Final Fantasy XIV

ZeeHero

20 hours ago, Neogumbercules said:

From what I've heard, and I'm sure @Safehouse can elaborate on, the story and game itself starts to play more like a traditional FF game with a great, deep plot and tons of cool memorable characters once you start digging into the Heavensward content so I'm looking forward to that. 

That sounds about right. Heavensward in particular gives me vibes reminiscent of Final Fantasy 4. By Shadowbringers, the story has gone in a really cool direction, and all of the characters have been fleshed out immensely. The Shadowbringers story, especially in the beginning, has an intense and chilling aspect to it. Sometimes it feels like being in a really good, interactive movie.

Liberty and Virtue server refugee. Everlasting resident.

Main/Planned Characters:

• Astellus - Kinetic/Energy/Mu Scrapper (Magic)
  • Plasmitar - Radiation/Energy/Flame Blaster (Science)
  • Scionic - Psychic/Atomic/Soul Blaster (Mutation)
  • Safehouse - Street Justice/Energy Aura Scrapper (Magic)
  • Starshear - Energy/Atomic/Force Blaster (Science)
  • Neonstar - Luminous/Luminous Peacebringer (Natural)
  • Faerwald - Gravity/Energy/Psionic Dominator (Science)
  • Fomalhaut - Rad/Rad Sentinel (Science)

I was about to post a thread on this! I got this two days ago and I'm already level 34! I'm hooked.

I played XI in a bit back in the PS2/PS3 era but it didn't hold my interest.

This one . . .this one feels like Final Fantasy! After playing the FFVII Remake and FF15, I needed a more traditional FF feel and this game did it.

I can' t believe I'm playing a subscription MMO all these years later. 😄

(I would be paying for COH if it was still on the market. And sadly the donation windows close before I can get in. LOL)

Edited by golstat2003

On 8/20/2020 at 11:56 PM, Neogumbercules said:

Well, anyway, that big "smooth everything out" patch dropped recently and I made a new account to take advantage of the unlimited free trial. 

I previously played the game up to about level 8 during a free month back when I bought my CPU and while I haven't scratched the surface of this thing yet, there are two things that stand absolutely head and shoulders above any MMO I've ever played. 

First, the UI. It's so ridiculously clean and easy to use. It's intuitive in every possible way, with tons of customization and scalability. Nothing really comes close. 

Second, the music is incredible. Just the walking around music is a joy to listen to and I feel like using my Sennheiser headphones is not a waste for this great OST. 

I'll admit I've been a Final Fantasy fan for.... 22-23 years so of course there are nostalgia hits peppered in all around, but overall I'm really looking forward to keeping up with the game, especially when CoH gets boring between updates. 

Just want to say the music is incredibly FF and uplifting. Especially in Ul'Dann (I know I'm spelling that wrong! LOL)

11 minutes ago, Neogumbercules said:

Good lord I'm gonna keep that link on the back burner while I learn the game. 

It wont be a lot of use until you reach closer to level cap, black mage playstyle is nothing near the same until level 60, at which point everything revolves mostly  around "How can I maximize how often I use fire 4" for single target. a lot harder than it sounds.

• 2 weeks later
8 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

Okay, if there are awards for video game music, the team who worked on the FFXIV Online Series deserves it. I'm in Heavensward and the music in every new environment is better than the last. Holy Cow!

They hold the guiness world record for most original tracks in a video game, and wait until you hear Shadowbringers music.

• Like 1

• 1 month later

So finished up Shadowbringers last quest tonight. (The final trial against

Spoiler

Elmet-Selch/Hades

Spoiler

in The Tempest).

I know there is a post game, but I just want to say this was one of the most rewarding final storyline battles I've played in a while, including WoW and City of Heroes.

Overall it was a VERY VERY good expansion.

I really like FF14, and have a 60 ninja.  I think he's 60.  I do like the game but I find it requires too much time than I'm willing to put into it right now.  And the constant nodding.  I was tempted to rename my char to SirNodsAlot because that's what he does.

Edited by Xeres

On 10/30/2020 at 12:36 AM, golstat2003 said:

So finished up Shadowbringers last quest tonight. (The final trial against

Hide contents

Elmet-Selch/Hades

Hide contents

in The Tempest).

I know there is a post game, but I just want to say this was one of the most rewarding final storyline battles I've played in a while, including WoW and City of Heroes.

Overall it was a VERY VERY good expansion.

Wait until you do the final battle against SPOILERS on top of SPOILERS, the SPOILERS SPOILERS had people literally CHEERING at their computers on patch day when it came out.

The real hard part of TEA is finding 7 other people who are patient and dedicated like you, sure its incredibly hard and requires player skill, but thats a level of player skill anyone who cares will reach with practice.

it's why I didn't manage to clear it, was on crystal so you can figure how that went.. my raid leader thought disbanding was a better idea than replacing 2 people who would never show.

I genuinely would like to play, and I've made a few false starts (with some incredibly cool looking characters), but the low-level doldrums hit me especially hard in FFXIV, much more so than any other MMO.  Best analogy I can think of is that I feel like I'm running Breakout for days.  I vaguely remember that there was an update that addressed that (among other things) - is that true, and did it actually help?

17 minutes ago, TheOtherTed said:

I genuinely would like to play, and I've made a few false starts (with some incredibly cool looking characters), but the low-level doldrums hit me especially hard in FFXIV, much more so than any other MMO.  Best analogy I can think of is that I feel like I'm running Breakout for days.  I vaguely remember that there was an update that addressed that (among other things) - is that true, and did it actually help?

The update did help but it didn't change the fact that classes play pretty slow early on, or that the writing before 1st expansion just isn't as good. it did make it about 30% less quests until that point, got rid of a bunch of grindy stuff story didnt need.

It helps if you find a server where you have friends who play. I'm playing on Siren, Aether Data center now, if you have no friends elsewhere, my discord is ZeeHero#7521 and I'd be happy to help you out, you can join my server and I can be that first friend there, and introduce you to some people.

1 minute ago, Moka said:

Join crystal I have a huge epic mansion and can give you money. I sugar mommy all my friends.

And I had a medium worth well over 17 million gil, I left it all behind to quit crystal for Aether. not going back. Raiding with a static group of mature, non toxic players is important to me, and that was impossible on crystal. I tried for a long long time.