Options for a bruiser type melee DPS character?

Glowyrm

There are several melee primaries that fit this bill.  Street Justice is good, as is Savage Melee, which has a feral look to it. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Scrapper for pure DPS, Brute if you want some (limited) tanking capability. Stalker if you want the rogue type gameplay. 
That’s not to say Scrappers aren’t tough, but Brutes have a taunt effect on their melee attacks. (Tankers have one too, but theirs is an AoE taunt on every attack whereas Brutes is single target).

Scrappers can do critical damage, and % chance goes up based on mob type. From memory, 5% minions, 10% lieutenants, 15% bosses.

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

1 hour ago, Peacemoon said:

Scrapper for pure DPS, Brute if you want some (limited) tanking capability. Stalker if you want the rogue type gameplay. 

I'd say more "stalker if you want every combat rotation to be about combos" because of the amazing ATO enhancements.

Not that I disagree, but Stalker and Scrapper really differ in playstyle with higher complexity coming with higher damage (set for set - Titan Weapons are their own thing). Stalkers can hit for over a thousand damage, on demand but it's a more active style of play than Scrappers because of the way the ATOs add to the set. All ATs can tank with the right builds, but stalkers have a hard time holding aggro, meaning it's much more of a pure DPS class than scrappers. 

Brutes are, I think, too beginner friendly in that it has a positive feedback look that sometimes rewards antisocial play (teammates being alive is more important than fury generation and if you move on too soon the aggro cap causes the aggro to overflow onto the next highest threat, which is often the support sets). 

If you're just returning and just want to roll in and go hunt kill skuls, scrapper every time. 

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Like 2
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

If I understand the definition of a "bruiser" then a Stalker wouldn't really fit the bill.  If the OP has no interest in tanking then a scrapper is the way to go.  IMO brutes are better, but I'm a little jaded

What this team needs is more Defenders

11 hours ago, Glowyrm said:

It's been years since I played CoH.  I need a little help.  I'm interested in a bruiser type melee character that focuses on DPS, not tanking.  What are my options, Brute and Scrapper?

Thanks!

Brute, Scrapper, & Stalker can all suffice, I play Brute often I've only once been expected to tank & that was against recluse on the MLTF/STF