DM/SR build critique

PhillyPhil26

2 minutes ago, Werner said:

I should note for the OP that we've been optimizing around the survival aspect of AV soloing rather than the DPS aspect. DPS will be sufficient with these builds, but you're not going to set any Pylon soloing records. Survival was always my AV approach, but DPS is itself a survival tool.

Absolutely.  The build I posted goes for the optimal attack chain, but does not even come close to maximizing the damage.  My builds all tend towards max survival and good ability to exemplar (I didn't pay attention to exemplaring on this build, though).

Werner - I used your brute StJ/SR build as a template (copy!) but ported it into my scrapper. Thanks for the build. Mostly the only differences were somewhat minor in having to take evasion later which I might find in play that its not so minor (I'll let you know how that turns out) You have been one of my go to guys for solid advice on the forums. Thank you! 

• 4 weeks later
On 4/6/2020 at 7:58 PM, Werner said:

With the new wider cone, I'd very likely take Shadow Maul now. I don't think I had it on my old DM/SR. I'm on Excelsior.

Hey Werner, 

So until i'm able to afford the more expensive sets  Im currently playing as this build.

Highlights are:

defense:

54% Melee

58% Range

44% AoE

S/L resist 40%

Regen 284%

Health 119.9%

What do you think of this one? I had high hopes seeing as his defense is so high but i am little disappointed.

Im using the briggs S/L island farm as a way to judge this toons survival. Not sure if thats smart or not.

He's does fine on +2x8, but not well on +4x8 which surprised me seeing as his defense is so high. I "assumed" S/L content even at +4x8 that i could be a "tank" with that high of defense and "reasonable" resistance. Maybe 40% isn't reasonable?

Also, when i do the +4x8 i don't feel like siphon life does much. is that because my health isn't very high, or the way i have it slotted? maybe both?

Any suggestions?

I went with the agility spiritual alpha based on another players recommendation of it for perma soul drain.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Impulsive Bart: Level 50 Science Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Dark Melee
Secondary Power Set: Super Reflexes
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Smite -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(9), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Mk'Bit-Dam%(34)
Level 1: Focused Fighting -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def(3), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(7), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(42), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(46)
Level 2: Focused Senses -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(5), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(7), LucoftheG-Def(19), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(50)
Level 4: Shadow Maul -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(5), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(13), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), Obl-%Dam(45)
Level 6: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(21)
Level 8: Maneuvers -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(9), RedFrt-Def(15), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(25), RedFrt-EndRdx(43), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 10: Super Speed -- Run-I(A)
Level 12: Agile -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(13), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(15)
Level 14: Practiced Brawler -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 16: Combat Jumping -- Rct-ResDam%(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(25), Rct-Def(34), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Rct-Def/Rchg(48), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 18: Dodge -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 20: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 22: Siphon Life -- TchofDth-Dam%(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), Hct-Dam%(23), Mk'Bit-Dam%(27), TchofDth-Dmg/Rchg(27), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(29)
Level 24: Quickness -- Run-I(A)
Level 26: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(29), GldArm-3defTpProc(31)
Level 28: Weave -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def(31), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(31), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(33), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(46), RedFrt-EndRdx(48)
Level 30: Dark Consumption -- EffAdp-EndMod(A), EffAdp-EndMod/EndRdx(33), EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(37), EffAdp-EndMod/Acc/Rchg(39), EffAdp-Acc/Rchg(39), EffAdp-EndMod/Acc(39)
Level 32: Soul Drain -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-Rchg(33), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(34), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(40), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(42)
Level 35: Midnight Grasp -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), TchofDth-Dam%(36), TchofDth-Dmg/Rchg(36), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx(43)
Level 38: Lucky -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(40)
Level 41: Focused Accuracy -- AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(A), AdjTrg-ToHit(42)
Level 44: Evasion -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 47: Physical Perfection -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Prv-Absorb%(48)
Level 49: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Critical Hit 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(21), RgnTss-Regen+(37), NmnCnv-Heal(50)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(19), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(37), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(45)
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Spiritual Total Core Revamp 
------------

1 hour ago, PhillyPhil26 said:

Im using the briggs S/L island farm as a way to judge this toons survival. Not sure if thats smart or not.

He's does fine on +2x8, but not well on +4x8

I think your hopes may be a little high. A typical Brute fire farmer probably has both 45% defense and 90% resistance to fire. You're taking 6x that much damage on fewer hit points, at least until your hit points start to dwindle, at which point it slows down due to scaling resists, but it never draws close to even. But I wouldn't be too worried if AVs are your goal. You may already have enough survivability for many even-level AVs, though I do suggest slotting Siphon Life for healing in addition to damage. It's a key power and you have to make it do everything. And then I'd go fight some AVs, and only get worried if they pound me into the pavement.

I'm still working on incarnates on my DM/SR Brute, but I can give the farm a shot after work. I suspect I'll live, but I suspect it will be painful. It might kill me, though. And that's with 700 more hit points and Siphon Life slotted for healing. It should be easier once I pick up Rebirth.

This is the one I am planning to do... sometime I guess (damn altitis). Not sure about Cross Punch, mainly is just to try the power and gain another cone, if I don't like it, might get SPring Attack instead because I like jumping in the middle of the grp and activate Soul Drain or just rework the power selection order, squeeze a slot from somewhere and get a 6 slotted Tactics. For now, on paper this I think should suffice. Another option would be incorporating Maneuvers and going for Musculature Alpha instead, that'd mean a 3 / 4 seconds gap on Hasten out of Ageless but I guess I can live with that. Ah, choices choices. Any input would be welcome, please.

Level 50 Magic Scrapper
Power Pool: Concealment
Ancillary Pool: Blaze Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Smite -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(42), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Mk'Bit-Dam%(43)
Level 1: Focused Fighting -- RedFrt-EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(3), RedFrt-Def(5), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(7), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(9), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(11)
Level 2: Shadow Maul -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(39)
Level 4: Focused Senses -- RedFrt-EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def(5), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(7), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(9), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(11), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(13)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- Ksm-ToHit+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(17), LucoftheG-Def(29), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31), Rct-ResDam%(40)
Level 8: Siphon Life -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(15), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(21)
Level 10: Practiced Brawler -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Agile -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(13)
Level 14: Super Jump -- Jump-I(A)
Level 16: Dodge -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 18: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 20: Quickness -- Run-I(A)
Level 22: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(23), UnbGrd-Max HP%(23), UnbGrd-ResDam(37), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(46), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(50)
Level 24: Weave -- RedFrt-EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def(25), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(25), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(31), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(34), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 26: Soul Drain -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(27), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(27), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), Obl-%Dam(43)
Level 28: Lucky -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(40)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 32: Midnight Grasp -- SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprCrtStr-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprCrtStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(34)
Level 35: Evasion -- Srn-EndRdx(A), Srn-Def(36), Srn-Def/EndRdx(36), Srn-Def/Rchg(36), Srn-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 38: Char -- Acc-I(A)
Level 41: Melt Armor -- Acc-I(A)
Level 44: Cross Punch -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(45), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(45), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(45), ScrDrv-Acc/Rchg(46)
Level 47: Fire Ball -- Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Rgn-Dmg(48), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(29), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(50)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 50: Ageless Partial Core Invocation 
Level 50: Agility Partial Core Revamp 
------------

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!

On 5/8/2020 at 11:52 AM, Werner said:

I'm still working on incarnates on my DM/SR Brute, but I can give the farm a shot after work. I suspect I'll live, but I suspect it will be painful.

I ended up playing with friends last night after work, but I just went and tried this +4x8 on my DM/SR Brute. Probably a different map. Comicon S&L Outdoor Edition. Outdoor map, ambushes to keep you at the aggro cap, at least for a little while. It wasn't as bad as I expected, at least for the 15 minutes or so I punched things before giving up because it was just so slow. I think the lowest my hit points got was maybe 1/4 or 1/3, and not often, and it was moving slowly enough I wasn't too worried. I never took an inspiration. If I'd had Rebirth like planned, it wouldn't have been used either.

I think the biggest difference between our experiences are Brute hit points and Siphon Life slotted for healing. Your Siphon Life heals 134 hit points with a 2.63 second recharge and 2.112 second Arcanatime for about 28 hit points per second of healing. Mine heals 304 hit points with a 3.19 second recharge for 57 hit points per second, so double yours. More than double when we're just using it in the attack chain rather than every time it's recharged, as would be typical. I have more passive regeneration at 25 vs. 19, mostly due to the extra Brute hit points. I have a Power Transfer proc, which is another 4 hit points per second. Anyway, all taken together, I'm probably taking about the same damage you are, but healing it twice as quickly, which was enough to keep up.

Not that you want to take up a career in farming on DM/SR, but targeting bosses first is probably the way to go when ambush farming with a mostly single-target build. I didn't do that, I just hit whatever got randomly selected, but where things might get more dangerous is when your aggro cap starts getting saturated with bosses. You want to keep it mostly minions and lieutenants. If Mids was right, you still need to pick up the hit point accolades, and that may help a little. Slotting Siphon Life for healing in addition to damage would help even more.

I was just about to make a post about DM/SR and needing opinions. Mind if I post a build?

Level 50 Magic Scrapper
Ancillary Pool: Blaze Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Smite -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(5), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(13)
Level 1: Focused Fighting -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(15), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(15), Rct-Def/Rchg(17), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(17), Rct-ResDam%(19)
Level 2: Focused Senses -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(19), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(21), LucoftheG-Def(21), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(23)
Level 4: Boxing -- Acc-I(A)
Level 6: Super Jump -- Jump-I(A)
Level 8: Siphon Life -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Hct-Acc/Rchg(9), Hct-Dmg(11), Hct-Dam%(11), Heal-I(13)
Level 10: Practiced Brawler -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Agile -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A)
Level 14: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-End/Res(31), GldArm-3defTpProc(42), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(43), UnbGrd-Max HP%(43)
Level 16: Dodge -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 18: Dark Consumption -- Obl-Dmg/Rchg(A), Obl-%Dam(25), Erd-%Dam(37), ScrDrv-Dam%(40), Arm-Dam%(40), Obl-Acc/Rchg(42)
Level 20: Quickness -- Run-I(A)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Weave -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(25), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(27), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(27), RedFrt-Def(29), RedFrt-EndRdx(29)
Level 26: Soul Drain -- Obl-Acc/Rchg(A), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(31), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Obl-%Dam(37), GssSynFr--Build%(50)
Level 28: Lucky -- Ksm-ToHit+(A)
Level 30: Shadow Maul -- Obl-Acc/Rchg(A), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(43), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Obl-%Dam(48)
Level 32: Midnight Grasp -- SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprCrtStr-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprCrtStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(34)
Level 35: Evasion -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36), LucoftheG-Def(36), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(37)
Level 38: Ring of Fire -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Apc-Acc/Rchg(39), Apc-Dmg(39), Apc-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Melt Armor -- Acc-I(A)
Level 44: Fire Ball -- Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(45), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Rgn-Dmg(46), Ann-ResDeb%(46)
Level 47: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(48)
Level 49: Elude -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Prv-Heal(23), Mrc-Rcvry+(42), Pnc-Heal/+End(50), Prv-Absorb%(50)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(3), PwrTrns-+Heal(3)
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
------------

Just looking for input. Goals were soft capped defenses (I feel if I am in incarnate content I am getting buffed out the butt anyways), at least 50% S/L res, and procs in powers that take advantage of em.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.

@Werner

Hey Werner,

I just succeded in solo'ing my first AV!!!

Was Battle Maiden but only at lvl 50. So nothing challenging really.

I beat her in im gonna guess about 10min.

Just wanted to share with you since your av youtube videos were my inspiration for always wanting to be able to do this hehehe.

Ya he's not my farmer, and actually not sure if i will take the time and influene to try to get him to be able to solo +4 AV's.
I guess i more just want more like this experience wanna be able to take on AV's in general without dying. But it's ok if its +0 or +1 or +2, doesn't have to be +4.

As for the farm map I only use that to judge his survivability. cuz ya i figure if can solo survive +4x8, then when he's in teams he'll be plenty fine.

• 1 year later