Costume Coloring - Transparent

There are powers that gives me no choice to not have them colored, such as protections, leadership, etc.

So instead of changing them to give me a choice such as no FX effects, as some powers do; why not provide me with a clear color to choose, so even when I am forced to have an effect, i can choose for it to be transparent.

Hugs

The reason I am asking is that some effects are very visually intrusive, I play 3rd person mode, and many times, I can't even see my character or what I am doing because of all the effects...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MsSmart said:

The reason I am asking is that some effects are very visually intrusive, I play 3rd person mode, and many times, I can't even see my character or what I am doing because of all the effects...

I completely and wholeheartedly agree. 

10 minutes ago, Solvernia said:

You can already do this. It's possible to cancel most temporary buffs like shields/etc by right clicking them under your health bar and selecting 'cancel'.

This is not a workable solution in a team setting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Solvernia said:

Sure it is. I've done it when people use those ugly ice shields on me. It takes all of, like, one second when they apply it.

If you prefer to spend your play time right click cancelling buffs instead of helping the team out, more power to you.  This is simply not a workable solution for team content where buffs are constantly being reapplied. 

3 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

If you prefer to spend your play time right click cancelling buffs instead of helping the team out, more power to you.  This is simply not a workable solution for team content where buffs are constantly being reapplied. 

I dunno, maybe I'm just used to it. Takes one second to cancel and I can do that in the middle of a power animation, even if people are wasting their time applying shields to teams that already have shields. No big deal for me.

Edited by Solvernia

As a side note... you can't change the color of someone else's buffs/effects. Plus, that doesn't look like what the OP was asking (mentioning specifically Leadership, with the little graphics that swirl around showing acc and def buffs.)

It's *probably* possible to do something with replacing it locally, but I don't know what or with what (or what it would break.)

This would only affect you.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

3 hours ago, MsSmart said:

There are powers that gives me no choice to not have them colored, such as protections, leadership, etc.

So instead of changing them to give me a choice such as no FX effects, as some powers do; why not provide me with a clear color to choose, so even when I am forced to have an effect, i can choose for it to be transparent.

Hugs

/signed.  there's way too much going on with buffs.  The effects are overdone standalone, forget about in a group environment.  Game needs a "no FX from others" option.

20 minutes ago, Greycat said:

As a side note... you can't change the color of someone else's buffs/effects. Plus, that doesn't look like what the OP was asking (mentioning specifically Leadership, with the little graphics that swirl around showing acc and def buffs.)

It's *probably* possible to do something with replacing it locally, but I don't know what or with what (or what it would break.)

This would only affect you.

@Keen posted about this in another thread of a similar topic.  From that post, it definitely seems like modifying the code locally would not be possible for the average person to do.

4 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

your average person shouldn't have to.  this is what developers are for. 

I'd rather the developers focus their efforts on more important changes that the average people aren't actually capable of doing, like creating new content and rebalancing existing content.

If the solution to your QoL problem is something you can do on your own with a couple hours of effort, then there's no reason to ask anyone else to do it for you.

Edited by Solvernia

Just now, Solvernia said:

If the solution to your QoL problem is something you can do on your own with a couple hours of effort, then there's no reason to ask anyone else to do it for you.

Tell you what dude, you go ahead and do it and post a guide here on the forums to show everyone how easy it is.  If it's that easy, go do it.  We'll wait. 

6 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Tell you what dude, you go ahead and do it and post a guide here on the forums to show everyone how easy it is.  If it's that easy, go do it.  We'll wait. 

You seem really confrontational for some reason. What's the issue?

Not being confrontational at all.  You're saying it's so easy to mod the client to fix this issue, so I'll be waiting for your guide on how to do it.  I'm curious to see your work and read how easy it was for you. 

@Solvernia  If I were playing a Defender and you were consistently cancelling my buffs, I would leave the party because I don't play dead weight simulators.  

You've suggested essentially opting out of the game, learning to author complex mods (what you're asking of players is stuff the other server developers are still struggling with), and you've pulled the "Devs have other stuff to work on" card.  In other words: 44% of the posts on this thread so far are by you, and they're all unhelpful to a Suggestion & Feedback thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Replacement said:

@Solvernia  If I were playing a Defender and you were consistently cancelling my buffs, I would leave the party because I don't play dead weight simulators.  

You've suggested essentially opting out of the game, learning to author complex mods (what you're asking of players is stuff the other server developers are still struggling with), and you've pulled the "Devs have other stuff to work on" card.  In other words: 44% of the posts on this thread so far are by you, and they're all unhelpful to a Suggestion & Feedback thread.

Not to mention one of the very first reasons @Keen gives for not trying to Mod the client is that "Modding is not easy. "  If anyone bothered to read the post, @Keen details what is involved.  That is just for one single power.  Now try to multiply that by all of them.  Modding the client for this is simply not feasible.  Neither is right clicking to cancel buffs constantly.

The truth is more in the middle. If you need a certain file type of a certain format, it's possible that no, the person doesn't know how to get *specifically* that. An OGG file? Try to hunt down something that might not be intuitively named in a PIGG viewer? No.

However, if someone creates a thread and says "Download this transparent graphic. It will be named this. Put it in this folder," more people would try it. Not everyone - I do tech support, I have people utterly baffled by "read this information off the screen," who still call the monitor the "computer" and the like, but they're great in their fields. I would *not* call them "unwilling to try." Computer-related (or generally tech-related) things are just *foreign* to them, and you know what? When they're done dealing with patients or whatever and they go home and decide they want to just play a game and not have to learn directory structures, file types and other "esoterica" *I* enjoy - that's fine. Hell, *I'm* getting to the point where I want to not have to care about it, and I do this for a living and have done it as a hobby for decades now.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

8 minutes ago, Replacement said:

I mean, the problem isn't the buffs, the problem is the graphics of the buffs. Any reasonable defender, I think, would make their buff graphics as unobtrusive as possible.

But there's always the occasional person that forgets to change their ice shields to minimal FX. There's no harm or shame in suggesting that they do so, and there's also no harm or shame in removing those buffs so that your personal experience of the game is improved as a result.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Solvernia said:

I mean, the problem isn't the buffs, the problem is the graphics of the buffs. Any reasonable defender, I think, would make their buff graphics as unobtrusive as possible.

this is why the OP asked for a way to make these transparent for him only.  If people want to design their defender to use pink flames or green ice or brown water, let them.  Give the individual a way to turn that off from their perspective.

38 minutes ago, Solvernia said:

But there's always the occasional person that forgets to change their ice shields to minimal FX. There's no harm or shame in suggesting that they do so, and there's also no harm or shame in removing those buffs so that your personal experience of the game is improved as a result.

... wow.

Just wow.

• Like 1