Weakness Mechanic - HOW?

Herotu

So, skimming through, I remember seeing a blurb about HOs (I think, I don't think it was Titans - though it may have been in a description) which said, paraphrased, "These make you more powerful, sure, but what cost might they have in the future?" - implying there was an idea to make them suddenly stop working or do something different vs some mob.

I was sorry to see that never happen.

Now, disclaimer, I *like* the idea of being rewarded for risk. I liked crashing T9s, draining nukes and the like. It meant you had to think, "Do I *want* to use this now, can I survive" before hitting it. And I think this was touched on already, sort of, but probably the "easiest" way ot introduce a player-controlled weakness could be... through IOs. Red set (to indicate a warning, and with warnings first thing in the descriptions,) that go "These will make you more powerful, but come with a cost," which would introduce a weakness - to a damage type, a group, something. They'd probably have to be made exclusive to each other so one set wouldn't nullify another.

... but would you want to be a more powerful 50 and suddenly take (scaled up) damage from those grey hellions when you forgot in Atlas Park? (Or something similar.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

So, skimming through, I remember seeing a blurb about HOs (I think, I don't think it was Titans - though it may have been in a description) which said, paraphrased, "These make you more powerful, sure, but what cost might they have in the future?" - implying there was an idea to make them suddenly stop working or do something different vs some mob.

I was sorry to see that never happen.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out when that description was written there was an intent to have something similar to the Kheldian Nictus/Quantum thing and have an occasional Hamidon-themed encounter randomly show up in your missions. Never happened, of course, but I could see it being a thought they had at the time.

4 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

According to Jack, he didn't. (take that with a block of salt, though)

Baloney.  Here's a link to an old setting for the game, San Angelo.  It's a city setting for gaming, based on the state capital here in California.  Note the subtitle.  (And no this isn't the only instance, just one of them.)

Hmm, trying to insert images goes weird on me.  I guess you'll have to click: https://imgur.com/wQYhjYR

I'm pretty sure we basically have this already.  Most every powerset has a counter, its just not something that slaps you across the face. 

Armor sets all have some sort of hole: Fire has a Cold and Psi hole, Invuln has a Psi hole and no offensive boost, Regen is weak to high burst damage, Dark has an Energy hole and is very endurance intensive, hence weak to sappers etc.

Control sets have certain enemies that counter them: Nemesis resist fear and confuse, Warwolves basically ignore slows, etc.

Enemies also have various damage type resists and defensive powers that make them harder to deal with.  Ghosts are a solid counter to Ice users due to their cold resistance.  Robots counter psi and lethal.  Behemoths have Invincibilty making them harder to hit in melee range.

Kudos for the creativity, but I don't think we really need an arbitrary extra mechanic tacked on.  Especially one that seems overly complicated and half (quarter?  eigth?) baked.

You want your answer?

A Nemesis.

The game looks at your build, says "aha, I got just the thing" and prints out a character specifically designed to counter your character. After X missions, your nemesis arrives, and hunts you down, following you across zone lines, even into pocket D, until you find enough players to help scare them off, or you happen to be in a group that can actually dent the thing.

A new suite of badges would of course be added to those players who assemble an impressive rogues' gallery.

I always thought they should have power pools that gave tradeoffs.  Add in some elemental pools with some thematic utility powers based on the element and offer a passive that has a +res/def and a -res/def.  A fire pool with a "Fire Aspected" passive that gave +15% fire res, -15% ice resist. Unenhancible I'd imagine.

16 hours ago, PartyKake said:

The game looks at your build, says "aha, I got just the thing" and prints out a character specifically designed to counter your character. After X missions, your nemesis arrives, and hunts you down, following you across zone lines, even into pocket D...

I would be super welcoming to have an NPC Antithesis come hunting me down. Challenge Accepted, no need for a team, I got this. Infact they better make it at least +4 to me and give it some base buffs and a couple ultimate inspirations.

I might get bruised and battered, but I'm taking that asshole down with me.

Seriously the game needs way more challenging content (but at the same time a balance for risk vs. reward, bonuses for playing the hard stuff).

On 4/21/2020 at 2:49 PM, gameboy1234 said:

Baloney.  Here's a link to an old setting for the game, San Angelo.  It's a city setting for gaming, based on the state capital here in California.  Note the subtitle.  (And no this isn't the only instance, just one of them.)

Hmm, trying to insert images goes weird on me.  I guess you'll have to click: https://imgur.com/wQYhjYR

I was just telling you what he told me when I had referenced that it was based off of Champions while asking him a question once. He was rather forceful with his denial as well.

But, as I said, take that with a block of salt. A grain of salt just won't be enough.