Question on Power Customization

DR_Mechano

Just a random question here guys but with the whole alternate animations I was curious. Can projectiles and game sounds be changed with these alternate animations or is it just the animation that gets changed and everything else remains the same?

I was actually examining this recently, and I'll need to verify my findings before I put my foot deep in to my own mouth, but it looks like projectiles and prop weapons and Pet summons are all treated differently for the purposes of customization.

I'd need a program to view the 3D Assets in detail before I could say with any certainty, but I have some other things on my plate which I need to prioritize first.  Remind me about this in a couple months if no one else has gotten back to you with a good lay-person answer.

1 hour ago, MetaVileTerror said:

I was actually examining this recently, and I'll need to verify my findings before I put my foot deep in to my own mouth, but it looks like projectiles and prop weapons and Pet summons are all treated differently for the purposes of customization.

I'd need a program to view the 3D Assets in detail before I could say with any certainty, but I have some other things on my plate which I need to prioritize first.  Remind me about this in a couple months if no one else has gotten back to you with a good lay-person answer.

Will do. I was asking merely to see how difficult or even feasible it would be to give Sonic replacement sounds projectiles using the Sirens various abilities. I find them much more palatable to the ears and there are a ton of character concepts I could do with actual singing version shrieking at people.

• City Council

Sounds can definitely be changed, they’re just part of the fx script.

I think projectiles can vary (they definitely take on tinting) but don’t quote me on that.

The big question on the sirens music note effects is if the animation times can be made to match up or not.

• Thanks 2

My thoughts were more about having variations of Blast Sets where the player has weapons/tools/devices to "cast" the Blasts.

So, going to go ahead and pop that foot in my mouth prematurely anyway, it seems.

My idea was to have it so that -every- Blast Set has a Weapon Slot in the Costume Editor.  Every weapon also has a texture "skin" which is 100% translucent, thus allowing for the weapon to be invisible (this would be the default for most Blast Sets).  Weapons would include Rifles, Ray-Guns, Pistols, Wands, Staves, or (in the case of Sonic) Guitars.

THEN in the Power Customization section we would have the appropriate animations for all of these various props.  

So, this means that "yes, the player can mix and match a 'bad' combination of Prop and Animation."  Holding a Guitar like a Pistol, and doing the 'throw' animation for Fire Blast might look janky and awful to most people.  I personally feel the power should be in the hands of the individual player to decide if it looks appropriate for their character, though.

There's more to my idea, which revolves around sets like Traps, but I -definitely- need to do my research before offering that suggested solution.

• Thanks 1

Some interesting notes from both you of you. I was just very curious and was debating internally with myself if such a thing would be even remotely possible. I'd take even just a 'singing' replacement for Sonic as an alternate (aka just replacing the SFX on the powers) without the music notes projectile animation but I imagine that's something that's probably both A) Kinda niche and B) probably more work than you've got time for now.

Edited by DR_Mechano

5 hours ago, DR_Mechano said:

Some interesting notes from both you of you. I was just very curious and was debating internally with myself if such a thing would be even remotely possible. I'd take even just a 'singing' replacement for Sonic as an alternate (aka just replacing the SFX on the powers) without the music notes projectile animation but I imagine that's something that's probably both A) Kinda niche and B) probably more work than you've got time for now.

Yes, you can change the sounds of powers.

• Haha 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

4 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Yes, you can change the sounds of powers.

Yes but that involves going into the files and fiddling about them plus that is only client side so only I would hear it. I'd prefer it if everyone could hear it.

6 hours ago, DR_Mechano said:

Yes but that involves going into the files and fiddling about them plus that is only client side so only I would hear it. I'd prefer it if everyone could hear it.

This is correct, but not everyone cares for the choices that others would make. I'm all for options within the CC including sound, not so sure that I'd want any option I or someone else chose to be broadcasted to everyone. It would be nice if there were a 'Silent' option with power customization and/or an easier way for players to alter their own sfx. Heck, It'd be nice if the Powers Customization tab in the CC played the sfx along with the vfx.

Should alternates be added for something like Sonic, then believe me, players will be clamouring for the same treatment to every powerset. A quick look at the table in my thread is a good indication of the vast array of powers sfx that have annoyed people since Legacy. 🙂

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 3/5/2020 at 5:00 PM, VileTerror said:

My idea was to have it so that -every- Blast Set has a Weapon Slot in the Costume Editor.  Every weapon also has a texture "skin" which is 100% translucent, thus allowing for the weapon to be invisible (this would be the default for most Blast Sets).  Weapons would include Rifles, Ray-Guns, Pistols, Wands, Staves, or (in the case of Sonic) Guitars.

Only if Sonic also gets bagpipes - the original weaponized musical instrument:  

https://www.scotclans.com/bagpipes-a-weapon-of-war/

• Like 2