Any one have experience with high end psi melee?

Dz131

I know that it s garbage again pretty much any thing with high psi resist, which is like all the AVs and 50% of end game content.  But has anyone tried to build a high end verison loaded with procs?  If so how did it perform?

1 hour ago, Dz131 said:

I know that it s garbage again pretty much any thing with high psi resist, which is like all the AVs and 50% of end game content.  But has anyone tried to build a high end verison loaded with procs?  If so how did it perform?

Terribly.

The animations aren't crisp or fast as Claws/ or Dark Melee/.

Separately, my personal understanding going procs is, while nice, doesn't make sense by rolling brute.  Similar to the difference in ease to reach softcap between corrupters and defenders, since defenders can reach soft cap easily, the easier soft cap but lower damage of defenders requires procs for defenders to deal reasonable damage.  The corrupter, while higher base damage, has a harder time reaching soft cap so you can't really slot for procs.

Thus, if aiming for proc build, go all out procs and go tank instead of brute so that you can reach soft cap easier than a brute.  Perhaps the exception to this is if you rolled a defense-based armor set like /SR or /Energy Aura...  But due to bad animations and big resistance to psychic damage by AVs I suggest not psychic melee at all.

Summary: if you want melee proc builds, optimized is Tanker (to reach soft cap easier, therefore reach insane global recharge easier not using Agility alpha, and because proc don't scale to AT damage), and Claws or Dark Melee or animations times less than 1.3 seconds with long recharge times to increase proc chance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Obus Form said:

Terribly.

The animations aren't crisp or fast as Claws/ or Dark Melee/.

Separately, my personal understanding going procs is, while nice, doesn't make sense by rolling brute.  Similar to the difference in ease to reach softcap between corrupters and defenders, since defenders can reach soft cap easily, the easier soft cap but lower damage of defenders requires procs for defenders to deal reasonable damage.  The corrupter, while higher base damage, has a harder time reaching soft cap so you can't really slot for procs.

Thus, if aiming for proc build, go all out procs and go tank instead of brute so that you can reach soft cap easier than a brute.  Perhaps the exception to this is if you rolled a defense-based armor set like /SR or /Energy Aura...  But due to bad animations and big resistance to psychic damage by AVs I suggest not psychic melee at all.

Summary: if you want melee proc builds, optimized is Tanker (to reach soft cap easier, therefore reach insane global recharge easier not using Agility alpha, and because proc don't scale to AT damage), and Claws or Dark Melee or animations times less than 1.3 seconds with long recharge times to increase proc chance.

Ouch, I figured DPA was going to be an issue.  Thanks for the insight!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later

Out of curiosity, how much would going Bio Armor as a secondary for that extra Toxic damage help? I kind of want to give Psi a solid try, since I did most of the melee sets to death on Live. And before anyone says "just try it," most of the issues with Psi resist are past level 40.

I have a Psi/Bio Brute that is a lot of fun. I haven't gotten around to tricking her out with purples and ATOs and such, yet. I'll let you know how it goes once I do.

I hope it doesn't suck. I already trashed a TW/Rad brute because it sucked. Don't want to do another. Then again, it could just be that I should switch to scrappers for melee DPS builds. 

Well I ended up building the toon.  Ended up being okay, the t9 is very lackluster, its basically a Footstomp, but unfortunately, Rage >>> Insight, so it's a much worse version.  The animations also feels slightly wack on pretty much all the skills except Greater Psi Blade.  It solos 54x8 fine and has around 330-4 pylon time(only proc monster version, set bonuses version is much much worse).  Overall I give it a 6.5-7/10.

Edited by Dz131

19 hours ago, Dz131 said:

Well I ended up building the toon.  Ended up being okay, the t9 is very lackluster, its basically a Footstomp, but unfortunately, Rage >>> Insight, so it's a much worse version.  The animations also feels slightly wack on pretty much all the skills except Greater Psi Blade

That sounds like my experience with my recent Psi/Bioarmor Brute. The AoE on the T9 is tiny, plus it comes out slow with the damage on the very end, so you frequently waste it or miss completely. It also makes for an iffy opener, since it doesn't get you much rage, hits only things very close to you, and has a slow animation that eats up a lot of Build Up time. The weird disconnect between the smooth, quick psi blade skills and the slow, clunky telepathic attacks is both thematically and mechanically frustrating.

Boggle isn't explicitly bad, but serves no useful function in a game where minions and LTs are no threat to you anyway.

Greater Psi Blade is very satisfying, but Psi Blade Sweep also suffers from a frustratingly small cone, much like the T9 power.

Insight is kind of a non-mechanic, something that kind of happens but not something you actually play around or with.

I made the character for RP reasons, but would be disappointed with Psi Melee otherwise.