Final Fantasy XIV

ZeeHero

Amazing game for well designed endgame challenge, Story, and variety of different stuff to do, and my #1 ranked MMO community, and friendly to those very new to MMOs, FFXIV is probably the best MMO on the market hands down (before you have a hissy fit, COH is NOT on the market lol).

Looks good, characters look wonderful, although the customization is of course quite limited compared to COH.

20200412045505_1.thumb.jpg.b067287a1073193b6be409f6cfbaff61.jpg20200219191227_1.thumb.jpg.19b03d06278ed6ea99ed00d562ca265e.jpg

20200110135835_1.jpg

Currently downloading the free trial to check it out. I remember being in the beta for the original game and not liking it at all but I kno it's a totally different thing now and heard good things, so I'll give it a free go at least.

2 hours ago, Coin said:

Currently downloading the free trial to check it out. I remember being in the beta for the original game and not liking it at all but I kno it's a totally different thing now and heard good things, so I'll give it a free go at least.

It tends to be hit or miss whether people immediately like it since its a bit hand holdy and slow story progress at first- they have an update in a patch or two which is supposed to address the slow story prog- to get rid of some fillery stuff not needed for story. Combat doesn't come into its own till higher levels- but thats COH and most other MMOs as well.

Keep in mind the free trial has some annoying limitations as a neccesary anti bot measure.. bots are a thing anyway in non expansion zones but it'd be a lot worse without those limitations.

Namely, you cannot send tells, join a free company, or trade with other players.

If you don't have friends there already, try Coeurl server on Crystal Data center. it's where I play, if you find me on there I can help you out if you need it, I didn't become a mentor there for no reason.

my character is Sylvina Eon and theres no handles so, look for her.

Been trying it out, early days for me yet, only up to lvl 4 so far and 3 attacks 😄

Seems interesting, if a little slow paced so far. Rolled a Thaumaturge on a free trial, if I like it I'll keep going for a while, perhaps.

Not entirely sure I understand the whole Data centre things? Are these like servers on here? And why are there so many??

Well, at those low levels you won't have many attacks but at max level your skill bar would look like this on a Black Mage: which is what Thaumaturge can and should be post lvl30ish: 20191214203052_1.thumb.jpg.231118a127a79b26460b11ddb4f448d8.jpg

Each Data center is completely seperate like servers on COH. random groups in dungeons go across servers but NOT data centers. I am on the Crystal North American one, on Coeurl server.

Unfortunately reasons I'd rather not discuss unexpectedly resulted in a hiatus from the game for me and I do not know when I will go back.

Oh heres my Paladin skill bar, also level 80.

20200129194335_1.jpg

Edited by ZeeHero

32 minutes ago, spectralhunter said:

FF XIV is offering a week trial to those who bought the game and cancelled their sub. I still have my character on the old balmung legacy server. 

I should love it but honestly I’m not a big fan of anime mmos. Too many catgirls and now bunnies.

I have good news for you. it's not an Anime MMO. Anime refers to something else. It's a Japanese style CGI game as far as art goes- looks fantastic- and you wont be forced to be a catgirl or wascally wabbit if you dont want to.

The lore and world is also really good compared to the vast majority of games.

18 minutes ago, ZeeHero said:

I have good news for you. it's not an Anime MMO. Anime refers to something else. It's a Japanese style CGI game as far as art goes- looks fantastic- and you wont be forced to be a catgirl or wascally wabbit if you dont want to.

The lore and world is also really good compared to the vast majority of games.

Tomato. To-ma-toe. To me they are basically the same. 

Yes the graphics are great. And yes I don’t have to roll up a cat or bunny. The point is I don’t like seeing them everywhere while I’m playing.

• 3 weeks later

I absolutely love this game. It doesn't do anything that is particularly new, but it's all done SO WELL. My only request is that they add Bangarr as a race. Won't happen but gosh I want it... I want it, I want it, I want it! I haven't played it much recently, but I know I'll return to it someday. I play a Lalafell cause there is nothing more amusing than to have a serious cutscene DESTROYED by a small idiot.

@rajjypants - Everlasting Server

2 hours ago, Yoru-hime said:

FFXIV does what it does very well and the music is wonderful.

I played for a while, but the DPS queue and all the forced teaming broke me.  I still buy every OST they release though.

You're not the only one.  The Massively OP podcast talked about this a couple of weeks ago.  A couple of the hosts won't play FF 14 because of the forced dungeons, and I can't say that I blame them.

Star Wars: The Old Republic certainly has its issues, but I'm glad that you can do everything except for raids/operations solo now.

2 minutes ago, Apparition said:

You're not the only one.  The Massively OP podcast talked about this a couple of weeks ago.  A couple of the hosts won't play FF 14 because of the forced dungeons, and I can't say that I blame them.

Star Wars: The Old Republic certainly has its issues, but I'm glad that you can do everything except for raids/operations solo now.

If you wont play an MMO because having to (OH NO!) group up with other players once in awhile is a deal breaker then MMOs are simply not for you. CoH attracts a lot of people who hate MMOs because its so different.

I certainly respect the desire to solo, because solo content and ability to solo most things is just as important as team content quality, but no one said you have to be able to solo everything.

Edited by ZeeHero

• 1 month later

I played it, but left due to the forced grouping and exorbitant cutscenes.

Its one thing to encourage grouping, but to actually force it as part of a linear progression? Hard to swallow... although i did play through 5.2 Shadowbringers.

It's very fun and polished, but not for people that dont like anime.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, westrale said:

I played it, but left due to the forced grouping and exorbitant cutscenes.

Its one thing to encourage grouping, but to actually force it as part of a linear progression? Hard to swallow... although i did play through 5.2 Shadowbringers.

It's very fun and polished, but not for people that dont like anime.

Wrong on all counts. unless you are rabidly antisocial the grouping isnt an issue. FFXIV's community is better than the lauded COH community easily. there should be no issue with grouping for a story dungeon once in awhile.

and Anime? really? you use the word yet have no understanding of what it means. FYI its not "Anime" all your arguments are invalid. you may not like it, but none of your reasons pan out.

• 1 month later

Well, anyway, that big "smooth everything out" patch dropped recently and I made a new account to take advantage of the unlimited free trial. 

I previously played the game up to about level 8 during a free month back when I bought my CPU and while I haven't scratched the surface of this thing yet, there are two things that stand absolutely head and shoulders above any MMO I've ever played. 

First, the UI. It's so ridiculously clean and easy to use. It's intuitive in every possible way, with tons of customization and scalability. Nothing really comes close. 

Second, the music is incredible. Just the walking around music is a joy to listen to and I feel like using my Sennheiser headphones is not a waste for this great OST. 

I'll admit I've been a Final Fantasy fan for.... 22-23 years so of course there are nostalgia hits peppered in all around, but overall I'm really looking forward to keeping up with the game, especially when CoH gets boring between updates. 

• Like 1

For how different it is in so many ways from COH, FFXIV became the game in which I took refuge after the shutdown. The world, story, and music so quickly absorbed me to the point that I've now sunk 4000 hours into it. It scratches a different itch than COH - perhaps because of the fantasy writer in me - but my time there has been phenomenal. And the most recent expansion, Shadowbringers, has had my favorite story in the game to date.

My experience with the community has been great as well. It's the first game since COH that managed to pull me out of my shell and make me stop being afraid of group content. Found a guild (a free company) that gave me a new home. It's such that I still play it, even alongside CoH!

• Like 3

Liberty and Virtue server refugee. Everlasting resident.

Main/Planned Characters:

• Astellus - Kinetic/Energy/Mu Scrapper (Magic)
  • Plasmitar - Radiation/Energy/Flame Blaster (Science)
  • Scionic - Psychic/Atomic/Soul Blaster (Mutation)
  • Safehouse - Street Justice/Energy Aura Scrapper (Magic)
  • Starshear - Energy/Atomic/Force Blaster (Science)
  • Neonstar - Luminous/Luminous Peacebringer (Natural)
  • Faerwald - Gravity/Energy/Psionic Dominator (Science)
  • Fomalhaut - Rad/Rad Sentinel (Science)

I just started the FFXIV free trial and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  There's lots to it that's similar to CoH, and lots to it that's very different (in a good way).  The free trial seems like a solo RPG that just happens in a world shared by other players that can't team up or talk to each other directly (no /tell).  But the quests are fairly typical: fedex, kill X, gather X, etc.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer