Atlas Park Theme Remake Comparison Video (New Mod)

Solarverse

So I made a new Mod and would like people's honest opinion. I'm sure you remember the Character Creation theme I remade and posted a good while back, and now I offer this as an alternative solution. Originally I wanted to make the video of in game footage when I enter Atlas Plaza, but that is against the rules temporarily. So for now, it's a video with music and titles only. First is the original, after is the new remade version. Hope you enjoy!

Remastered after taking feedback in to consideration.

Edited by Solarverse

Honest opinion, could you post a version without the treble percussion sound (I'm not sure what instrument it is), or switch it out for a bassier thud? It's oddly distracting, so much that I'm struggling to register the rest. I really like what I'm hearing of the main melody in that chorus voice.

1 minute ago, Lines said:

Honest opinion, could you post a version without the treble percussion sound (I'm not sure what instrument it is), or switch it out for a bassier thud? It's oddly distracting, so much that I'm struggling to register the rest. I really like what I'm hearing of the main melody in that chorus voice.

I could maybe swap it out for a bass drum if enough people request it. The sound is a sound a LOT of composers use these days in almost all of today's symphony orchestra compositions. You hear it a lot in movies themes these days, especially anything heroic.

33 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I could maybe swap it out for a bass drum if enough people request it. The sound is a sound a LOT of composers use these days in almost all of today's symphony orchestra compositions. You hear it a lot in movies themes these days, especially anything heroic.

Could you show us an example please?

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

4 minutes ago, Herotu said:

Could you show us an example please?

Granted, my version is a bit more highlighted, but all of these use a similar sound in one way or another. Some of the current Star Wars compositions use something similar as well.

• Thanks 1

By comparison, the ones in your composition are quite staccato and higher pitched. "Ding!" rather than "Whumm!"

But also, I'm not sure the theme calls for it. The sound fits an action sequence, but the Atlas Park theme is fairly static. More of an optimistic 'the adventure begins' kinda deal that you'd get on an aerial shot of the city. If you can take the motif and turn it into an action track, that would be pretty sweet, but I don't think you're there yet.

• Like 1

I couldn't listen to the Superman one because "

Video unavailable
This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

". More Copywrong horseshit.

... but that aside, the other ones sound like they have more urgency about them, as Lines states.

You *could* pretend AP is a mad hive of activity as the camera swoops in. That's what I imagine as I listen to the batman audio there.

The funky sound you use seems less jarring in these examples.

• It's approximately the same level in the mix,
  • It's got other sounds around it at the same tempo.

• Thanks 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

9 minutes ago, Lines said:

By comparison, the ones in your composition are quite staccato and higher pitched. "Ding!" rather than "Whumm!"

But also, I'm not sure the theme calls for it. The sound fits an action sequence, but the Atlas Park theme is fairly static. More of an optimistic 'the adventure begins' kinda deal that you'd get on an aerial shot of the city. If you can take the motif and turn it into an action track, that would be pretty sweet, but I don't think you're there yet.

The goal I had was to add a bit more excitement to the song, so in that I think I have achieved the goal, but I do agree it could use a bit more of a bass tone and maybe even the volume of the *snap* to be lowered considerably. Thanks for the feedback. I'll take it into consideration with my next stab at it.  🙂

3 hours ago, ZacKing said:

I very much prefer the original to be honest.

As do I. The original theme has a bass punch track that underlies the main melodic line; the new theme has a bright, brassy punch track that, in my judgement, stomps all over the main melodic line.

It feels like the perky little sidekick sister version of the original. I won't say it's bad, but I think I would use it elsewhere in the game with a different composition. This could be very Pocket D worthy.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Nice work, @Solarverse.  I prefer the updated version - like Lines, I found the original's percussion distracting.

Overall: I'm thinking about it in terms of that thing some games and movies do where there are multiple versions of the theme, used depending on mood and such (I believe you can see this in action in Kingdom Hearts, Mass Effect, and the Lord of the Rings films have this set up for individual characters).  Like, when Ms. Liberty busts in and saves the day, with other iconic named characters on either side of her, they would play your version.

• Thanks 1