Pools for roleplay?

Neiska

Hello Forums,

Just had an odd question! What pools or options are there for players that would like powers for cosmetic/roleplay reasons? Are there any various pools or ATs that espcially stand out? Epic or Paetron pools?

By "roleplay effects" I mean powers you can activate that have a visual effect of some sort. Normally, I would go through the game and test things out one by one, but there are so many ATs and pools so I am wondering if there is a list or if people with experience have insight. I know many pools require a target or enemy to activate, but what about purely social situations? Can you make ambient Fire effects? Weather? Darkness or Gloom? Pools of Slime? Dancing lights? and so on? Which pool powers have effects that dont require enemies or allies to trigger?

I have been toying with the idea of making a few characters whose powers were based purely on roleplay/graphics, but I am not sure how to go about it or if its even possible. I do know some pools have a few toggles and area powers that you can use at will, but not sure what else there is, or even how supportive this might turn out to be.

So, lets hear some ideas or suggestions!

Thanks bunches in advance!

Shadow meld on a vampire character would certainly look iconic. I have used it also during some roleplays on my main, when she used it to avoid attacks.

I suspect the targeting drone might be used for similar purposes as well.

Among the various pools, however, the one that comes to mind is actually sorcery, due to its various cool visual effects and animations, specifically for mystic flight and rune of protection, but I would not underestimate the rp potential of spirit ward either.

To a lesser extent this can be extended also to mighty leap from the Force of Will pool.

A pleasant exception among the travel pools might be whirlwind on the other hand.

Hopefully with the release of new origin pools, and even better perhaps new ancillary pools too, there will be more options. :)

Bio Armor offers dramatic visual effects that could be used for infested/mutation type characters. You can also pick and choose which to show depending on the costume you have by using the Minimal Effects options in each different power that give you mutated parts to even have multiple costumes to show different levels of infection or mutation (This isn't even my final form !!)

Storm Summoning and Dark Miasma have fog effects with Steamy Mist and Shadow Fall

Time Manipulation has a sort of Eye of the Storm looking power with Time's Juncture

Sonic Resonance and Force Field both have a bubble that forms around you that could be useful for many RP concepts.

Electricity Manipulation and Electric Control have a lightning aura toggle, Lightning Field and Static Field

In the character creator, if you look in the Aura section, there is a class of auras that is Path Aura that has many options from growing grass where you walk, to spawning cockroaches to fiery path

Edited by Seigmoraig

One of the greatest strengths of this game is character design. There are a number of oowers and oower oools that alter the look of the character. Plus auras. 

armors tend to have a constant change in the character costume. Some to such an extent i cannot roll a toon with that armor uess i am making a statement aboit that powerset

stealth and flight pools can dramatically alter a characyer as well

it also depends how invested you are in costume over playing ability. Choosing to look a certain way all the time is similar to always wearing high heels. You have changed how you look but uou are not running into combat without taking a negative on at least one roll

I'm still quite proud of my mutant polar bear who developed cryokenisis to deal with the changing settings he's lived in here in Paragon. One might say "does he use ice melee?", no, he controls cold, not ice and the animations for Psi melee colored white looks like super cooled air, especially the tier 9 PBAoE that summons a heavy freezing updraft around him. 

On 2/19/2020 at 8:24 AM, Neiska said:

Hello Forums,

Just had an odd question! What pools or options are there for players that would like powers for cosmetic/roleplay reasons? Are there any various pools or ATs that espcially stand out? Epic or Paetron pools?

By "roleplay effects" I mean powers you can activate that have a visual effect of some sort. Normally, I would go through the game and test things out one by one, but there are so many ATs and pools so I am wondering if there is a list or if people with experience have insight. I know many pools require a target or enemy to activate, but what about purely social situations? Can you make ambient Fire effects? Weather? Darkness or Gloom? Pools of Slime? Dancing lights? and so on? Which pool powers have effects that dont require enemies or allies to trigger?

I have been toying with the idea of making a few characters whose powers were based purely on roleplay/graphics, but I am not sure how to go about it or if its even possible. I do know some pools have a few toggles and area powers that you can use at will, but not sure what else there is, or even how supportive this might turn out to be.

So, lets hear some ideas or suggestions!

Thanks bunches in advance!

Well, stealth from the concealment pool is great for any character that's supposed to be a spy or ghostly, yet doesn't already have access to such a power.

Also, check out the costume change emotes, as many of them are really good - such as summoning a murder of crows, raising up your hand to call lightning, or maybe even chugging a potion.  You should be able to trigger the command by switching into an identical costume in a different costume slot, if you didn't want to actually change your appearance.

Force of Will has mighty leap, which grants you a footstomp-like power, which can be pretty dramatic, and requires no enemies.

Presence has Invoke Panic, which is a PBAoE, (so doesn't require any enemies to use) - though having to take 1 other power to gain access to it is iffy, IMO.

Otherwise, check out the other emotes available...