Anime for Tankers

Started watching this anime a couple days ago:   "BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense"

The main character starts a new MMO.  Unsure of herself she goes for high defense... and ends up creating the most OP character in the game.  In spending stat points she puts it all into defense.  There are a couple quirks in the game mechanics to help characters survive long enough to run, by buffing defense when fighting creatures with much higher strength and agility, and since she didn't put anything into those, she ends up with defense x8 .  She is freaking out the developers even after they nerf some of her skills.    Only 5 episodes in and I'm loving it

• Haha 2

On 2/24/2020 at 10:12 AM, FireBrandi said:

Started watching this anime a couple days ago:   "BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense"

The main character starts a new MMO.  Unsure of herself she goes for high defense... and ends up creating the most OP character in the game.  In spending stat points she puts it all into defense.  There are a couple quirks in the game mechanics to help characters survive long enough to run, by buffing defense when fighting creatures with much higher strength and agility, and since she didn't put anything into those, she ends up with defense x8 .  She is freaking out the developers even after they nerf some of her skills.    Only 5 episodes in and I'm loving it

I'm enjoying the series as well.  Granted, the whole absorption ability and gaining resistances by being exposed to a particular damage type is definitely OP, (which I suppose is kind of the point).

Rising of the Shield Hero is another good one.

I rather enjoyed Goblin Slayer as well, (though that one is rather graphic).

On 2/29/2020 at 4:54 PM, biostem said:

I'm enjoying the series as well.  Granted, the whole absorption ability and gaining resistances by being exposed to a particular damage type is definitely OP, (which I suppose is kind of the point).

Rising of the Shield Hero is another good one.

I rather enjoyed Goblin Slayer as well, (though that one is rather graphic).

Yea, the gaining immunity after suffering enough attacks is broken.  And I would be eating everything just to see what you get.  Then the developers put in potentially game breaking pets in, that can only be acquired by players who are already OP?  They need a few lessons on game balancing.

I loved Shield Hero, and want a Raphtalia figure.  Goblin Slayer was great too.  Watched the first episode by myself, so could just jump to second for my wife.   Right now going through second season of Parasyte.  Very bloody, but good.

2 hours ago, FireBrandi said:

Yea, the gaining immunity after suffering enough attacks is broken.  And I would be eating everything just to see what you get.  Then the developers put in potentially game breaking pets in, that can only be acquired by players who are already OP?  They need a few lessons on game balancing.

What I find odd about the game Bofuri takes place in is that there is apparently no Internet culture where people share builds/strategies or otherwise dive into the numbers or code.  They do show some, what I'm assuming are either chatrooms or text conversations, but it's still odd...

My spouse is currently watching a series on Netflix which has a title roughly translated as "Is It Alright to Pick Up Girls While Dungeoneering?"

It's apparently cute and compelling enough to keep her engaged with the series.  She'll drop an anime in an instant if it's not really grabbing her interest.

3 hours ago, VileTerror said:

My spouse is currently watching a series on Netflix which has a title roughly translated as "Is It Alright to Pick Up Girls While Dungeoneering?"

It's apparently cute and compelling enough to keep her engaged with the series.  She'll drop an anime in an instant if it's not really grabbing her interest.

There are a few seasons of that series and its spinoff, (about the more experienced team led by a female Loki).  It's a fun series, (I only wish it dealt more with the actual dungeoneering than the fanservicey stuff).  The side/alternate story is 'Sword Oratoria'.

https://www15.gogoanime.io/category/dungeon-ni-deai-o-motomeru-no-wa-machigatte-iru-darouka

https://www15.gogoanime.io/category/dungeon-ni-deai-wo-motomeru-no-wa-machigatteiru-darou-ka-gaiden-sword-oratoria

8 hours ago, biostem said:

What I find odd about the game Bofuri takes place in is that there is apparently no Internet culture where people share builds/strategies or otherwise dive into the numbers or code.  They do show some, what I'm assuming are either chatrooms or text conversations, but it's still odd...

The reason for that is because the main character (Maple) is the epitome of the Casual Gamer™ who is just playing to have fun rather than to min/max (or compete, really) and she just isn't all that interested in the internet culture/forum culture side of the game outside the game.  And since most of the story revolves around her, the subject just doesn't come up all that much (aside from the chat forum that Kuromu participates in).

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

10 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

The reason for that is because the main character (Maple) is the epitome of the Casual Gamer™ who is just playing to have fun rather than to min/max (or compete, really) and she just isn't all that interested in the internet culture/forum culture side of the game outside the game.  And since most of the story revolves around her, the subject just doesn't come up all that much (aside from the chat forum that Kuromu participates in).

I'm not talking about Maple.  I'm just imagining that there'd be guides all over the place telling you which enemies you could eat for which abilities, where you could go to farm damage, how long it takes to gain resistance vs immunity to different damage types, and so on.  Don't get me wrong - I really enjoy the show because the MC isn't fanservicey or some ultra-pro super-gamer, and how she just kind of stumbles into being OP is kind of endearing...  :-)

On 3/2/2020 at 7:09 PM, biostem said:

I'm not talking about Maple.  I'm just imagining that there'd be guides all over the place telling you which enemies you could eat for which abilities, where you could go to farm damage, how long it takes to gain resistance vs immunity to different damage types, and so on.

Right.  In the real world, there'd be TONS of characters as buff/OP as her because they'd have gone looking for the information - and there'd be plenty of people providing it.

Anyhow, I loved Bofuri so much I built a tank (very) loosely based on Maple:

screenshot_200129-12-42-05.jpg

screenshot_200129-12-42-16.jpg

Edited by Doc_Scorpion

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

1 hour ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Anyhow, I loved Bofuri so much I built a tank (very) loosely based on Maple

What you go with for the secondary?  Fire melee?  I woulda thought dark melee would be a better fit since you have siphon life, dark consumption, and soul drain...

2 hours ago, biostem said:

What you go with for the secondary?  Fire melee?  I woulda thought dark melee would be a better fit since you have siphon life, dark consumption, and soul drain...

I thought of Dark too...  But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted Fire to go with the color scheme I'd come up with.  (Black shields looked like crap.)  But right after I rolled her, I decided I liked what Dark offered too and rolled a Shield/Dark Brute.

Forgot to mention her name:  Shirodo Momoji.  Shirodo means "shielded/armored", and Momoji refers to the red maple leaves of fall.  (As well as being a girl's name.)

Edited by Doc_Scorpion
  • Like 2

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!

One of the few Anime Tanks I've had concepts for.  But never really implemented, for some reason.

Mister Fujisawa from El Hazard.
A super-addict chain-smoking booze hound of a phys-ed teacher.

They initially find out that, if you wean him off the sauce, he becomes nearly invulnerable and ridiculously strong.

Near the end, having been transported to a different world, he's been hoarding his cigs.  He finally finishes the last one and almost immediately goes into the DTs.

He gets himself apparently stomped to death by a giant fusion-style bug-mech.
He then lifts the huge thing off him, glowing with power, massive reverb in his voice and chucks the thing over the horizon.
Yep, laying off the OTHER addiction basically exponentially increased his power AGAIN, and he's essentially a physical god.

His entire through-line in the whole series is just ridiculous as hell and the denoument just has you laughing till you wet yourself...

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

2 hours ago, biostem said:

Here's my go at a version of 'Maple':

Nice!  That looks pretty good!  What powersets?

I didn't find any medievaloid/fantasyish costumes I liked, so that lead me to a more Super Sentai direction.  (In her bio, she was inspired by Super Sentai to become a superheroine.) That also helped lead me to Fiery Melee, as Dark powersets didn't make sense for (to me) for a Super Sentai.

1 hour ago, Hyperstrike said:

Mister Fujisawa from El Hazard.
A super-addict chain-smoking booze hound of a phys-ed teacher.

That sounds... like an absolutely insane concept.  And fun!

15 hours ago, biostem said:

You're quite welcome!  Here's her 'Loving Sacrifice' form:

Nice!  I can't find any wings that I like/work well with my Super Sentai version.

1662898671_LovingSacrifice.png.8f7b5b49aee15b962aad7671931bed66.png

I fiddled a bit and came up with a Super Sentai interpretation of Loving Sacrifice.  (Emphasis on the "a version", there's lots of armor pieces that might work.) 

Looking at it, maybe I need to reverse the colors - white using gold for highlights.