What would be the highest DPS troller?

Makobolite

12 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

That's all from a tested and number analyzed perspective, not an opinion perspective.

We really have only two 'tests' - pylon tests and AE farm clear times - and they're both limited in terms of what they can predict (and, in the case of AE farm clear times, we don't have a very comprehensive set of examples from Controllers). So it's disingenuous to claim your opinion isn't an opinion.

For single target damage, it's primarily about the pet(s). Most of the core features of single target controller damage are pets, procs, support sets and pools. The only factors uniquely tied to the Control sets are the pets.

So it tends to boil down to (a) how much pet damage there is and (b) whether you can keep those pets alive.

Because Illusion absolutely wins on (b), a reasonable ranking for single target damage would be: Illusion > Dark, Plant > everything else. Illusion has the invulnerable pets and another pet summons. Dark has the best actual pet and augments it with additional pets. Plant has the most proc-friendly of the pets. However, Phantom Army's invulnerability cannot be understated. In most tough single target fights, your pets are simply going to get crunched without some fairly extraordinary efforts - and thus not contribute dps. Since no Controller has remotely competitive single target non-pet dps from their Control set, it becomes a bit like a tallest Oompa Loompa contest at this point.

In terms of AE, it's largely about layering powers and procs (in a practical fashion). This gives us: Electric, Fire, Plant > Earth > Dark, Ice > everything else. Jolting Chain and Carrion Creepers have incredible proc performance on top of the standard Immobilize and an AE Confuse. Fire has four different AE effects to layer those procs. As you move down the list, your options become slimmer and slimmer.

2 hours ago, Hjarki said:
15 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

We really have only two 'tests' - pylon tests and AE farm clear times - and they're both limited in terms of what they can predict (and, in the case of AE farm clear times, we don't have a very comprehensive set of examples from Controllers). So it's disingenuous to claim your opinion isn't an opinion.

You made some valid points on isolated cases (Pylon and AE farming), but those are, as you pointed out, isolated circumstances.

But those are not the only way to test the content in this game, they are merely one off singular tests measuring a specific scale. What I based my information off of was holistic performance from holistic testing of ST, AoE, and general gameplay performance from empirically collected data when I tested Controller Primaries for Proc validation months ago. I also accounted for counter performance tests and validations from other players. Given that it is possible to see wavering variations in performance within certain block ranges, this is why I grouped sets versus ranking them numerically in the last table. 

No, I didn’t give a disingenuous statement, I used the performance data I had at hand.

How we measure does drastically change the outcome and hierarchy of primaries.

While I've played most primaries and secondaries, and tried many combinations, the only one I've really fine-tuned is Plant/Storm.  My personal best pylon time is 1:55, driven by lucky streaks of procs and sufficient misses by the pylon.  I suspect an Illusion controller with perma-PA could beat that time (and out damage me in any other single-target test).

For AE farming, I normally run an underground map (Arc #318), because the support columns allow me to break LOS and force mobs to regroup.  (On the asteroid map, there's no way to keep bad guys in front of me for continuous spamming of Seeds of Confusion.)  In my testing, Creepers does ~50% of my total damage.  Of that, 75% comes from procs.  

I'd love to try to help quantify DPS potential of the various sets, if anyone has ideas on a good testing framework.

Single target, Ill/storm because you dont need to worry about survivability, so you can just focus on the damage aspects of storm. 

The combo wont likely come close to ill/cold vs gms where -regen can be very valuable. 

/cold can pump out way more -res than anyone else over a short period of time (sleet, hl, and achilies infrig). Most secondaries will never catch up.

aoe is plant. Poison makes way better use of seeds and carrion  than other secondaries. Poison trap can do quite  a bit of aoe damage. But most people think poison sucks because some forum gurus said so. In which case  plant/storm can tear through aoe content quickly, so can plant/ta. 

At the end of the day you can make a controller that can contend with some top builds in single target kill speeds, but no controller is in the upper echelon of aoe damage on a farm and definitely not in a run and gun setting.