4 minutes is very much possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgjeLdNUWt8

Thats a 3:42.

Unless you absolute wanna go min/max on this and your time is the most precious thing you can imaging, thats your goal. 

I'm probably doing around 14-15 minutes (if procs and mobs be nice to me), above brute can do 4 of his in the same period, but thats on a generic game tank, i do TF's and missions, farms and stuff, so i'm far from optimised and absolutely not a /fire brute 😛

(tbh and people will hate me for it, just nerf the ... out of burn and lets see what people can actualy come up with. Maybe its back to fire/kins (though target limit is a issue), or people make the most diver type of farmers out there. I'm not saying its 'unfair', i just say it feels too cookie-cutter to always go for the same stuff)

On 2/2/2020 at 2:55 PM, Redknight said:

Looking for a good farm build that's actually decent playing the rest of the game as well.  This will be my first 50 and I have ZERO idea on how to build IO sets for end game so any help would be awesome.  Would prefer non fire/ but beggers can't be choosers right?! Especially ones with no influence made yet lol.

Why did I mark this as 'sad'?

• Want a farmer
  • Don't have any characters to 50 yet
  • Unfamiliar with Invention Origin enhancements 
  • Not a lot of influence

Nothing wrong with any of that.

It makes me sad that it is the expectation vs "I'm gonna go rescue someone", "rob a bank" or "smash some snakes". There are 100s maybe 1000s of hours of content in the game pre level 50.

"that's actually decent playing the rest of the game as well" - Try some out. You'll discover what play style you prefer and go from there.

Spines/fire brutes are not the absolute best character, farmer or earner. Fire/ tankers maybe even less so. My earner is a level 33 single target focused character.

Edited by Troo
added
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, SinergyX said:

Thats a 3:42.

I'm more interested in looking at the Inf/minute metric from the Farm Fresh guide. the mission I do isn't a 1 to 1 comparison with regular fire farm missions like this one, the mob density seems (didn't actually count them) higher in the mission I do the #10890.
Like I said i know it's faster doing it as a fire brute, no dispute about it, I was just illustrating how you can have a well rounded character that can farm (with help of a buff bot to get the 10 min range in mission 10890) just fine without putting all that time into getting a fire farmer up to snuff.

Like how much time do you need to invest into getting a spine/fire brute (that is boring as shit to play if you ask me) VS the time you would save in just having a regular well rounded character like my TW/Bio scrapper. If I have to invest 20 hours in a character to just get him ready to do farms fast like that when I could have spent that 20 hours just farming with my Scrapper, I don't think it's worth my time.
But that's me with a limited amount of time to play who gets bored with characters and rerolls all the time who doesn't have the patience to play characters he finds boring even if it's the "time efficient" to play them

Edited by Seigmoraig

On 2/2/2020 at 10:55 PM, Redknight said:

You don't -need- to farm, broseph. Plenty of people here have amassed fortunes just playing the game. Check my signature for some tips because if you played the game to 50 you may be richer than you thought. If your first 50 is a farm baby, well, that's something else.

Now if you -like- to farm it's something else altogether.