Help me create a main character...

WillParkinson

I played the game way back when it was live. Had a lot of characters I enjoyed, but none I would call a main. I suffer from terminal altaholism. BUT! Now that I'm older and, presumably, wiser, I want to make a main character who

I'd like them to be a scrapper.

I'd like them to do decent damage at least. (If they're able to solo an AV or two, that wouldn't be bad either.) If they can do something good in AoE, that would be great.

I'm not concerned about the cost of gearing them (yet). I figure I have time to build them up before I hit 50.

They'll mostly be solo, though I might team with a friend or try some TFs for badges and accolades.

I'm not keen on bio armor. Just can't get a taste for it, but if you can convince me otherwise, I might take another look.

I'm not married to or set against any primary power.

I know I'm asking for basic stuff, but I'll be honest: I've never been good at picking and sticking to a character. I'm gonna try my level best with this one, but first I need to know what works best. Any thoughts you might be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Will

I may not be the best on advice, because i LOVE bio armor. Super interactive set for me.

But, avoiding that set i have heard nothing but GREAT things about dark/shield Scrappers. Great ST and tanky, plus throw fireball in there and you got some pretty decent AOE. (want to make one myself)

Also, flying under the radar i have heard good things about War Mace/ Energy. 

No experience on any of these because all my scrapps are BIO lol

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mitchman said:

I may not be the best on advice, because i LOVE bio armor. Super interactive set for me.

But, avoiding that set i have heard nothing but GREAT things about dark/shield Scrappers. Great ST and tanky, plus throw fireball in there and you got some pretty decent AOE. (want to make one myself)

+1 for DM/Shield. Biased as my main is one, but it’s such a strong combo. DM gives you Incredible single target DPS, utility with its -ToHit, heal, & Dark Consumption, and Soul Drain is one of the best “build up” powers in the game. Shield is IMO the ‘best’ secondary for a Scrapper besides Bio Armor. Its main weakness is filled by DM’s heal, and it fills out DM’s AoE weakness with Shield Charge. Against All Odds gives you a taunt aura and increases your damage even higher after Soul Drain to boot. As Mitchman said, grab Fireball from the Epic Pools later and you’ve got crazy single and AoE DPS.

However, I will say if AoE damage is your big focus, you’ll be waiting awhile. Not counting Dark Consumption and Soul Drain, you don’t get an actual good AoE attack until 35. And Fireball needs two pre powers in the epic, so you won’t be adding that til 44 at a minimum. Exemplaring can be pretty rough if you don’t build a specific build for it. I did Synapse the other week and had just Smite and Siphon Life. It was pretty brutal.

You should have zero problems soloing with this combo starting at lvl 1 though. And once you’re a higher level and built out, it’s one of the best soloing combos in the game. AV and even TFs such as an ITF can be soloed. 

Happy to help with a build if you decide to go this route!

Edited by crkohl
Typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mitchman said:

I'll give shield a go! Thank you very much. 🙂

2 hours ago, crkohl said:

+1 for DM/Shield. Biased as my main is one, but it’s such a strong combo. DM gives you Incredible single target DPS, utility with its -ToHit, heal, & Dark Consumption, and Soul Drain is one of the best “build up” powers in the game. Shield is IMO the ‘best’ secondary for a Scrapper besides Bio Armor. Its main weakness is filled by DM’s heal, and it fills out DM’s AoE weakness with Shield Charge. Against All Odds gives you a taunt aura and increases your damage even higher after Soul Drain to boot. As Mitchman said, grab Fireball from the Epic Pools later and you’ve got crazy single and AoE DPS.

However, I will say if AoE damage is your big focus, you’ll be waiting awhile. Not counting Dark Consumption and Soul Drain, you don’t get an actual good AoE attack until 35. And Fireball needs two pre powers in the epic, so you won’t be adding that til 44 at a minimum. Exemplaring can be pretty rough if you don’t build a specific build for it. I did Synapse the other week and had just Smite and Siphon Life. It was pretty brutal.

You should have zero problems soloing with this combo starting at lvl 1 though. And once you’re a higher level and built out, it’s one of the best soloing combos in the game. AV and even TFs such as an ITF can be soloed. 

Happy to help with a build if you decide to go this route!

Thanks to you and Mitchman, I've decided to try it. If you have a build, I wouldn't say no to checking it out. Thank you both so much for your time and input.

• Like 1

The combinations I've most enjoyed were Broadsword/Shield, Electric/Shield (admittedly this was a Stalker) and Broadsword/Regen (back in issue 3, with some work still effective at shutdown).

Regen isn't an easy set nowadays and it takes considerable work to make it competitive in survivability.  Even then it lives and dies by it's clickie heals of Reconstruction and Dull Pain.  Broadsword helps considerably with Dull Pain er, I mean Parry, stacking up significant amounts of Melee defense but it benefits greatly from IO defense builds.  At it's best you'll still need to be aware and quick on the heal buttons but it's a very active set to play.

If you want to clear maps fast it's hard to do much better than Electric/Shield; it's a great combination for killing entire spawns in seconds.  The Scrapper version lacks a hard hitting single target attack that the Stalker gets so I personally think it's better on the Stalker AT.  Frankly in general Stalkers play like a Scrapper with Stealth.  Jump in and start the massacre, then move on to the next.  I play them virtually the same.

Edited by Call Me Awesome
Brain fart

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

And something not mentioned often but I think is true is /Regen can do very well to lower levels as an exemplar particularly with Broadsword and Katana owing to Parry (combined with the slots and global recharge of an exemplar build) .

Quite true, it's a set that matures early.  Regen is probably at it's strongest relatively in the 20's, so with decent IO sets becoming available around that time it can maintain effectiveness.  With my last Regen I leveled, a Fire/Regen stalker here, I found that focusing on S/L defense seemed to work well.  Adding Parry to the list to handle anything melee that defends against a good majority of the damage you'll face.

Since you're starting with zip for defense it's rather tough to build up soft capped def to multiple types or positions.  That being the case the best bang for the buck defense is defiantly S/L... my recollection is that something approaching 70% of all damage has a S/L component to it.  Most energy also has smashing after all.  Cold frequently comes paired with lethal.  And, as a scrapper a pretty good percentage of the damage you'll take is melee after all... something Broadsword handles quite nicely.  It's trivial to maintain a double stack of Parry for (unenhanced) 30% melee/lethal defense.  Couple that with your regeneration and heals... it works pretty well.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

21 hours ago, WillParkinson said:

Thanks to you and Mitchman, I've decided to try it. If you have a build, I wouldn't say no to checking it out. Thank you both so much for your time and input.

Ask and you shall receive my friend.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Soul Rend: Level 50 Magic Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Dark Melee
Secondary Power Set: Shield Defense
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Blaze Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Smite -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(3), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(5), Mk'Bit-Dam%(7)
Level 1: Deflection -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(7), LucoftheG-Def(9), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Battle Agility -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(11), ShlWal-Def(11), Rct-ResDam%(13), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 4: True Grit -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(13), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(15), Ags-ResDam(15), Ags-Psi/Status(17), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(50)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(17)
Level 8: Siphon Life -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Hct-Acc/Rchg(19), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(21), Hct-Dam%(21), Heal-I(23)
Level 10: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 12: Active Defense -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 16: Against All Odds -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Dark Consumption -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(25), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(25), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27), Obl-%Dam(29)
Level 20: Phalanx Fighting -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 22: Boxing -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(43), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Mk'Bit-Dam%(50)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(31)
Level 26: Soul Drain -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(31), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Arm-Acc/Rchg(33), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(34)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(34), LucoftheG-Def(34), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 30: Grant Cover -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Midnight Grasp -- SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprCrtStr-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprCrtStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(37)
Level 35: Shield Charge -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(40)
Level 38: Char -- Acc-I(A)
Level 41: Melt Armor -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A)
Level 44: Fire Ball -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(46)
Level 47: One with the Shield -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(48), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(48), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(48), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Critical Hit 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(42), Mrc-Rcvry+(43)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(40)
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Radial Superior Ally 
Level 50: Rebirth Core Epiphany 
------------

You're softcapped in Melee & AoE defense and just under it for ranged. Solid resistances and recharge. If Psionic attacks get through, they'll hurt, but Siphon Life is in your attack chain and should keep you healed up. 

Ideally you'll jump in to a mob use Soul Drain, then Shield Charge and Fireball. Begin with your single target chain on bosses that are left and use Fireball whenever it's up for mobs. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Try Dark/Rad or Warmace/Rad.

Radiation as a set offers good res, great regeneration, absorb shield with regen (perma-ed easily), a T9 power with virtually no crash, a toggle with +recharge based on # of baddies around you, and a heal that does some -regen to your target.

Dark Melee does great damage with fast animations, to-hit debuff powers, AND it has a heal. 

2 heals, good res, +recharge toggle, absorb, regen, to-hit debuff which boosts def. Tried one out on ITF without incarnates and was incredibly tough.

I had to stay on my Warmace/Rad though because WARMACE IS NUTS! 3 out of 5 powers in your end-game attack chain will do Extreme or Superior damage---which is AWESOME! You'll be taking chunks off of health bars. Also, it's beautiful how often Crowd Control will recharge with Beta Decay's +recharge +taunt toggle. The taunt keeps baddies nice and close to you while Crowd Control wrecks them. By the time they get up from being knocked down by Crowd Control, your Crowd Control will be recharged to put them back on the floor. Just put Crowd Control on auto and hop into a group of baddies and make them bounce up and down.  

Edited by BurningDezire