Can barely move, mostly stuttering

Psyonico

Hi,

So I just changed computers and logged in for the first time on my new(er) rig.  My problem is that when I try to move, I do so EXTREMELY slowly and my character stutters like it is trying to move but just can't.  Any idea what might cause this?

Thanks

What this team needs is more Defenders

common: operating system updates. graphics card settings, firewall/virus protection.

try the 32 rather than the 64.

Edited by Troo
these are guesses based on personal experience

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Game Master

If the character is rubberbanding (they move, but snap back to a starting point over and over), that's a network problem.  The client is still connected but keeps timing out.  Open /netgraph 1 and see if there's yellow and red blocks when this happens.

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

This isn't rubberbanding, my characters move like they are at the movement floor and there is all kinds of character stuttering, almost like they are trying to move but can't.  Also, even though I have combat jumping active, I jump about as high as if it weren't.  When I get home I'll see if I can get a screen recording of it to post and show what is happening.

Can you post the specs of your new computer (and old for reference wouldn't hurt)? What's the framerate you're getting?

2 hours ago, Psyonico said:

screen recording

fyi, uploading gameplay videos is currently not allowed

1 hour ago, Sif said:

Can you post the specs of your new computer (and old for reference wouldn't hurt)? What's the framerate you're getting?

fyi, uploading gameplay videos is currently not allowed

Old Rig (Laptop):

Processor: Intel I7 6700HQ

Mainboard: AsusTek N501VW

Memory: 16GB DDR4 Clocked at 1063MHz (I know, strange)

Graphics: Displaylink USB Device (it also has a GTX 960M in it

New Rig:

Processor: Intel I7 5820K

Mainboard MSI X99s SLI Plus (MS-7885)

Memory 16 GB DDR4 Clocked at 1066 MHz

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

As for the uploading gameplay footage, does that include Youtube links? I just want to make sure that the problem I'm having is clear, because it's something I've never seen before.

Since it is a new rig, you've tested to make sure that drivers and BIOS are up to date, particularly on the video card? Do you play any other games, online or otherwise? Have they had any problems? What were the results of the netgraph that GM Tahquitz suggested? Any lag spikes?

It's not a new rig, it's about 5 years old, everything is up to date, I've played many-a games (including a newer MMORPG) without any hiccups.

Netgraph had 1 red spike right when it started, but after that it was all green.

The strange thing is that sometimes (rarely) I can move normally, but as soon as I stop moving the issue pops up again.

• GM Tock featured and unfeatured this topic

I'm actually running the exact same keyboard on both setups (some Cooler Master, don't remember the model)  I tried installing the C++ distribution but I'm already running a newer version, so it wouldn't let me install it.

the intel ethernet driver update didn't seem to fix the problem either.

Thanks for the advice though.

Random thought, is there any possibility that the mainboard has an integrated graphics chip which isn't turned off in bios, and you're plugged into that instead of the actual Nvidia graphics card? (Or is this a laptop?)

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

34 minutes ago, Erydanus said:

Random thought, is there any possibility that the mainboard has an integrated graphics chip which isn't turned off in bios, and you're plugged into that instead of the actual Nvidia graphics card? (Or is this a laptop?)

Funny (to me) side story:  My friend has a much nicer machine than I do and would constantly ride me with the "frames win games" statement. Well, he moved his machine and when he set it back up he accidentally plugged into the onboard video (both had HDMI connections) and his games ran POORLY.  He called me to take a look at it. I asked him what he had done recently and he copped to moving things around, so I checked the cabling and saw what he did. I fiddled around for a bit and then told him that he'd used all of his prepaid frames that came with the card and that he needed to buy more from Nvidia.  He was MAD!!!  I let him rant for a few minutes and then told him that he'd just plugged into the wrong card and it was fine now that I'd moved it back.

Somewhat related:  This could be it. It does sound similar to what my friend was seeing.

• Haha 1

Try adding the -usetexenvcombine option into the game client's launch options, and see if it makes a difference.  If it does, then it means that one of the options or settings you have in the regular client is causing the issue, and you may need to systematically inch the settings up little by little until you find the culprit.

i you running windows 7/8 or the newest version of windows 10. check out under system info on windows 10 what build your using make sure your not using a older insider build on windows 10 it easy to get a beta copy of windows 10 if you click on insider tester. if your running windows 7/8 if you have a spare drive try installing a clean copy of windows 10. you dont need a oem code to use 10 as a test bed you just get a small warning that it not register. on the pc itself make sure there no sound on network card sharing the irq of the video card slot. on the video card slot make sure the video card in the right slot. if your using 3 party sound or network card make sure the onboard cards are turned off. on your install see if it an issue with windows and the game try starting the game in it iggest video setting 600x800 not windowed or full screen see if any of those lower video res work. also if your using the newest nvidia driver with a gpu that old there may be an issue with the newer driver and older cards. try using a nvidia drive cleaner and try one of the 900 ser driver see if it a driver issue.

■■Intel® X99 Express Chipset
-- 6x USB 3.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available
through the internal USB 3.0 connectors*)
-- 6x USB 2.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available
through the internal USB 2.0 connectors)
■■ASMedia ASM1042AE
-- 2x USB 3.0 ports on the back panel
■■VIA VL805
-- 4x USB 3.0 ports on the back panel
* Internal JUSB1 connector supports MSI Super Charger.

as there three usb chipset make sure there all on and updated and  make sure your using the intel usb ports.

12 hours ago, biostem said:

Try adding the -usetexenvcombine option into the game client's launch options, and see if it makes a difference.  If it does, then it means that one of the options or settings you have in the regular client is causing the issue, and you may need to systematically inch the settings up little by little until you find the culprit.

Tried this, no luck.

9 hours ago, microc said:

i you running windows 7/8 or the newest version of windows 10. check out under system info on windows 10 what build your using make sure your not using a older insider build on windows 10 it easy to get a beta copy of windows 10 if you click on insider tester. if your running windows 7/8 if you have a spare drive try installing a clean copy of windows 10. you dont need a oem code to use 10 as a test bed you just get a small warning that it not register. on the pc itself make sure there no sound on network card sharing the irq of the video card slot. on the video card slot make sure the video card in the right slot. if your using 3 party sound or network card make sure the onboard cards are turned off. on your install see if it an issue with windows and the game try starting the game in it iggest video setting 600x800 not windowed or full screen see if any of those lower video res work. also if your using the newest nvidia driver with a gpu that old there may be an issue with the newer driver and older cards. try using a nvidia drive cleaner and try one of the 900 ser driver see if it a driver issue.

I'm running Win10 64.  I've updated all of my drivers and changed my audio to use the onboard chip rather than the HDMI, still no luck.

9 hours ago, microc said:

■■Intel® X99 Express Chipset
-- 6x USB 3.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available
through the internal USB 3.0 connectors*)
-- 6x USB 2.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available
through the internal USB 2.0 connectors)
■■ASMedia ASM1042AE
-- 2x USB 3.0 ports on the back panel
■■VIA VL805
-- 4x USB 3.0 ports on the back panel
* Internal JUSB1 connector supports MSI Super Charger.

as there three usb chipset make sure there all on and updated and  make sure your using the intel usb ports.

I went to MSI's website and updated drivers that way, and still have the issue, is there something else I should be trying?

Also, I want to reiterate that my character is the only thing that is stuttering/barely moving.  Everything around me is running normal.  He's also a Force Field Controller and Dispersion Bubble runs normal as well.

I doubt this is the issue, but once I get a chance later today, I'm going to plug my laptop into my TV to see if I have the same problem.

Do you have any non-english or accessibility options enabled? It sounds to me like something keeps interrupting your input, like if your computer is set to never allow Press&Hold capabilities.

Random test: hold down both mouse buttons, assuming you haven't done anything to remove the default binding that makes that Chord run you forward.

This should at least test if your issue resides with keyboard input.

Edited by Replacement

Mouse test worked perfectly, so just for fun I plugged in a different keyboard and voila it worked no problem.  Looks like there must be some problem with the keyboard.

Thanks again all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

strange thing... I just tried to run Skyrim: Special Edition and I was able to move just fine.  My old computer does not have the software because it's not the RGB model.  I wonder if it's the software on my newer rig that is causing the issue.  Though that seems to only be for changing the key colors and nothing else.