Final Fantasy XIV

ZeeHero

That's why I only raid with people I know. My new static, which is teaching people to raid, is all my buds. Every data center has toxic players since I had two different aether based statics. One was amazing, the other was full of people who said racial/homophobic slurs all the time and got mad at the littlest things. 

Though what we can all agree on is Balmung is trash.

Yeah, for sure. I think if you're a party finder goer, crystal is absolutely a no-go except in very lucky circumstances. Crystal people usually drop after 2-3 wipes and it can be very annoying. I'm a dirty RPer on FFXIV, so I stay on Crystal, ultimately. Though the RP scene there is...Well, I also stick to just my friends, now, too, to put it nicely lol. Too many people come at me because I main a Male Au Ra and wanna do the Dirty Things™. They don't always bugger off when I tell them I'm a girl, too. 

It's not party finder. PF on Crystal is 10x a better bet than looking for a regular static.

The issue is only 3 kinds of statics exist on Crystal. Tight knit friends only clubs which new people never get into, Childish, mentally 8 year old elitist scum who pretend to be causals but kick you from the static becuase you only did a little above the bare minimum for a clear, or didnt learn all the mechanics in the first few tries, or people SO casual they dont actually raid since half the group never shows.

Yeah well sadly 90% of us dont actually have 7 friends who play on the same data center and can be convinced to raid. 8 out of 10 people who were ever decent enough and knew me long enough to become real friends are terrified of anything tougher than an early game monster hunter boss.

Balmung is ground zero for the dirty thingsTM too. A friend of mine who also is an RPer received the strangest tells when he AFKed once in there and then another on his female miqo'te. It was wild.

• Like 1

"Yeah, I think I'm peeking too, and I'm pika-pika-pikatchu."

• 2 weeks later
59 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

How is the combat system? Is there any sense of force or physics?

Basically, do things act like you actually hit them? Or are just lights and numbers?

Example, I still cackle when I punch a mob in the air and hits a low ceiling.

The combat doesn't have the same 'oomph' as City, per se, but the combat itself is more active as some classes require you to attack your target from different angles. You also have to actually dodge some attacks in the game, as opposed to City where you're reliant purely on numbers to do the dodging for you.

Black Desert has a lot of what you might be looking for if you're looking for a game with a lot of 'feedback' to your attacks, but I find Black Desert to be a little dull, since if you're not into PVP, there's really nothing to do in the end game except grind.

Edited by Moka

Thank you both. I kinda guessed that from the videos I had watched. I have heard of Black Dessert, but I don't enjoy PvP.

I have not found a game that has the "oomph" feeling of COX combat.

I remember the first time I punched a mob into the air with full Fury on my newbie brute.

I laughed for a whole minute it was so enjoyable.

Whether COH combat has "oomph" is up for serious debate. it's literally the games weakest point. COH is strong in its freedom to make what you want. Combat fails utterly, not that its entirely the fault of the devs who made it, it was pre WoW stone age.

I think the actual 'oomph' of City of Heroes combat exists in terms of it really does have feedback to it and you're knocking things around, but there's not a lot of depth. It's essentially a Dynasty Warriors game with hotbars. CoX is never going to ask anything complex of you, like FFXIV will, sans in very, very rare circumstances. 

Really the physics effects came later, the 'oomph' of CoX combat is that the devs took time to animate a variety of hit reactions so you feel like your character is connecting in a pretty visceral way with their attacks.  It's not something later MMOs really did much of because its time consuming and requires more complicated NPCs.  Pugilist/Monk in FF14 can feel that way, but its not as satisfying as like say Broadsword.

A really cool screenshot I got that captures that NPC hit reaction action, an an example.  What sells it is reaction, not the punch alone.Arena1.thumb.jpg.f4669f9e69da382ac0c34022910bc3fe.jpg

• Like 2

It kind of overall depends what I'm in the mood for. FFXIV is a better designed game as far as combat, dungeons, and map layout goes as well as it being an overall extremely beautiful game with cinematic presentation to its boss fights.

But if I want to turn my brain off and look at cool superheroes then I play CoX. lol.

• Like 2

• 4 months later

I wouldn't say best, because that depends what you're looking for, but it is best if you like being an edgelord with a giant sword, yes I am an evil necromancer, fight me, ARISE THREAD, LONG SINCE DEAD, HAUNT THINE FORUMS ON WHICH THOU WERT CREATED!

• 10 months later

I'm interested in trying out FFXIV. I've started the free trial a couple times in the past but never got past the early levels. Getting back into Homecoming has reawakened my passion for MMOs. Wanted to ask other FFXIV players some questions about the game before I try taking the plunge again:

In FFXIV, I seem to spend a lot of time running from place to place (before you find the teleport locations). Does that improve? I feel a bit spoiled by CoH's travel powers.

I know the powers are all fixed, but is there any room for build customization? What is the FFXIV equivalent of slotting?

Similarly, in the endgame, what differentiates one player from another if there isn't much room for customization? How much does player skill make a difference? What differentiates an amazing player from an OK one?

Is there a marketplace similar to CoH's global marketplace?

I'm focusing on a lot of things I love about CoH that I think I would miss. Flipping that around: what do you really love about FFXIV that CoH does NOT have?

Thank you!

Build customization is not really a thing outside  different skill/spell speed tiers and such for gear- this is actually a good thing for FFXIV as it allows for far superior class balance to literally any other mmo, and one character is all jobs so no need for alts (Alts actually end up wasting your time, its the ONLY game I only have one character)

You'll get a chocobo after a level 20 story quest, and can ride it around where you need to go til you get the  crystals.

For endgame what differentiates players is the job they play and their skill at it. Player skill makes a HUGE difference. the difference between a player who just picked up a job and one who has taken the time to truly master it is huge. but most jobs are fairly easy to get a basic mastery of, enough for most content.

skill ceiling high, skill floor medium to high depending. usually healers/tanks have a lower skill floor than dps.

There is a global market per server, you post things via "Retainer" NPCs and pick up your gil from them when you make a sale. retainers also function as a bank, and you can even send them to get you gathering items if you've gathered them yourself once.

What FFXIV has that COH Does not? A far far better story, in fact easily in the top 3 in Final Fantasy overall (not that COH writing is bad, it just is never going to compete with the best)

it also has far better done mechanics and content, and more of it especially at high levels, much more polish and better designed. not that COH did particularly poorly for its time but it is a dinosaur of a game, far more so than most still around.

and music. the best music. Soken is a god of music! even puny mortal cancer couldn't stop him.

Also you can still look pretty unique and cool in FFXIV once you learn how the glamor system works. its not COH levels of customization but its significant once u figure it out.

Edited by ZeeHero
  • Thanks 1

I currently do the latest level 90 savage raids with a fixed group 2 nights a week, but this is the only way I can really reccomend doing the highest end content, and finding a group which fits and is chill and fun is really the true savage, lol. I'm lucky I found mine.

Whether this kind of difficult content is fun is VERY dependent on not only your attitude but that of the group you play with, which means finding the right group is all important.

Savage is very mechanic intense and will usually punish the group hard for small mistakes, but it's something you learn with practice so your group does better each pull. since a clear from start to finish normally takes no more than ten minutes, you're able to keep trying and doing better instead of slogging for an hour on a single try, that's WHY enrage timers exist. (as well as to prevent people from stacking tanks and healers, but FFXIV will punish that with slow Limit break building too)

Edited by ZeeHero

• 3 months later
On 2/2/2022 at 1:32 PM, ZeeHero said:

You'll get a chocobo after a level 20 story quest, and can ride it around where you need to go til you get the  crystals. figure it out.

Chocobos.  I am reminded of this old quote...

"The six-foot bird-steeds known as chocobos are a nice addition to the cuter incarnations of Final Fantasy. However, tradition demands that they be included in every installment, even the angst-suffused grimfests. So you get characters saying things like, 'Who are all of us really? Can you ever know your own soul?' and in the background someone's riding a giant chicken." Lore Sjoberg

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember that game. back when I Was like 10, my dad used to take me and my brother to his office where he worked as a software engineer after hours sometimes when he had to get more work done and we'd play stuff like that on some of the computers.

I'm aware it was probably an arcade game but it had a mac version at some point. 

Edited by ZeeHero